Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Unusual Head Unit Stereo Behaviour ? W58814 Corolla T Sport / Connects2 / Wheel controls

KennyKen1988

I have some strange things going on with my head unit, sound system in general.

Firstly it's a 2002 Corolla T sport with the W58814 head unit and I have the Connects2 USB/SD/AUX box connected to the CD changer port.

Basically last night the Connects2 unit is no longer detected and none of my steering wheel controls are illuminated or functional ?

The stereo still works fine but only as a stand alone head unit in the dash all the buttons fine, CD and radio fine. I have disconnected and reconnected the connects2 unit but its no longer detected ?

Is there a fuse for the steering wheel controls or is it just wiring from the wheel to the BCM harness to the head unit ?

Any guidance would be appreciated thank you.

I have the same car and my connects2 won’t work full stop. I’ve heard they only work on the face lift models. 

• Thanks 1

I don't know about the control box issue you're having but my head unit turns itself off randomly? It turns back on with the button on the head or the wheel. Its just a bit odd.

However, hows the control box work as I'd like to add phone/aux connectivity, is it an easy job to do yourself? how much do they cost?

Anyone recommend decent Speakers as well? The stock ones work fine but i'd like to add a bit more oomph and quality...

• Thanks 1

Sorry for the slow response everyone.

After monitoring the behaviour of the problem I'm guessing it's either the head unit or the connects2 USB system that plugs into the CD Changer.

Firstly things are working again, sort of...

I turn my stereo on and I can only use the head unit for radio or cd player, connects2 and the steering wheel controls don't do anything.

After ten minutes of driving the steering wheel functions begin working and the connects2 works again as soon as I press the disc button on the head unit to switch from the radio to cd mode.

Another thing I have noticed is the connects2 system hates large mp3 files, I was playing a 30 minute track and I noticed when I skipped to the next track having been 15 minutes in the connects2 essentially froze up. The best way of dealing with this is to take the whole connects2 Shell off and disconnect it from cable then plug it back in (saves taking the head unit back out). Obviously do with with the car fully off.

I'm not sure if the connects2 works better on the facelift T Sport perhaps the newer models have a revised head unit with better/faster internals.

----------------

Anyway in the future I plan to remove the original head unit and get a half decent mech-less stereo and get the connects2 harness adaptor to make the wheel controls work with the head unit.

If anyone has any advice on what mech less head unit that has plug in capabilities for wheel controls, dashboard din/bezel/cage let me know.

http://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/ProductItem/CTSTY001.2

This is the component for aftermarket wheel control I believe, then I get the right brand of connection lead to suit hopefully...

Kenny.

On 1/9/2018 at 11:06 PM, RazzerRazor said:

I have the same car and my connects2 won’t work full stop. I’ve heard they only work on the face lift models. 

Mine has been very on and off but I think it has been better since I took the casing off the connects2 unit and disconnected it / reconnected. Have you tried the SD card slot ? My USB port does nothing at all only my SD card slot works and you have to create a specific folder structure in windows with "CD01,CD02" etc. as the the folder names up to CD06, then you can put up to 99 tracks into each folder.

On 1/14/2018 at 6:30 PM, Toobs said:

I don't know about the control box issue you're having but my head unit turns itself off randomly? It turns back on with the button on the head or the wheel. Its just a bit odd.

However, hows the control box work as I'd like to add phone/aux connectivity, is it an easy job to do yourself? how much do they cost?

Anyone recommend decent speakers as well? The stock ones work fine but i'd like to add a bit more oomph and quality...

Its only happened twice when the head unit has gone off but its as if the stereo systematically crashes and goes offline for a while, and will not come back on until I cycle the ignition again. It's possibly a communication bus problem with the connects2 fooling the cd changer input it might be too much information to process ?

There is a connects2 unit that has iphone/ipod capability, but if you want something decent you might be better putting in a double din aftermarket system, perhaps android based or something with bluetooth.

Not sure on replacement Speakers, some brands like Alpline do component upgrade kits though I'm not sure whats out there for the Corolla.

Some words from this post: https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/55772-size-of-rear-speakers-in-corolla-e12/

"As T128 mentioned, if you make your own bracket, the max you can go is 6.5" in the rears. The actual diameter of the speaker hole in the door I think is 6" in the rear and 6.25" (16cm) in the fronts.

I've just refitted all four standard Speakers with component Speakers. Kept the existing brackets, cut the speakers out of it and screwed the new ones directly on. I can now actually take my stereo to maximum volume!"

Can anyone recommend a fascia kit for going to a single din stereo head unit ?

I plan on switching to a new mechless head unit and getting the connects2 adaptor for the wheel controls.

I have been looking around online but some people complain of poor fitment especially cheap ones. Anyone with personal experience of fitting an aftermarket fascia for E12 Corollas I would appreciate your response.