Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla- Drivers side handbrake not working

magicdaps10

2005 Corolla 1.6vvti failed its MOT on the Drivers side handbrake not working.

I had long play on my handbrake so i adjusted the back drums but still play in the handbrake so adjusted it from the handbrake, all fine so i thought. Took it for MOT yesterday and failed on drivers side handbrake not working.

When i adjusted the drums, it was holding when i adjusted by the drum.......by this i mean it didnt spin when i tightened it all the way up and then slackened off by 2/3 notches but i did not attempt it by pulling the handbrake.

Any suggestions how i could fix it or what to look at so i could get it through the MOT. 

Hi,

First thing to ask is have you removed the disc/drum to inspect the condition of the brake shoes, the drums internal diameter and shoe contact surface condition for grooves and wear depth  etc and that the springs and clips are all sound and given them a brush and  spray with brake cleaner ?

I find that adjusting the shoes so they are just clear of the drums, though they may just catch slightly at a particular point on each revolution, but still free enough to move around using just a finger.

Usually find that adjusting the shoes till they are on, then backing off by two notches, giving the drum/wheel a forwards spin and then giving the adjuster one notch on again, seems to settle in position better this way for me.

Start   ...Then pull on the handbrake one click at a time.

You should be getting the first 'bite' of the shoes on the second click,  with a reasonable evenness between each wheel.

By the third - fifth click they should  be locked, too hard to move by hand.

You should not be able to pull the handbrake on by more than say, 5-6 clicks for the mot.

If you cannot do that  go back to Start, but first adjust the handbrake cable  adjuster under the center  console accordingly so you get that first bite on the second click.

hth

Not removed disc/drum so cant comment of the brake internally so that will be my next job.

Handbrake clicks up to about 7 but only feel it biting at around 4/5. I did adjust handbrake cable there the other week as i was getting about 9/10 clicks.

I am guessing that the drums are ok because it holds when i manually adjust at hub.......looks like that the brake wires could be an issue.

As well as inspecting the drums internally you will find a lot of brake dust which can fool you into thinking things feel ok, but what you feel by hand is nothing like the pressure when doing a rolling road test.

It means you have to take off the pad caliper and the caliper carrier to get the disc/drum off, but when you have problems you have to start with the basics.

Take the drum off carefully, back the shoe  adjusters right off ; this forum has shown pictures of the drum breaking if too much force/hammering is used

A  good brush and / or a can of spray brake cleaner should get rind of most of the dust.

Stamped on the drums should be the maximum diameter of the contact surface and you should also be checking the thickness of the discs as well as they are likely to wear out first; also checking and cleaning/regreasing the caliper slider bolts which seize up if not serviced.

Drum diameter internal  max 174mm,  rear Disc minimum  8mm.  Shoe material thickness minimum 1mm  - all according to the Haynes manual  - a good guide to such work.

Would think the cable will only be a problem if you can no longer take up any slack by the handbrake lever adjuster or there is some physical damage to it .

Hi, is it possible for you to post photos of the brake drum removed, one photo with the handbrake in the off position and another with the handbrake on? Mike.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links