Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 keeps cutting out

Stephanie misell

Hi there is have a 2001 rav 4 2.0 diesel and when I put my foot down the engine management light comes on and I lose power to the point whereI have to stop switch off engine restart it again any ideas 

Moved to the Rav4 club.

Hi

You said that the engine management light comes on, even if the light goes out, this will have logged a fault code which you can read with an OBD2 code reader. (you can get them cheap on eBay or Amazon etc) Getting this error code should highlight the underlying issue.

You can go to a garage to get the code but they'll charge you twice what the scanner costs to buy just to read the code for you.

• 2 weeks later...

My daughters 2006 2.0L XT4 auto has done this a couple of times over the last year or two - including today!! A bunch of dash lights come on, engine cuts out, she pulls up on the side of the road, puts it into park, ignition off, ignition on, a few clicks then it starts and all normal. She drives 3 miles home to my house and I immediately put the OBD reader on - No fault codes showing! Mystery. So I guess a dodgy connection somewhere or maybe an alarm linked issue perhaps? (had that with an after market alarm in a 202 VW camper which was only resolved when I had it removed).

• 3 months later...

I know this is an old post....., but we think the cutting out turned out to be a key fob issue as both keys had stopped working remotely. I put a new Battery in one (the other needs a new shell) and the problem seems to have gone away.

Anyone had this before? I need to be sure as we are going to sell it soon

If you have a press to start system afaik it shouldn't be - once started it should run until you stop it (iirc you should actually be able to take the key away from the car once started).

Similarly if you have a mechanical key-turn system the actual transponder that is read by the car is not powered - there is a detector loop around the ignition keyhole in this case though that iirc is, perhaps this? Or perhaps it is a faulty ignition switch?

It is a key turn system. She was operating the door locks via the drivers door and then driving with a transponder key that had no Battery in it. It has worked perfectly for 2-3 months. Before that, with the transponder Battery fitted but not able to work it as the Shell buttons were u/s, she opened the car with the key and drove the car, but once a week or so, it would suddenly cut out. It seems a strange coincidence if its the ignition switch or anything else. I wondered if the detector only picked up the key present if the Battery is fitted. So I took it out and no more cutting out. BUT. I noticed when I collected it from her the other day that the generator light flickered for the first few minuets of driving before going out as it should. That seems to be a different issue that needs looking at. She says it has been doing that since a new alternator was fitted two years ago!! 

• 2 years later...

I just started having a unique or should say weird problem. My 2003 Toyota Rav4 runs like a charm, just recently started to cut for a split second, on the secondary electrical. The reason I say secondary is because I don't loose any other power. I tested it because my O/D light goes out, as if if one shut off the ignition. This only happens on acceleration, but it sometimes could go all day and not do it. No OBD light ever comes on, never stalls. Very puzzling. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do love my Rav4.

Edited by jack101
x-tra info

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links