Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rust on rear boot lid 2011 - to present?

rustyyaris

Hello,

I'm aware of a few cars with rust forming around the rear grommet inside the boot lid, top edge of boot inside and around boot handle.

Is this a common problem  ? seems to be on cars from 2011 onwards.

Has anyone had this problem? what was the fix?

Mine's got rust forming on the hinge bolt heads, but I assume that's a result of an adjustment before I got the car.

any chance of a picture?  what colour is the car?

Can you check under the rubber grommet on the left hand side as you open the boot??

Why not consult your dealer re whether it is covered under the corrosion warranty

2 hours ago, rustyyaris said:

any chance of a picture?  what colour is the car?

Can you check under the rubber grommet on the left hand side as you open the boot??

Here's a few pics. I'm not sure what you mean by 'boot handle'. I've a plastic recess on the bottom RH side of the tailgate, to pull the tailgate down.

Mine's a '14 reg, pre uplift.

My car's silver. I've peeled back part of the grommet for the tailgate wiring, but can see no corrosion on the tailgate side on mine. The grommet on the body side's too tight to peel back. There's no corrosion under either grommet for the rear screen washer tube.

As I said, I suspect the tailgate hinge bolts have had a socket on them some time after manufacture, presumably to adjust the tailgate alignment. I can find no evidence of any crash damage. Unless the whole tailgate has been replaced, in which case it's the best colour matching I've ever seen.

DSCN0784[1].JPG

DSCN0785[1].JPG

DSCN0786[1].JPG

DSCN0787[1].JPG

I'll get a photo of mine - you'll have a fit! :laugh:

Mine has to sit outside unfortunately.

You might want to obliterate your VIN from the photo (the black sticker with the long number - there are several on the car in various locations).

Mine, of the same vintage, pre facelift (thank goodness:smile:), never garaged, doesn't display any discolouration like in the pictures. You might be correct that those bolts have had a spanner/socket on them at some time.

However, I do use aerosol spray grease on all hinges, including those, so possibly that is why there's nothing on my car's bolts?

• Like 1

IMG_20180111_113308.thumb.jpg.12688e6563bb25f17fb478e783468bd8.jpg

IMG_20180111_113319.jpg

These are my hatch hinges and bolts. just a bit dirty because the muck has adhered to the grease.

9 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

You might want to obliterate your VIN from the photo (the black sticker with the long number - there are several on the car in various locations).

Why? You're able to see the VIN number on any car on the road.....they are displayed for all to see!

2 hours ago, Berisford said:

Why? You're able to see the VIN number on any car on the road.....they are displayed for all to see!

Yes... don't drink and post. :laugh:

14 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

I'll get a photo of mine - you'll have a fit! :laugh:

Mine has to sit outside unfortunately.

why ?  is your really bad and rusty?

i scraped off some rust and repainted mine and also check both top and bottom of the washer tube grommets too as it was there too

Mine isn't rusty (or at least I hope not!!) but it is absolutely covered in moss (just the really small moss that just makes everything green).

It covers the whole of the top of the back of the body where the tailgate attaches. I haven't had the chance to get in and clean it yet (I clean it when I see it - I try not to leave it).

I also get moss along the top of the rubber seals along the bottom of the windows.

If the weather is half-reasonable tomorrow I'll have a look and see, but the last time I checked (a few months ago) it looked OK and no signs of rust.

"I also get moss along the top of the rubber seals along the bottom of the windows. "

Mine too. A small soft scrubbing/nail brush, or even a soft toothbrush and a mild general purpose cleaner will ge rid of it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Berisford said:

Where? The registration plates are, not the VIN (not my car anyway) and it baffles me why people block them out in pictures of their car when they are visible to everyone else on the road.:laugh:

1 hour ago, mrpj said:

Where? The registration plates are, not the VIN (not my car anyway) and it baffles me why people block them out in pictures of their car when they are visible to everyone else on the road.:laugh:

Well I've just been out to check and I stand corrected, it seems it is not on all cars.

I had wrongly assumed / accepted that all cars had a little window in bottom right of the windscreen where the VIN was visible.

My VW does and 3 of my neighbours have. a Ford, a Smart & a BMW,  but my wifes Yaris doesn't....how strange.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mrpj said:

The reason for that is to help prevent locations being visible to just anyone. If you live nearby that is different vs. a broadcast to the world.

1 hour ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

The reason for that is to help prevent locations being visible to just anyone. If you live nearby that is different vs. a broadcast to the world.

The first two letters of the current registration system identifies the DVLA region where the car was first registered.

For example I live in Birmingham, our one vehicle was registered locally and the identifier shows it was first registered in Birmingham, but doesn't pin the location down any further. Quite a large city.

My last four Toyotas were first registered in Burton, and the vehicle identifier for all four is the DVLA region of Nottingham - nowhere near where I live.

• Like 1

On 10/01/2018 at 8:41 PM, bathtub tom said:

Here's a few pics. I'm not sure what you mean by 'boot handle'. I've a plastic recess on the bottom RH side of the tailgate, to pull the tailgate down.

Mine's a '14 reg, pre uplift.

My car's silver. I've peeled back part of the grommet for the tailgate wiring, but can see no corrosion on the tailgate side on mine. The grommet on the body side's too tight to peel back. There's no corrosion under either grommet for the rear screen washer tube.

As I said, I suspect the tailgate hinge bolts have had a socket on them some time after manufacture, presumably to adjust the tailgate alignment. I can find no evidence of any crash damage. Unless the whole tailgate has been replaced, in which case it's the best colour matching I've ever seen.

DSCN0784[1].JPG

DSCN0785[1].JPG

DSCN0786[1].JPG

DSCN0787[1].JPG

Our is like yours.

Ours definitely has NOT had a spanner to the bolts.  Ours is a white Sept 2014 Yaris and only done 28,000miles.  Never been to the dealers (or anywhere else) except for servicing and an MOT.

Mick.

6 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The first two letters of the current registration system identifies the DVLA region where the car was first registered.

For example I live in Birmingham, our one vehicle was registered locally and the identifier shows it was first registered in Birmingham, but doesn't pin the location down any further. Quite a large city.

My last four Toyotas were first registered in Burton, and the vehicle identifier for all four is the DVLA region of Nottingham - nowhere near where I live.

We're getting way off topic, but it is possible to use illegal methods to find people from their car registration, or even from information you wouldn't expect.

Privacy is something people should take more seriously.

For example, when I take photos of my car, I'm sure to do so in a location far from where I live. The background can contain sufficient information to locate where a photo was taken.

I don't intend to scare anyone, but it is a fact. If you're aware, you can do something about it. :smile:  This is the internet, after all.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I was getting a tyre fitted to my daughter's car and idly flicking through an old Auto Express (I think) when I came across an article referring to rusty tailgates on 2014 Yaris, which Toyota seemed to admit was a problem with a certain batch. I was called away before I could read the article. Does anyone here recall that article and if so perhaps they can expand the details please?