Do Not Sell My Personal Information

7 speed CVT tansmission

Simon1978

i just bought a new Yaris 6 months ago. it runs on 7 speed CVT transmission. Toyota dealer says i don't have to change the transmission fluid at all. I have never heard about any car that doesn't require any maintenance on its transmission. you guys have any suggestion?

I think CVT also has transmission fluid? Probably you don't need to change it as often? It is certainly not 'dry'.

I have noticed this as well for the Hybrid version. I have also noted that the hybrid CVT seems not to have a gearbox oil pump, unlike the Prius. Given this I am a bit worried as to CVT longevity. Looking further into the Yaris maintenance schedule, it shows that for normal use, there is no replacement of CVT oil, but there is a 'severe' use that says change CVT oil at 54000 miles or every 6 years - this is for the hybrid and other CVT. Here is the document and I think I have analysed it correctly. 

So, just say to the dealer that you drive the car in a 'severe' manner :wacko:.

Any ballpark figures as to the cost of the change - less than an engine oil change is my guess as it is only 3.3 litres of ATF???

yaris service info.pdf

Bear in mind the service info linked to is the European maintenance schedule which at 15,000km/9,000 miles is different to the UK service requirements of 12 months/10,000 miles.

Presumably in severe use and in the UK, the ATF should be changed at 6 years/60,000 miles.

• Like 1

My CVT has done 35.000 miles so far. I'm also worried about the non-changing policy, and I will have the oil changed, no matter what the dealer says. Apart from that, my CVT is trouble free, and I like it a lot better than the hybrid version. Only downside is the milage. 

My car is booked in for a CVT oil change - a reasonable cost as well. Will try and get an idea of what state the old ATF (oil) has become after 60000 miles - I doubt it will be the original red colour.

1 hour ago, Mike J. said:

My car is booked in for a CVT oil change - a reasonable cost as well. Will try and get an idea of what state the old ATF (oil) has become after 60000 miles - I doubt it will be the original red colour.

Who is doing the change? if not Toyota ensure they use ATF WS as plain ATF is not suitable.

For this work I am using my Toyota dealer so it should all be logged and help out if the CVT fails during the 2 year warranty extension that starts in Feb!

On ‎09‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 7:00 PM, Mike J. said:

I have noticed this as well for the Hybrid version. I have also noted that the hybrid CVT seems not to have a gearbox oil pump, unlike the Prius. 

I got a bit mixed up. It has an oil pump, but doesn't seem to have a cooler, so may have a more detrimental affect on the ATF. Here is where I got this info: WeberAuto info on the US version of the Yaris hybrid CVT.

• Like 1

That's an interesting video! Worth a watch if people haven't seen it.

I noticed the part where he said that Toyota had removed the cooling. Maybe they deem the oil is sufficiently cool once it has been around the loop? It is the Yaris hybrid that lacks it, not the Prius. It probably doesn't get as hot as it is smaller.

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 8:41 PM, Mike J. said:

My car is booked in for a CVT oil change - a reasonable cost as well.

Ha ha, ha. Just got a phone call saying that even though I went in to get a quote, giving full details, they got the price wrong! Think of old price x 4, which is too expensive. Work consists of drain, fill, run motor 'til warm, topup, run motor, topup. Grrrr.