Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

car struggling on slight inclines 2006 2.0 petrol manual

Robyn blackburn

my 2006 xt4 2.0l petrol is really struggling to go up hills, it really is lacking in power and having to go up them in 2nd gear isn't much fun, had this problem for a while now, ive had a new clutch a few thousand miles ago, and ive cleaned the MAF sensor, what else could it be, ive also lost nearly 10mpg while driving normally in the last few weeks (i was getting around 28-30mpg in the colder weeks and now getting around 20-24mpg) even though its about 8 degrees warmer. 

what could be causing my car to lose that much power?

I own a sprintbooster v3 which helps with this problem a little bit as it gives me that little bit more power when i put my foot down but it still doesnt help. 

I can keep my foot right to the floor in second gear going up a hill thats 14% incline and it will still not gain any speed. 

It is getting serious and scary that it persorms better off road than it does on the road.

I am wondering what your air filter is like as is sounds like it may be semi starved of air

Del

16 minutes ago, crofter said:

I am wondering what your air filter is like as is sounds like it may be semi starved of air

Del

My air filter is completely brand new, I have also cleaned out the air intake of oil and dirt, before I get it it was serviced too. I'm a mechanic but I still can't work it out, as I can't physically hear or see anything wrong

Something to do with timing - chain has stretched or tensioners worn?

Just a wild guess.  What about a damaged/collapsed catalytic converter?  Is it remotely vulnerable in a RAV4?

i have not seen any engine light, nor any codes stored in the memory, the cat maybe a problem, i will look into getting another one. i will also look into the timing chain, maybe the tensioner has gone as said above. Unlike timing belts, shains should last a lifetime without having to be replaced but if i can get an easy look at the condition of the chain without taking half the engine or equipment out of the engine bay i can check the condition of it. but there are not any knocks bangs or squeels when the engine is on... other than loud tappits on a cold day of course

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links