Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius 10 mpg drop after first service

birdseye

Thanks Frosty. In a way reassuring to know its standard practice over the documentation. This was the first time I had ever taken a service plan out and so I would be more savvy next time.  

11 hours ago, MEP's Yaris GS said:

Have you checked what was listed on the paperwork when you paid for the completed service?

I have a service contract so no details of lubricants given

20 hours ago, Mooly said:

When my 2010 Auris (1.33L) was new and having its first few services (on a 7yr service plan) I used to ask what oil was used and the reply was often 5W-30 semi synthetic. In the last few years they always say 0W-20.

I have no real comprehensive documentation for any service stating what is actually used, and this was in fact a major whinge of mine over the service plans. I was told the paperwork was sent to the plan administrators.

Curiously now at 8 yrs old and 52K miles I find oil consumption has become noticeable and requires around 1.5L annually to keep it in the 50 to 100% range of the dipstick. I asked last year whether a switch to 5W-30 or even 10W-40 would be of benefit and was told 'definitely not' and that 0W-20 must always be used. They however used the higher viscosity grades for quite some time until I believe Toyota instructed otherwise.

I really do wonder whether the thin oils offer the all round protection needed, particularly when longer higher speed runs are the norm. 

Interesting point around the thinner oils- it's specced to better fuel consumption figures rather than protection for the engine, albeit there is no proof as such that 0w20 oil causes any harm I believe. It does state in the handbook that regularly travelling at higher rpms etc may require a thicker oil.

I use 0w30 in my prius because of this. It doesn't affect mpg noticibly so I cant really see that the difference between 0w20, 0w30 or 5w30 would cause anywhere near 10mpg difference. I maybe noticed 0.5mpg difference when I switched. 

As for the price differential, if anything it costs me more using 0w30 oil vs 20. 5w30 is obviously different.

As for oil consumption using a slightly thicker grade will 100% reduce consumption but if it is only 1.5l over the course of a year that is pretty minor. Some 2010 prius owners in the states are reporting oil consumption well over 1l per 1000 miles.

9 hours ago, birdseye said:

I have a service contract so no details of lubricants given

So you don't have a documented paper copy of each service and whats been done for the cars service history?

14 minutes ago, MEP's Yaris GS said:

So you don't have a documented paper copy of each service and whats been done for the cars service history?

With service plans, it is quite common for the customer to just have the service tick list and the visual safety check. The invoice goes to the plan management company.

One can ask for copies of the invoice, which I"ve done for my last two service plans - had this written into the service plans.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, drives said:

Interesting point around the thinner oils- it's specced to better fuel consumption figures rather than protection for the engine, albeit there is no proof as such that 0w20 oil causes any harm I believe. It does state in the handbook that regularly travelling at higher rpms etc may require a thicker oil.

I use 0w30 in my prius because of this. It doesn't affect mpg noticibly so I cant really see that the difference between 0w20, 0w30 or 5w30 would cause anywhere near 10mpg difference. I maybe noticed 0.5mpg difference when I switched. 

As for the price differential, if anything it costs me more using 0w30 oil vs 20. 5w30 is obviously different.

As for oil consumption using a slightly thicker grade will 100% reduce consumption but if it is only 1.5l over the course of a year that is pretty minor. Some 2010 prius owners in the states are reporting oil consumption well over 1l per 1000 miles.

I tried to find info on this in the past and concluded that the economy differences between 0-20 and 5-30 were going to be in the 0.75% to 1.5% region for typical usage. As you say, 1.5L over a year isn't much, and to be fair that is to keep it from max to max on the dipstick over 12 months. Two years ago was the first time I felt I had to add oil because to not do so would have seen it be on minimum or below after 12 months. The years before that did not require any additional oil adding.

Currently weighing up options for next service. Toyota full price service, Toyota service for older cars (the full version) and a full service by an independent that offers option of using Toyota parts. I suspect around a £200 difference between the first and last options. Couple of months to think about it :) 

Changeing the oil made no difference but I'm beginning to suspect a bug in the software that calculates mpg,

Today, not using one of the trips but the one that that resets when I turn off the car, I'm seeing peculiarities such as driving in a 30mph area with the EV light on so engine is off & seeing the mpg  suddenly go down from 59 to 56 in the space of a couple of hundred yards, similarily doing 60mph I ease my foot off the pedal & the EV light comes on and the mpg count goes down 3 or 4, I reapply the pedal & it goes back up

I'm going to have to run the tank down to the red light & reset the trips & see how far a tankfull will take me & compare to others, we normally fill up when down to two squares on the guage

On 18/01/2018 at 12:15 PM, Mooly said:

Currently weighing up options for next service. Toyota full price service, Toyota service for older cars (the full version) and a full service by an independent that offers option of using Toyota parts. I suspect around a £200 difference between the first and last options. Couple of months to think about it :) 

Costs for a full service for the Auris from a Toyota dealer is:

Fixed price service - £335

Essential Care Gold service (for vehicles over five years old) - £200

https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/service-mot-maintenance/servicing.json

Thanks for that Frosty, some  useful info in that link and the associated downloads of the various options. Just looking at the Gold service for older cars. Seems pretty comprehensive. 

On 1/19/2018 at 3:50 PM, birdseye said:

Changeing the oil made no difference but I'm beginning to suspect a bug in the software that calculates mpg,

Today, not using one of the trips but the one that that resets when I turn off the car, I'm seeing peculiarities such as driving in a 30mph area with the EV light on so engine is off & seeing the mpg  suddenly go down from 59 to 56 in the space of a couple of hundred yards, similarily doing 60mph I ease my foot off the pedal & the EV light comes on and the mpg count goes down 3 or 4, I reapply the pedal & it goes back up

I'm going to have to run the tank down to the red light & reset the trips & see how far a tankfull will take me & compare to others, we normally fill up when down to two squares on the guage

Join Fuelly.com and track your MPG manually to be able to see what your real world MPG is.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links