Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre swap

AYGOSTU

Hello, 

Tomorrow my car is going to my local Toyota garage as its due a service.

My front tyres are now quite a bit lower / more worn than the back (still all legal).. Is it ok for me to ask them to swap the front wheels onto the back, and backs onto the front?  Will this be ok? 

I want to run them all down evenly if i can so they all need replacing at the same time. As I want to change to a set of winter Tyres when they are completely worn out.

Any thoughts?  

Thanks,

Views on tyre rotation are a bit mixed nowadays.

Current industry recomnendations are that, where two tyres are beng replaced, the new tyres should go on the rear, with the used tyres rotated to the front. Which means that tyres with the most tread should be on the rear. 

Kwik fit don't recommend tyre rotation - https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/tyre-rotation

• Like 1

Nothing stopping you having front wheels swapped to back (unless you have tyre pressure sensors in each wheel, which would need programmed).  Generally the rears wear much slower than fronts, so they sometimes 'persish' long before the tread wears out, which is why it's often recommended to fit new tyres to the rear and 'wear out' the old rears on the front.  Would your old rears be worn down enough in time to catch this winter?

Thanks guys,

I do ~ 20k Min to 30k Max miles Max per year so will definitely get through them by the winter :) My car has so far done 23k on the original tyres, Fronts probably over half worn now, backs have loads left.. (I do LOTS of motorway / dual carriageway miles) On my last aygo I roughly managed 40k out of the rears.  

That seems really odd what Kwikfit say about having the best tyres on the back.. surely on a FWD car, and considering breaking etc.. the fronts should be the best. (im no expert.. clearly :) 

The Aygo has an indirect tyre pressure monitoring system - so no wheel sensors.

For a number of years now the recommendation from the tyre industry is that, when replacing two new tyres, the new tyres go on the rear - regardless of whether the car is front or rear wheel drive. Kwik Fit are applying the same reasoning to tyre rotation.

7 hours ago, AYGOSTU said:

As I want to change to a set of winter Tyres when they are completely worn out.

You might consider changing to a set of all-weather e.g. Michelin Crossclimate/Crossclimate+ rather than full winters.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/92863/all-season-tyre-test-20172018-top-all-weather-tyres-tested

I'm running my Aygo on a set of all weather tyres, they're pirellis and cost me £300 to purchase and fit. She'll have them on hopefully for the next 3 years and so far with the winter we've had they've coped fine.

Cheers guys, good shout on the all weathers.. I didn’t realise the crossclimates cam in Aygo size, I will have to look into them, and will also check out the Pirelli’s

• Like 1

Wiz201 can you please tell me exactly what perellis you have, I have looked and cross climates are not made in Aygo 15 inch size, unless I’m looking in the wrong place. 

Today I had my service, they swapped the tyres for me, so now I have 4mm in the backs, and 5mm on the front.

Probably Pirelli Cinturato All Season tyres.

There are also Falken Euro All Season, Vredstein Quadrac 5's, and Maxxis AP2 All Season in 165/60/R15 size.

• Like 1

I was just reading about those cinturato all season ‘plus’ tyres, they sound awesome, that’s what I will be going for, and they have a self sealing adhesive in them for small punctures.. sounds great. 

50 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Probably Pirelli Cinturato All Season tyres.

There are also Falken Euro All Season, Vredstein Quadrac 5's, and Maxxis AP2 All Season in 165/60/R15 size.

yeah those are the ones.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links