Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlight bulb upgrade, watt increase or LED?

IggyT

Just got my Yaris hybrid bi-tone.

like every halogen bulb car I’ve owned, I find myself checking that the lights on as they are so poor.

although not legal, I have in the past increased to 70/65w bulbs.

But now we have LED bulbs, I would like to know if I can get a better result with these?

Has anyone changed to LED and is it worth it?

Thanks

Iggy

You`ll need to know what type of bulb is fitted as standard....probably wont be H4. I`ve used H11 LED in my Auris hybrid. I found them very good, white and bright with a sharp cut off, so no dazzle to oncoming traffic. Much better than HID kits too, I found these to be unreliable and the beam is all over the place.

Have a look at these  www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOVSIGHT-H11-H8-H9-LED-Headlight-Light-Bulbs-60W-10000LM-White-Fast-Fan-Cooling/391920734393?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649  

30w each lamp so are less of a drain to the 12v Battery and hybrid system.

• Like 1

Most LED bulb kits aren't road legal in the UK.

Think you may find your Yaris uses HIR2 bulbs, which as far as I'm aware, aren't available in higher wattages. Toyota have recently introduced an Optiwhite bulb in HIR2 fitting, which is around 60% brighter than standard HIR2 bulbs. See 

https://www.toyota-europe.com/service-and-accessories/genuine-parts/toyota-genuine-bulbs

• Like 1

I think you can't fit LED bulbs unless you program the computer or else the dash warning would come up.  Also, unless your car has type approval for LED lights, you won't be insured or even legal.

My advice is to fit the Toyota Optiwhites as they are quite good in comparison to the originals.

Main issue with Yaris headlights, is the poor optics.  By far the worse I've ever owned in nearly 50 years or motoring.  The Optiwhites change the poor standard headlights into fairly ok.

Mick.