Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Installing DRL’s

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi ALL,

I’ve managed to mount some drl lights into my front bumper...pics to follow shortly...these drl’s simply have two wires coming out the rear of them with some what looks like bulet connectors...i assume that i’d need to extend these wires in length to the point where i intend to tap into something...

Now my plan is...i’d like them to switch on...or COME ON...with my side lights...therefore NO SWITCH inside the cabin required...so do i simply tap the above mentioned two wires straight onto my side light bulb wires behind the headlamp units? And do i need to install an in-line fuse or additional fuse of some sort???

I was never good at anything electrical...so any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Sammy

is there some form of control box/relay with these? iirc DRLs are required to dim or go off when sidelights/headlights come on.

42 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

is there some form of control box/relay with these? iirc DRLs are required to dim or go off when sidelights/headlights come on.

Hi

Not that it came with, just a pair of led drl’s, purchased at Halfords, ill put up a link.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-blades-batteries/styling-exterior-lights/ring-cruise-lite-ice-led-daylight-styling-lights

And ive had one of these in storage for years...

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-blades-batteries/styling-exterior-lights/ring-fast-fit-kit

What do you think? I’m sure i read somewhere that the day times can remain on whilst the side lights are in use.

I'm with Scott on this, ie I'm pretty sure DRLs should dim/go off when the main lights are turned on (but I could be wrong).

However, to answer your question - it depends what bulbs and wiring you have.  If you have dedicated sidelight bulbs which come on/off independently of the headlights then tapping into their wires will make your DRLs come on/off with them.  But if you have main headlight bulbs which shine dimly for sidelights then it probably won't work so easily.  Also bear in mind you'd be adding extra load to whichever circuit you add the LEDs to, therefore it could blow fuses (although it might be ok since your LEDs will draw a fairly low amount of power).  The proper way to wire new lights is to take a feed from the Battery, an earth from somewhere, add a fuse to the poz feed, and connect both the new wires to an appropriate relay.  Now tap into the poz feed for the appropriate 'trigger' light and also take that wire to the relay. This means that the trigger light is only powering the relay, and the main wires from the battery/earth are feeding the actual lights through the relay.

13 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

What do you think? I’m sure i read somewhere that the day times can remain on whilst the side lights are in use.

I would definitely check whether this is the case, legally. Wouldn't be good if you spent loads of time fitting them, only to get the fuzz pull you over, or fail an MOT.

I know that my Aygo DRL's switch off totally on side or main lights. There's an abundance of DRL control relays on eBay too, which suggests that they require to be switched off or dimmed with the headlights on.

DRL daytime running lights controller

Daytime running lights are not intended to improve lighting for the driver - but to make the vehicle more visible during the day to other road users.

A section of the PDF in the following link deals with the legal requirements of retro fitting drl's. Ideally they should come on automatically when the engine is started, and go off when the headlights come on. If this is not the case, you must ensure you manually turn them off when the headlights are on.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/daytime-running-lights

Hi Sam,

These links seems clear enough   -

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/daytime-running-lights/daytime-running-lights

https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/common-mistakes-made-by-mot-testers/

As for fuses, those particular leds are rated at 16W, so for the two sets a 3amp fuse, should be fine.

Do you have the Wiring diagram for your model, even my old Rolla has mention of the wiring for DRLs so it might be all there on yours,  just a case of finding where they terminated the unused part of the loom, usually not too far from wherever they factory fitted such lamps ?

I think the relay to switch your seperate DRL feed will probably draw more current than the DRLs!!! Making the whole "avoiding over load" redundant!

"IF" you get pulled, disconnect them, worst case scenario, they'll instruct you to sort it and turn up at your local police station to prove they're disconnected within a week! (Likelihood of getting pulled is very, very low, way too much paperwork!)

re your MOT, if it fails, disconnect them and free retest!

If you want to errr on the side of caution you can get a DRL controller off eBay for about a fiver.

Mine are just wired into the front wiper feed, so they come on with the ignition!

3 hours ago, Plob said:

I think the relay to switch your seperate DRL feed will probably draw more current than the DRLs!!! Making the whole "avoiding over load" redundant!

"IF" you get pulled, disconnect them, worst case scenario, they'll instruct you to sort it and turn up at your local police station to prove they're disconnected within a week! (Likelihood of getting pulled is very, very low, way too much paperwork!)

re your MOT, if it fails, disconnect them and free retest!

If you want to errr on the side of caution you can get a DRL controller off eBay for about a fiver.

Mine are just wired into the front wiper feed, so they come on with the ignition!

Thanks guys

but tell me Plob....having them wired into the wiper feed...do they remain on constant? If not how do i go about this?

On with the ignition ie constantly! Not been for an MOT since done but it's only a couple of months off so I'll let you know how it goes!!!

Not been pulled or even looked at twice by the police!!! (Have very occasionally been flashed at by people with after market DRLs)

Thank you Plob, 

Im still dwelling on my best options, i really want to avoid installing a switch inside the cabin, and if i have to id like one that looks or is genuine Toyota which i dont know if thats possible.

Im not as confident when it comes to anything electrical, im more hands on mechanical anytime...do you think i should pay somebody to complete the wiring install? Ive already done the hardest bit fitting the drl’s. How much should i expect to pay?

Anyone???

Hi Sam,

Are you not going to use a wiring kit like this one which automatically controls everything for you, no switch needed  ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRL-Daytime-Running-Light-Auto-Dim-Dimmer-Dimming-Relay-Control-Switch-Harness/151991821231?epid=1794635649&hash=item23636b23af:g:PlEAAOSwe7BWyvrs

Am sure you are quiet capable of physically doing the wiring, its just your lack of experience with the cables and jointing, not that hard to do with a little guidance and a few basic lo cost tools, soldering not essential, though it can make a tidier job

Just do not use the popular Scotch Lock  snap together connectors,  just too easy to damage the actual wires.

if you have a 5 pin relay with pins 87 & 87a  you can wire it up

to control your drl's so they turn off when the headlights are turned on

and vice versa.

5 pin relay.jpg

• 1 month later...

Update as promised.

My Aygo failed MOT due to a ceased N/S/R brake cylinder, (got an advisory on condition of a brake pipe), no mention of lighting whatsoever!!!

Again, not all testing stations are equal, but worst case scenario pull the fuse and pass the free retest! ;-)

and at a later date reinstate them using Eygo's relay idea, cheap, effective and easy.

Edited by Plob
Edit

As far as I'm aware the operation of DRL's are not part of the MOT test unless they are too close to the indicators - in which case they should turn off when the indicators operate.

Hi Sam. DRL's are required by law to turn off when main lights are operated. You must ensure yours comply. Also another point to remember is that they must be fitted within certain parameters (there's a minimum distance from the floor etc). I'm not sure what the specs for that are but I guess the fitting instructions should advise.