Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice buying 06 T180

ScottRS

New member here.

looking at buying an 06 T180 but keep reading about the carbon build up issue. 

Is this issue still a problem as know the timespan for Toyota fixing it is gone I think? 

What other things should I be aware of if any? 

Most likely be buying one with 90-110k on the clock. 

Would be a shame to buy it and had issues as have had 3 second generation MR2’s turbo and n/a and they were Brilliant 

grateful for replies.

The 2.2 diesel engine is known for cylinder head troubles in everything it's fitted to, including Lexus.  Nobody knows the percentage of faulty ones, but personally I wouldn't own one out of warranty.  I'm sure others who've had good ones will disagree - it's your gamble.

all AD series engines within a certain time frame are potentially susceptible to the head/head gasket issue but anecdotally the T180 is most susceptible/has a higher rate. However, the actual % that develop it is believed to be very low  but only Toyota know for sure & they aren't about to release that.

I wouldn't own any modern common rail turbodiesel with a DPF out of warranty irrespective of manufacturer. An old one may be cheap but DMF, DPF, injectors etc. are all expensive. 

It comes with warranty but no enough to cover a potential engine replacement. I was wondering if if terracleaning it at intervals would keep it out of trouble. 

It's a gamble I wouldn't take.

If you know the registration number, your local toyota dealer should be able to tell you if the engine has been changed. 

I took out an extended warranty on mine which covers me for a further 2 years and includes Toyota assistance. 

Could I still get an extended warranty on a 2006 from Toyota? Was thinking of just paying a little bit extra for a private warranty with one of these companies that offer warranties on used cars. 

32 minutes ago, NORTHERN_LAD said:

If you know the registration number, your local toyota dealer should be able to tell you if the engine has been changed. 

I took out an extended warranty on mine which covers me for a further 2 years and includes Toyota assistance. 

Others on here will know more but I think it it would need to be serviced at a toyota dealers before you can get a warranty.

Mine is still under its 5 year warranty so it’s straight forward. 

Toyota extended warranties are available on cars up to 12 years old or 100,000 miles (whichever occurs first) at time of warranty purchase.

1 hour ago, ScottRS said:

Could I still get an extended warranty on a 2006 from Toyota? 

The Toyota Extended Warranty can be renewed until the vehicle is 12 years old or 100,000 miles (at the point of sale of the extended warranty)  https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/warranty/extended-warranty.json

4 minutes ago, NORTHERN_LAD said:

Others on here will know more but I think it it would need to be serviced at a toyota dealers before you can get a warranty.

Mine is still under its 5 year warranty so it’s straight forward. 

Not to mention that yours is outside the years of the potentially affected engines.

Well I’m in a bit of a difficult place as really like the cars plus seems like all the alternatives also have some sort of engine issue. I will ring the warranty people I think and see if the cover they offer covers this issue. 

Thanks for replys 

Not sure whether the car would need to be serviced by a Toyota dealer before a Toyota extended warranty may be purchased, but if a Toyota extended warranty is taken out, it would need to be serviced by a Toyota dealer during the period of the extended warranty (block exemption only applies during the new car warranty period).

Having said that, a Toyota over five years old can benefit from Toyota's cheaper Essential Care servicing scheme - https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/service-mot-maintenance/servicing.json.  So for the Rav4 the silver service (equivalent to Intermediate) current cost is £130, and for the gold (equivalent to the Full) £210.

I was thinking of getting a warranty with a used car warranty company if Toyota one is unavailable which it might be on an older car. 

What is Toyota servicing like? I hear a lot of horror stories about main dealer servicing.

Is it worth the risk buying it, knowing the possible problems it might have. What about considering other manufacturers, that's prob not what u want to hear.

1 hour ago, ScottRS said:

What is Toyota servicing like? I hear a lot of horror stories about main dealer servicing.

It depends on the dealer - there are good & bad as with any marque but they consistently score amongst the best overall in the likes of http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/driver-power/92307/best-car-dealers-2017

& with a car of that age it is eligible for the cheaper Essential Care servicing.

28 minutes ago, Ant-Rav said:

Is it worth the risk buying it, knowing the possible problems it might have. What about considering other manufacturers, that's prob not what u want to hear.

They all have issues I’ve looked through a lot of alternatives. Nissans are plagued with Renault engines that have multiple issues. I was looking at XC90 but can’t find a manual box as auto boxes can be a nightmare over 100k if not been rebuilt. 

I could live it just being a head gasket which I could fix myself but full engine replacement is crazy. 

Do you need a diesel?  The petrol Toyotas are pretty bulletproof (except the 1.8vvti til 2006).

5 hours ago, ScottRS said:

I could live it just being a head gasket which I could fix myself but full engine replacement is crazy. 

The gasket going is a symptom though so if you don't fix the root cause(s) it would probably recur.

Toyota says that the block/head on these should not be skimmed (although we know that some people have done so apparently satisfactorily).

"I could live it just being a head gasket which I could fix myself but full engine replacement is crazy"

If you can do that, then it suggests you are able to discern a dodgy engine before buying - which in turn mitigates some of the risk. Thereafter, personally I think you would be very unlucky if the engine went bang, and as no-one appears to be able to quantify just what percentage went bang previously, then I would suggest the risk of that happenning is no more than any other similar engine.

DPF on mine seems OK - afer 95K. I use decent fuel and force/frig a regen now and then, but I freely admit that replacement is hideously expensive. As you suggest however,  there are alternative cheaper measures one can try - and personally I would  - before shelling out for a replacement.

Fine car, and a fine engine. Excellent low down torque, easy cruising, lots of useful toys. Servicing - decent local independent all the time for me. Far cheaper, far more forthcoming, and I get to poke around underneath.   

20 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Servicing - decent local independent all the time for me. Far cheaper, far more forthcoming, and I get to poke around underneath.   

Toyota's Essential Care on older (5+) vehicles is pretty keen imo (for a RAV Silver is £130 & Gold £210). I find my local dealer's service department very forthcoming but appreciate that they may not all be. I can see my car being serviced but I suspect that their H&S policy probably precludes me going under their ramps ... never asked though. :balloon:

Heid

Servicing....That does not seem at all bad from Mr. T - especially if it includes the cost of the fluids.  May be tempted myself for 130 quid!