Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12V Battery Charger

YarisHybrid2016

Hi,

Looking at this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Potek-Intelligent-Maintainer-Lead-acid-Batteries/dp/B073WVNFNQ

I haven't used my car for the last week, and looking unlikely to do so this week aside from a short run to the shops.

Some people are suggesting it should be connected directly to the Battery and not to remote battery terminals. Is that really necessary? I'm aware of volt-drop across long lines, but is it really that bad?

Just want something to keep the Battery topped-up. Am I correct in thinking the Battery as supplied is 2A charge? I can't find the exact battery used by Toyota, but did find the specs for a Yausu replacement (AGM).

Thanks!

I have one of these:

https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/mxs-3-8

Until recently, we had a Fiat500 with a Stop/Start system and that used an expensive 12v Battery.  We bought the car secondhand at less than three years old and the Battery was shot. It wouldn't do the S/S system properly.  I bought a new Battery the battery charger.

The charger comes with a lead and plug, and the lead bolts onto the battery directly and the plug lead is a short length that tucks away neatly under the bonnet when not being used.  Each and every time we came home, I would pop the bonnet and connect the charger up, then close the bonnet.  I bought an extension connector to get the 12v out from the front porch right to the car.  Scroll through the above link to see the accessories.

https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/connect-eyelet-m6

By doing this, the battery was always topped up and maintained, and when we sold the Fiat500 three years later, the S/S was still perfect.

If I were to be leaving our 2014 Yaris Hybrid for a week or so or not using the car much, I wouldn't hesitate to use my charger system again.  I'm sure the lead would be able to be bolted directly to the battery under the rear seat, and than the cover re-fitted.  The lead could be tucked away neatly.

Hope that helps,

Mick.

Hi,
Looking at this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Potek-Intelligent-Maintainer-Lead-acid-Batteries/dp/B073WVNFNQ
I haven't used my car for the last week, and looking unlikely to do so this week aside from a short run to the shops.
Some people are suggesting it should be connected directly to the battery and not to remote battery terminals. Is that really necessary? I'm aware of volt-drop across long lines, but is it really that bad?
Just want something to keep the battery topped-up. Am I correct in thinking the battery as supplied is 2A charge? I can't find the exact battery used by Toyota, but did find the specs for a Yausu replacement (AGM).
Thanks!

If the charging cables are detachable, then you can leave permanently connected to the Battery and just take the charger away.

Alternatively you can get a solar panel that covers the parcel shelf and that should charge at about an Amp. That should not only maintain the charge level, but add charge at a safe level.

I wouldn’t leave the cables connected under the bonnet, as the cover won’t keep dust and debris from getting in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cannot recommend this particular product highly enough...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AC1LLQY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not only does it continue to charge in the kind of dull light we are getting at the moment but it does it all directly through the OBDII socket; no direct wiring required or needed. I just lay it above the driver's binnacle in the front windscreen. When not in use it fits perfectly in the pouch behind the passenger front seat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great!

The 2A version is the correct one?

@Mick F: Your charger is nearly 4A?

Great!
The 2A version is the correct one?
[mention=162427]Mick F[/mention]: Your charger is nearly 4A?

4 Amp is the max charge rate, 2 Amp will still do just slower.
I have an Lidl one, that’s 4 Amp with the voltage shown on an lcd display.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

The charger is an "intelligent" charger.  It knows what the Battery wants and needs.  You connect it up and leave connected for as long as you want.  The program runs from testing to deep charging and pulse charging, right through to trickle and maintenance whilst at the same time checking on the Battery condition.  Also does very cold batteries in winter. It's almost automatic and fit and forget.  It does AGM batteries, normal ones, and motorbike ones.  It does the lot.

Bought it from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E5VS58Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mick.

• Like 2

@Anthony Poli: Do you know the make/model of Battery used by Toyota? I can't find this anywhere (I can only find Prius information).

@Mick F: Thanks! 

[mention=59302]Anthony Poli[/mention]: Do you know the make/model of battery used by Toyota? I can't find this anywhere (I can only find Prius information).
[mention=162427]Mick F[/mention]: Thanks! 

I don’t know about the Yaris, not ventured under the back seat.
Might be the same as the Prius, since it’s just for the electronics only. Yuasf 35Ahr in the Auris, from memory. Only had to charge it once, when I left a cheap obd to WiFi in over the weekend.

8 hours ago, Anthony Poli said:

I don’t know about the Yaris, not ventured under the back seat.

