Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Exhaust Problem/limping mode

Khalid Siddiqi

Hi just last week our Toyota Verso 1.6 diesel model 2016, mileage

under 11K twice showed engine management light and went into limping mode in the motorway on a 50 miles stretch, as the Toyota were not very helpful when the trouble started during the week before the motorway trip we ended up calling AA, the diagnosed it as having exhaust problem and advised us not to use the car anymore, we had to hire a car to come back home for a distance of about 200 miles and the car came back on AA trailer recovery service. upon contacting the Toyota were not very helpful and not even bothered about providing us a courtesy car to atleast resume our mobility back to normal till they can look into the problem in more detail. note short a very bad build quality and bad customer relationship. I could not have expected this from Toyota (RMB Toyota Tesside), has any one faced problems with this new Verso and a similar quality back service and bad response from customer relation,action section of Toyota, any suggestion is well come,

Khalid Siddiqi I'm

Hello Khalid - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Moved to the Verso club.

When was the car last serviced?

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar sounding problem with my 2016 Toyota Verso 1.6 diesel last year.  It turned out to be a faulty EGR valve and it was replaced under warranty.  Actually Toyota and Toyota Recovery (AA) were pretty good, as it took a few weeks to get the new part and all that time I had a hire car.

Anyway, fast forward to today and I just had a call from Toyota to say that EGR valves on certain verso models were being recalled.  Part way through the conversation the agent realised that I had already had mine replaced after the issue last year. 

Anyway, heads up that there may be EGR valve issues that result in this limping mode behavior on some Versos.

• 4 months later...

My 2010 1.8 valvematic Verso  with 50k on clock had engine warning light plus stability control light on and went into limp mode.

Had read that LOOSE FUEL CAP could and appeared to be the problem,checked and tightened cap and for a few days warning lights were off but returned again.replaced fuel cap and warning lights reappeared.Got an  error code  P1047 which pointed to sensor problem on camshaft..Car had been performing well had a service about 4 months ago all seemed ok. Research  on many different web sites pointed to a variety of possible causes some of which were high cost fixes BUT what seems to have fixed the problem is the ITALIAN TUNEUP.i.e.when car is up,to temperature drive on high revs for a while which I have been doing for three days and warning lights stay off.

Whilst I appreciate that the ECU is set to report errors to protect the engine simply giving the car a good high rev run appears to be the solution. For last six months  the car was used on short runs daily 2 to 5 miles and being automatic the high revs needed to clear our engine was not happening.hopefully this is the answer ....watch this space

Thinking of changing my online name to HIGHREVMACBACK

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links