Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speaker Upgrades

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi 

I’d like to upgrade the Speakers in my 2008 Aygo. I understand that we have the 2 door Speakers, and then theres 2 further front Speakers just infront of the windscreen, the two tweets on the pillars i plan to leave as is.

My issue is the size i require. I am correct in saying the door speakers are 16cm, and the front dash ones are 10cm ?

And then theres the connectors, i plan on purchasing some connectors on E Bay that saves you cutting off the original blocks, however do the door speakers and front speakers share the same type and size of connector??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-C1-Peugeot-107-Toyota-Aygo-Speaker-Adaptor-Lead-Cable-Loom-Plug-Pair/250514656577?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2650

Any input much appreciated guys. Thank you

Anybody???

surely somebody has upgraded from stock to aftermarket Speakers on this club.

hiya,  I swapped my Speakers over about 6 years ago and I'm fairly sure that the adapters are the same.

I didn't think the tweeters on the pillers were up to much so never connected them when I swapped the dash Speakers over. 

Had to trim the back of the speaker grill though so that it cleared the replacement speaker.

Replaced  the door Speakers a few weeks later and was surprised that they didn't improve the sound much, should of saved the money and got the under seat sub sooner :biggrin:

I have a 2008 Aygo as well and swapped the two door Speakers (to Sony coaxial 16cm), dash speaker (to Hertz coaxial 10cm), head unit to Mutant. The biggest change I got was from the head unit swap. Toyota's head unit is unimpressive.

15 hours ago, rajivrattna said:

I have a 2008 Aygo as well and swapped the two door speakers (to Sony coaxial 16cm), dash speaker (to Hertz coaxial 10cm), head unit to Mutant. The biggest change I got was from the head unit swap. Toyota's head unit is unimpressive.

Cheers matey, im in the process of upgrading the door Speakers first, then the front in-dash speakers last, decided to crimple the connections rather than buy connection adaptors, not fussed about the tweeters on the side pillars, ill keep them as they are, after all that ill see how it goes as to whether id like to upgrade the factory stereo, i like keeping things original. 

Looked in to this years ago but didn't do anything. Aren't you all lucky with your Aygo's with your, effectively, 6 speaker system. Those of us slumming it with the 107's and C1's have to make do with just 2 Speakers!

From my research, head unit makes all the difference. There's also a fascia upgrade you can buy that lets you fit a double DIN head unit in to the car. I'm doing this myself this year as I have a double DIN from an old Honda CR-V I used to drive, which is just in the box doing nothing. 

Hi guys n girls

Door speaker upgrade complete. I really didnt want to spend too much on this project, hence 16cm JVC coaxial Speakers on budget. 

Tomorrow i intend to upgrade the fronts, 10cm version of the same JVC model as my door upgrades.

Surely these have to make a huge difference to the 15w stock install.

Im in two minds about upgrading the pillar tweeters, i happen to have a pair of Fli component tweeters lying around, the only stopping me is laziness to pull off the pillars lol.

BCD28EC3-84F0-43AD-A651-5BC59D3483E0.jpeg

7CFFD57A-27A8-4A46-9747-0BFC57D59E66.jpeg

8 hours ago, mickburkesnr said:

Looked in to this years ago but didn't do anything. Aren't you all lucky with your Aygo's with your, effectively, 6 speaker system. Those of us slumming it with the 107's and C1's have to make do with just 2 speakers!

From my research, head unit makes all the difference. There's also a fascia upgrade you can buy that lets you fit a double DIN head unit in to the car. I'm doing this myself this year as I have a double DIN from an old Honda CR-V I used to drive, which is just in the box doing nothing. 

Hi

Ahh shame, i didnt know that C1s and 107s only come with 2 Speakers, cost cutting, bit lame in a way, but hey theres always the upgrade stereo with amp powering 6 speaker option...throw in a sub too...underseat version or a compact in the boot...please dont rid of your spare wheel to build a custom sub...i recon the wheel is of more importance than a sub in my opinion guys.

I replaced my front dash Speakers and also fitted 2x 6x9's on the rear shelf. Double din sat nav etc went in after that and finally a Focal underseat sub. Biggest difference was the sub without question, really brings it all out. Its all documented in one of my threads somwhere :)

17 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Hi

Ahh shame, i didnt know that C1s and 107s only come with 2 speakers, cost cutting, bit lame in a way, but hey theres always the upgrade stereo with amp powering 6 speaker option...throw in a sub too...underseat version or a compact in the boot...please dont rid of your spare wheel to build a custom sub...i recon the wheel is of more importance than a sub in my opinion guys.

I didn't know until I had an Aygo as a courtesy car when someone hit my 107. The difference in quality between the two is night and day really. Better seats in the Aygo's!

It's one of those things, it was my daily driver so it meant more to do it but now it's used as a runaround. I may get to it soon and upgrade the stereo, with the Double DIN etc and the underseat subwoofer. I think, really, that some sound proofing on the door could make a huge difference to the sound too.

