Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Handbrake warning light

thom_jones

Hi all, the handbrake on warning light comes on intermittently on my t25, the handbrake does need adjusting, could that be it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Thom .Not being sure of your mechanical knowledge please excuse if you know  this. Under the cowling over the handbrake lies the switch,I think, which puts the brake warning light on I would check here first. With regard to the handbrake adjustment I would first see if the brakes can be adjusted at the wheels first as this  as this is where the wear takes place. The cable is unlikely to stretch if the handbrake is not pulled up too tightly

Del

• Like 1

Hi Thom .Not being sure of your mechanical knowledge please excuse if you know  this. Under the cowling over the handbrake lies the switch,I think, which puts the brake warning light on I would check here first. With regard to the handbrake adjustment I would first see if the brakes can be adjusted at the wheels first as this  as this is where the wear takes place. The cable is unlikely to stretch if the handbrake is not pulled up too tightly
Del

Thanks Del, much appreciated [emoji16]

Unlikely that the amount of travel on the handbrake lever would trigger a false warning light, but it could be a faulty or misaligned switch as per Crofter's advice above.  The switch should bring the light on when the handbrake lever is lifted sufficiently, and should go off again when the lever is placed back 'home'.

The handbrake warning light (on most cars) also comes on if the brake fluid level is low.  The level could be low if either/both the front/rear pads are worn, thus the pistons are at their outer end of travel, thus 'using' more fluid.  The T25 Avensis (2003-2008 model) has handbrake drums/shoes built into the inside of the rear discs, and they are adjusted like 'normal' brake shoes, ie by turning the adjuster.  The shoes don't really wear down much since they're only used to hold the car once stopped, not like a normal brake shoe which would wear down by use when actually braking.

You can access the adjuster wheel through the hole of a removed wheel nut, I can't remember wherabouts the adjusters are (it's been a while), but if you shine a small torch into the hole you should see it as you spin the wheel.  Bear in mind they're in mirror positions each side of the car, ie if one side is at 4 o'clock the opposite side will be at 8 o'clock etc.

Unlikely that the amount of travel on the handbrake lever would trigger a false warning light, but it could be a faulty or misaligned switch as per Crofter's advice above.  The switch should bring the light on when the handbrake lever is lifted sufficiently, and should go off again when the lever is placed back 'home'.
The handbrake warning light (on most cars) also comes on if the brake fluid level is low.  The level could be low if either/both the front/rear pads are worn, thus the pistons are at their outer end of travel, thus 'using' more fluid.  The T25 Avensis (2003-2008 model) has handbrake drums/shoes built into the inside of the rear discs, and they are adjusted like 'normal' brake shoes, ie by turning the adjuster.  The shoes don't really wear down much since they're only used to hold the car once stopped, not like a normal brake shoe which would wear down by use when actually braking.
You can access the adjuster wheel through the hole of a removed wheel nut, I can't remember wherabouts the adjusters are (it's been a while), but if you shine a small torch into the hole you should see it as you spin the wheel.  Bear in mind they're in mirror positions each side of the car, ie if one side is at 4 o'clock the opposite side will be at 8 o'clock etc.

Thanks for the advice guys, bit of detective work to or I think!

• 2 years later...

I'm so fed up...I'd like to buy this 2009 Avensis tourer. 1.8 petrol.

BUT

the effin handbrake warning light is on.

They have checked the rear pads and the switch. 

The whole system seems to be working but the warning still appears

The car drives as normal and the ehb seems to be functioning correctly.

I'm told there is a secondary code that only Toyota can reset?

The car itself is in very good condition, but I simply cant risk buying it if this is going to end up costing an extra 1500 quid.

Any ideas??

4 hours ago, khunwilko said:

I'm so fed up...I'd like to buy this 2009 Avensis tourer. 1.8 petrol.

BUT

the effin handbrake warning light is on.

They have checked the rear pads and the switch. 

The whole system seems to be working but the warning still appears

The car drives as normal and the ehb seems to be functioning correctly.

I'm told there is a secondary code that only Toyota can reset?

The car itself is in very good condition, but I simply cant risk buying it if this is going to end up costing an extra 1500 quid.

Any ideas??

You posted on the wrong thread! This thread is related to the T25 car (2003 - 2008). Your car must be the later T27. Do a search for EPB, T27, then read the causes and fixes. Just to let you know, very few EPB actuators fail. Most fault are caused by other components, especially after any work carried out. For example, seized or sticking caliper sliders, seized pistons, gear position sensor not securely connected after a clutch change, to name a few. Other systems can cause the EPB light warning to come on. I have have some minor issues with my EPB, all caused by some of the things mentioned. I have diagnostic scanner and software which has helped me fix my issues. Techstream work the best. You need to get the actually fault diagnosed. Also 
Post a new subject - not reply to this - and detail what has been done. 
Here are a couple of related subjects -   

There are more, so either respond to those instead of replying to this thread.