Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Choice

Steve Whits

My wife currently has a Fiesta Ecoboost Titanium which we are looking to change later this year due to issues with the Ecoboost engines.  As I have an Auris Hybrid we've been looking at the Yaris Hybrid but as she doesn't do a lot of mileage and will mainly be short journeys don't think the extra cost for the Hybrid is viable. We don't want a diesel so that leaves us with the 1.3 Yaris (manual or CVT) so would like to get peoples thoughts on what they are like ownership wise and power wise. We would be looking at a higher spec one probably 2 year old so any thoughts and advice would be gratefully accepted. (the other alternative currently would possibly be a 1.2tsi Skoda Fabia - not the new 3 cylinder engine).

To keep costs down, go for a 3 year old high mileage Yaris Hybrid (as you won't be adding many miles). You then have 2 years warranty and can top it up to 4 years at lowish cost. An alternative would be a full EV like the Renault Zoe - very good for low usage in the winter as you can get it to pre-heat the interior (it takes around 5 minutes to begin to heat up the Yaris interior in winter and you have probably arrived at that point).

• Like 1

We investigated the Renault Zoe before deciding on the Yaris, the reason we were put off is that in France you rent the Battery. Depending on annual mileage is how the cost is calculated, for 10,000km p/a the monthly cost was 85€, that worked out twice the monthly cost of Diesel in the car we wanted to change. Not sure if Renault have the same pricing policy in the UK. 

I had a quick look at the Zoe costs a while back. In the UK, the Battery rental is around 8p a mile and the electricity costs 2p. My petrol costs for the Yaris Hybrid is around 10p a mile, so costs are basically the same - I guess diesel is very cheap in France.

In my opinion, the Zoe is only better than the Yaris Hybrid (other than roadside emissions) in one way - pre-heating.