On 1/9/2018 at 11:38 AM, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Cheers matey, im in the process of upgrading the door speakers first, then the front in-dash speakers last, decided to crimple the connections rather than buy connection adaptors, not fussed about the tweeters on the side pillars, ill keep them as they are, after all that ill see how it goes as to whether id like to upgrade the factory stereo, i like keeping things original. 

Actually the after market black head unit looks far better in that space than the cheapy shiny silvery original Toyota head unit which has no MP3, SD card or blue tooth. You do not lose any function with the after market unit ( unlike some other cars) here. If you do decide to change the head unit in future, read the posts in this forum on how to switch certain wires to the after market unit since the wire harness sequence is slightly different (not difficult at all!).

Hi Sammy,

How goes it, long time no hear from .:smile:

Found adding some sound deadening pads to the metal frame around the Speakers and to to outer skin of the door panel immediately behind the speaker makes a big improvement to the sound and bass.

Also found tweeter up by the dash makes the soundstage a lot better, though they were a matched pair  with a crossover that came with the main Speakers.

Adding your own tweeters might need a bit of experimentation  to get the balance right;  perhaps try the new Speakers with your existing tweeter and see how they sound first .

cheers

Yep I think it was just a case of swopping the switched and permanent lives around. No big deal. You will soon work it out when you find all your radio stations lost when powering back up!

I didnt use an adaptor harness anyway so it made no odds. I just probed the wires to work out which was which before hardwiring.

4 hours ago, oldcodger said:

Hi Sammy,

How goes it, long time no hear from .:smile:

Found adding some sound deadening pads to the metal frame around the speakers and to to outer skin of the door panel immediately behind the speaker makes a big improvement to the sound and bass.

Also found tweeter up by the dash makes the soundstage a lot better, though they were a matched pair  with a crossover that came with the main speakers.

Adding your own tweeters might need a bit of experimentation  to get the balance right;  perhaps try the new speakers with your existing tweeter and see how they sound first .

cheers

Hey Oldcodger...my dear...long lost friend...how are you? Gosh guys myself and Oldcodger go back years and years...and go back vehicles too lol...are you still with your Corolla?

Thank you for the input guys, finished the install on my front dash Speakers, followed by a test run....not bad at all...nothing special...if anything at all to a real audio freak...but definitely a huge improvement on the stock set up...alot more clarity hit me first.

As Oldcodger mentioned, i did consider some Dynamat but my intention was just an upgrade and replace a twitching old door speaker. Im happy with the way things are now, even the stock headunit is perfectly fine for my needs added with my mp3 player or mobile phone hooked up. Im gone past fascias and harnesses lol. Getting old hey Oldcodger! Speaking of soundproofing, when it comes to aygo’s and its rattles...the entire vehicle could do with some...from the roof lining to underneath the floor pan! And thats after ones leak proofed the vehicle. But its a fun vehicle to own and drive. I love it.

ECFB001E-75BF-44E0-BE06-652226CC21A2.jpeg

12 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Getting old hey Oldcodger! Speaking of soundproofing, when it comes to aygo’s and its rattles...the entire vehicle could do with some...from the roof lining to underneath the floor pan! And thats after ones leak proofed the vehicle. But its a fun vehicle to own and drive. I love it.

Hi Sam,

Yes, like the Rolla, getting older ! though think its winning the reliability contest, over the 100k miles now and apart from standard servicing  only  needed a new clutch, wish I could say the same :laugh:

Been meaning to take a test drive in the Auris, though the new Astra sounds tempting.

When I first got the rolla, did notice some drumming from the rear so when ordering the speaker stuff got some generic sound pads  and did the boot  and spare wheel area with it and it made a noticeable difference.

You might find some of the ready make kits a cheaper option if you want to really do the whole car, typically £120 to £200 for a small car, sounds a lot but probably cheaper than buying it all yourself.

What I did find a very good diy material for cutting out noise was the Duralay Kensington carpet underlay, a mix of rubber and felt.

take care,

OC

• 2 years later...
On 1/5/2018 at 3:34 PM, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Hi 

I’d like to upgrade the speakers in my 2008 Aygo. I understand that we have the 2 door speakers, and then theres 2 further front speakers just infront of the windscreen, the two tweets on the pillars i plan to leave as is.

My issue is the size i require. I am correct in saying the door speakers are 16cm, and the front dash ones are 10cm ?

And then theres the connectors, i plan on purchasing some connectors on E Bay that saves you cutting off the original blocks, however do the door speakers and front speakers share the same type and size of connector??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-C1-Peugeot-107-Toyota-Aygo-Speaker-Adaptor-Lead-Cable-Loom-Plug-Pair/250514656577?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2650

Q

On 1/5/2018 at 3:34 PM, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Hi 

I’d like to upgrade the speakers in my 2008 Aygo. I understand that we have the 2 door speakers, and then theres 2 further front speakers just infront of the windscreen, the two tweets on the pillars i plan to leave as is.

I’ve just done mine ! A total nitemare not a matched speaker in the car. Someone has got to it before upgrade- alpine hi, 16.5 cm rear 10’s in front still hardly no reasonable sound difference to me.