Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Parking sensors driving me insane!

Alli8

Hello everybody and a happy new year.

My IQ has the urban pack that includes rear parking sensors.  Most of the time as soon as you select reverse they will 'flatline' or beep constantly and it's driving me mad :wacko:

I'm assuming it's maybe down to a faulty sensor or wiring but can anybody shed light on how to go about checking them?  Is there a way to work out which sensorit may be or is it a case of replacing the lot?

To be honest I don't really need them (famous last words...) so if working out the fault is a pain can maybe the beep be disabled?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions

Most rear parking sensor systems have an on/off switch located in the boot area - sometimes behind the boot lining, though still accessible, near to the reversing light.

• Thanks 1

Find the control box and unplug each sensor until your problem disappears.

• Like 1

This link takes you to the installation manual for the kit. 

Parking aid kit

I can't see any switches but you may be able to find out where the control boxes are from that and unplug them if you wish to disable the system. Looks like you simply remove the left hand light bulb access panel inside the boot and it will all be in there. Gets its power from the reverse light on that side as well so maybe just unplug the cable from the unit to the reverse light and plug the reverse light back in as normal. 

These sensors don't like to be dirty either. I assume you get this problem all the time, not just when the car needs a wash?

Craig.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the helpful info, I shall do some investigating at the weekend if it isn't raining! :biggrin:

Unfortunately Mike the factory fitted one doesn't have the switch installed but here is how to find it and fix the problem

Here is a fix that you can do yourself until further investigation   

First open the hatch and behind the LH side light cluster you will see a panel. Using a flat screwdriver, prise in one of the slots and remove the panel. 
Now you will see the Reversing sensor module and above it is the Beep sounder. Look amongst the cables and you will see a cable that is Black and White in colour. Its folded back on its self and has a single cable tie.It is also covered in foam sticky tape. ( awful stuff) peel it off until you can see the small block connector at the end. This is where normally an on/off switch would connect if the sensors were added after purchase as a kit. All you need to do is introduce a short circuit. To do this get a short piece of bare wire or as in the photo and push the wire into the ends. The reversing sensors are switched off!!!
You will still get a single beep when selecting reverse, thats normal but no nagging random flatlining!!! Fingers crossed

or fit a switch across the black and white wires

David

IMG_9723.JPG

IMG_9724.JPG

IMG_9729.JPG

IMG_9731.JPG

IMG_9732.JPG

• 2 years later...

My toyota had the same problem. But I fixed it without spending $ 1. The control box cannot be broken. These are the sensors. I found out which one did not work using a microphone. I found it and took out its cables and put it in again. Then it work fine again.
They are very useful.

On 1/7/2018 at 7:19 PM, Alli8 said:

Hello everybody and a happy new year.

My IQ has the urban pack that includes rear parking sensors.  Most of the time as soon as you select reverse they will 'flatline' or beep constantly and it's driving me mad :wacko:

I'm assuming it's maybe down to a faulty sensor or wiring but can anybody shed light on how to go about checking them?  Is there a way to work out which sensorit may be or is it a case of replacing the lot?

To be honest I don't really need them (famous last words...) so if working out the fault is a pain can maybe the beep be disabled?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions

• 1 year later...

I had this problem on my 2010 Aygo. Did endless checking of wiring etc but found that after giving the sensors a good clean with a washing up brush, the problem disappeared!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links