Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2008 Auris gearbox

Oisin kirk

Well lads, is there anyone who can help me with my 1.4 diesel Auris . She will engage every hear going from one to five , but going from five to one is hassle , I can’t get it from fifth to fourth . I have to hit third (which also won’t go in) then it will go into fourth . Same problem with third gear I have to hit second (which will go on ) then slot it into third ???

Pretty sure it's cable operated.  Check the cables.

Moved to the Auris club.

Does it work the same with car running, and not running? Any other things you noticed?

Does it engage when you double clutch?

How many miles, has the clutch ever been changes?

Just when it’s driving it does this , clutch drives fine , it engages when I take half half pressure off the clutch and add rpm 

Does the gear engage when you double clutch, while driving? (When in motion, press clutch, take it out of gear, release clutch, press clutch again, and try to put into gear)

Does the gear lever feel wonky, like it has a lot of free play?

20 hours ago, alan333 said:

Pretty sure it's cable operated.  Check the cables.

Certainly sounds like cables to me - or some part of the linkage, anyway. Can't speak for the Auris specifically, but I had s similar issue on a VW Passat and it was cheap and easy to fix.

You've got a pair of cables, one of which does the up/down stuff while the other one takes care of left/right movement. And there are two places where one of the cables can come out of alignment so that they don't "fit" the profile of the H gate any more. One is at the gear lever end of the business, and the other is down at the side of the gearbox. The usual thing is to check the top one first.

In my case, however, it was the bottom linkage that was sticking, due to water ingress which had fouled up a nylon bush that ought to have been moving freely. My indy garage stripped, cleaned and greased it in fifty minutes, no parts needed, and I never had the problem again. Good luck!

PS: some pics of the cable and linkage set-up from a 2008 diesel Auris in the link below. (Click on the link for more pics.) The stuff was presumably sold years ago, but it might still be worth contacting the OP for any info about his experiences?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links