I managed to get the seat off in and effort to sort out the tangled set belt clips.  I took photos, but not specifically of the 12v Battery.

However, by zooming in and cropping it out, I managed to at least show most of the part numbers.  I hope this helps.

Mick.

Battery.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

@Anthony Poli: Do you know the make/model of battery used by Toyota? I can't find this anywhere (I can only find Prius information).

@Mick F: Thanks! 

Sorry, I should have quoted you as well.

Mick.

• Like 1

That Battery charger I have, is back in Lidl, just saw the tv ad ;-)

• Like 1

the Aldi/Lidl chargers are hard to beat for ~£15. If you have an AGM Battery make sure to use the correct Mode.

The Aldi one has a digital readout which I prefer & usually Aldi & Lidl promotions run at very similar times so I imagine the Aldi is due too ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heidfirst said:

The Aldi one has a digital readout which I prefer & usually Aldi & Lidl promotions run at very similar times so I imagine the Aldi is due too ...

Just had a look online & it looks like the Lidl one now comes with a digital readout too :cool:

Just had a look online & it looks like the Lidl one now comes with a digital readout too cool.png

Yes, it’s the same one that I bought the other year.
Supposed to be a 7 stage charger, probably to avoid legal action.

9 minutes ago, Anthony Poli said:

Supposed to be a 7 stage charger, probably to avoid legal action.

>> "Supposed to be". So what is it in reality? Why *must* it be? Was it marketed as such?

They are listed as a smart multi stage charger,, there is a picture showing what each stage does.

From the customer point of view, we have no idea what is happening.

• Like 1

If you put an ammeter in-line, you should see what it is doing.

If you put an ammeter in-line, you should see what it is doing.

An oscilloscope would be better, to monitor both voltage and current

• Like 1

With your previous comment, I thought that might be too much. :biggrin:  Not everyone has an oscilloscope lying around. :laugh:

• 5 years later...

Just been to steven eagell toyota regarding the 12 volt Battery in my 22 yaris cross.

1. The yaris cross was not supplied with an agm stop start 12 volt Battery because it isn't used to start the engine. The main traction Battery is what starts the engine.

2. The jump start terminal can be used to connect the +ve lead on your charger. -ve lead should be connected to a decent earth point.

3. The 12 volt battery will happily take 5 amps slow, 15 Amps max fast charge. My charger is rated at 5 amps so perfect for a slow charge.

Regards Chas

• Like 2

I have come to the conclusion that the problem is the 12 volt charging system.

Fitting a bigger Battery helps but may only give a few more days grace.

Toyotas advice to charge the Battery in ready mode is ridiculous and not convenient for most people.

In the last 20+ years I have had petrol engined Toyota cars and despite doing less than 3000 miles a year I have never once had a problem.

Friend has a new Chr and he drives his car every day but has already had to call out the AA to get his car started.

How ridiculous to have a hybrid car that won't start when the hv Battery is full but the 12 volt battery is flat.

When push comes to shove its the 12 volt battery charging system which needs sorting out. 

The whole thing is a complete nonsense. It makes me wonder whether Toyota every read the 100's of posts on various forums and why they haven't sorted it out.

I haven't had a problem yet and I do realise that the problem may not be as widespread as it appears in the forums.

I think i have done as much as i can to lessen the risk ie i have bought a jump pack which is in the glove box, jump leads in the boot with my cans of tyre weld and i will charge the battery if i am not going to use the car for a few days and  tomorrow i will turn off the keyless entry system.

Still a worry though and something Toyota need to sort out.

Edited by Chas G
Spelling errors
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Chas G said:

Friend has a new Chr and he drives his car every day but has already had to call out the AA to get his car started.

That seems more like a Battery fault, not the charging system (unless he drives daily 2x 1 mile) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hind said:

That seems more like a battery fault, not the charging system (unless he drives daily 2x 1 mile) 

He drives at least 20 miles most days and averages 15000 miles a year.

Out of interest do you think it's normal to have a car sitting there with a flat 12 volt Battery but a perfectly serviceable traction Battery as reported by so many people. Doesn't it suggest that there is something fundamentally wrong with the 12 volt charging system. 

Problems with the main traction Battery appear quite  rare. So that obviously charges OK..............so why doesn't the 12 volt one keep itself topped up? Maybe it's the colour of the car that is the problem.

I can't recall ever having had a problem battery on any of my non hybrid  cars despite them being used very little at times when I wasn't well.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links