Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

HELP. Estima Emina with lack of power.

Zombie Business

Hello I'm after some help please. I've recently bought a Estima Emina 2.2 1993 K Reg off eBay from a chap in Newcastle. I'm based in Bristol & flew up to pick up the Estima. After driving for about 1 hour I noticed the Estima wasn't engaging with the top gear properly & it felt like the clutch was slipping. The Estima was not going above 50mph and seemed to be in only gear 3 sitting at around 3500rv. It was in Overdrive, as when I press the button the light goes on and off. I made it back to Bristol driving at 50 MPH all the way back. If I pressed down the throttle hard then it would just rev away & not exceed 50mph. 

Once I got off the motorway I slipped it in to "2" gear and it pulled like a steam train with full power. The engine seems fine & when in gear 2 I have no clutch slipping. I'm not sure at all it's the clutch. 

After reading similar issues that other people have had I thought it might be the ECU.  I also have another Estima Lucida which has the same ECU, so I swapped them over but it still has the same issue. 

To me it doesn't feel like the engine or clutch is the problem. 

Do you have any ideas what might be best to check please? I don't really want to bring it to a garage, at this stage, that doesn't know about my Estima & spend time trying to find out the problem. 

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20180115_120601.jpg

Have you checked the transmission oil? Should be cherry red and up to the dipstick mark.

As Paul says...always worth checking the ATF for level and condition.

Just make sure you do the right procedure to get a true reading.

Thank you. Is it best to check the Transmission Fluid when the engine is cold or hot?

Check it when hot (normal operating temperature) and only use ATF Dexron® II or Dexron® III fluid.

There may be a 'hot and cold' side to your dipstick.

Another helpful post is here:

http://www.teoc.ws/community/topic/46203-gearbox-problems/

Just managed to check the Transmission Fluid, as I've been away for a couple of days.

It's very dark. So not cherry red.

Do you think it's best to get a flush done? Hopefully I'll have no long term issues. 

Yes, get it emptied, filter replaced and topped up accurately. Hopefully no long term damage - these have been know to recover after a good flush.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links