Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

auris 1.6 diesel stop start battery replacement

Neil_ark

Hi all new member here with a question.

I did a quick search but not found any information on the following topic.

I have a 2016 1.6 d4d auris and i have currently installed a Dashcam. My current Battery is getting weaker (dash cam not to blame as I only just installed it) and i want to possibly replace it with one of a higher capacity and specs. Now after some research i noticed that the OEM Battery is an EFB type (stop start). Even though it doesn't say this on the sticker i noticed the manufacturer is in fact exide. Based on the dimensions i discovered that the size code is 110 or in some cases 115. The OEM Battery capacity is 80Ah and 760 CCA. According to Varta EFB batteries can be replaced with AGM and not the other way around. Knowing AGM batteries are technically better than EFB I want to upgrade mine with an agm type. The one I found appealing is varta F21 silver dynamic AGM with 80Ah capacity and a higher 800 CCA.

So before I go ahead and replace it I was wondering if this can be just a straight swap? I had a VW which needed coding if the battery was replaced. How does Toyota charging system work? I noticed a current sensor on the negative battery terminal.

Any help is appreciated.

Bump

No one here can shed some light on this topic? :sad:

Mod edit - please note that topic bumping is against the terms and conditions of the club, and continuing use may result in warnings or a ban being issued.

I would be asking why you think the original 2yr old Battery is getting 'weaker'. Would this not be under warranty ?

Unless your vehicle variant is an 'odd one out' then I'm not aware of any standard Toyotas that have any issues with a Battery swap or disconnection. I've certainly never encountered any such problems.

A replacement Battery should not have any impact on the current sensor or IBS (intelligent battery sensor) although it is up to you to choose a suitable battery for the vehicle.

http://www.batterypoweronline.com/articles/battery-management-with-an-intelligent-battery-sensor-is-vital-to-the-success-of-future-automotive-designs/

Hi Mooly

You have a valid point the original Battery should indeed last longer than 2 years. The reason why I think its getting weaker is because of the start stop system often stops working saying the Battery is charging. I will speak to my dealer to see if the car has parasitic drain and eliminate it or to get it replaced under warranty. I would need to take the cam off before hand so they don't simply put the blame on it.

I read somewhere BMW/MINI sell their own brand dash cams and one of the installation requirements is to have an AGM Battery fitted.

So my main aim to upgrade to an AGM battery to support the parking mode on the cam and keep the original one charged in the garage using my smart charger as a spare.

I currently have set the cam to turn off when the voltage drops to 12.3V or after 12 hours whichever occurs first. 

Every time I had to replace the battery on my old car I had to hook up a battery configuration tool "code" the new battery in for the IBS to adapt itself to a new charging regime. So I was curious whether Toyota charging systems work in the same way.

Its good to know it doesn't.

Thanks for your reply

Cheers, Neil

I don't know the current draw of a Dashcam but would imagine it to be under 100ma (so around 1.2 watts). It might be worth measuring the consumption on a DVM to get an accurate figure.

A 100ma draw isn't much on the face of it and would drain a healthy 60AH Battery in more than 600 hours or 4 weeks (more because the 60AH rating is specified at typically a 20Hr rate... drawing less current gets you more usable capacity) but, and its a big but... a constant 100ma drain over weeks and months can shorten the life of a car Battery.

12.3 volts would be about the resting voltage of a healthy but aged Battery that you might see after 24 hours or more inactivity. 100ma draw would pull it to that threshold quicker.  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links