Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris 1.6 fuel consumption

Rhymer

Hi,

I bought Auris SR 1.6 petrol 2008 a good few months ago and noticed that I am paying a lot for fuel each week. 

Each week I drive around 70 miles and each week I fill my tank with about 16 l, which goes to around 19£ per week..Now i rarely stuck in traffics and usually driving in rural areas...

I think that's quite a lot for this kind of car isn't? Need extra opinions if I should be more concerned about it or not.

thanks!

• Confused 1

16 litres over 70 miles equates to approx 19.9mpg.

When was it last serviced?

• Confused 1

Do you do plenty of very short trips, few miles, then car sits for some times? With rural areas your mpg should be 40 or more.

With mixed urban and rural i get 45mph.

With mostly city drive, i get 40mpg, 1.6 like yours.

Since you bought the car, have you had it serviced? What does the mpg in the car says, how much is it using?

@FROSTYBALLS On a service book it says serviced 2015 which seems like a long time ago, but checking with miles it was less than 10000 miles ago (Serviced at 70k now it's at 78k)

@furtula Yeah im doing quite a lot of short trips, my work is 4 miles away, so every morning driving 4 miles, then car sits for some time and going back same 4 miles...only on weekends driving longer distances. In car odometer it's shows as 32mpg average, still far from frostyballs calculated 19mpg.

This Saturday doing my MOT with interim service, now kinda thinking doing full services instead?

I drive a larger car with bigger engine and would be horrified to get that high fuel consumption. I get 36mpg local driving. I worked out you are getting roughly 22mpg! The short journeys don't help.

Servicing for me should be every year minimum if the annual mileage is not reached. When I had my old car, I did two oil/filter changes a year. The air filter was changed once a year, and the cabin filter check/changed once a year. Spark plugs probably due for a change too. I stick with Denso Iridium. The engine wear could be high and oil changes will offset this wear. The cam chain will suffer too as the oil will not be protecting that as good as fresh oil. 

It's a good job you don't own a diesel with DPF. Fuel consumption will be the least of your problems!

Edited by Konrad C
Additional info

Hmm yes make sense...That's my first car I bought and I guess I haven't paid too much attention that it was serviced a good few years ago, lesson learned. Hopefully that won't cause any expensive problems, doing Service + MOT this Saturday so hopefully that problem will go away after that..

If the car uses so much fuel, can't you smell it from the exhaust? If the lambda sensor right before the catalyst is broken, it can make a the car use more fuel. 

10 hours ago, Rhymer said:

@FROSTYBALLS On a service book it says serviced 2015 which seems like a long time ago, but checking with miles it was less than 10000 miles ago (Serviced at 70K now at 78K).

Bear in mind that Toyota servicing intervals are every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

So if it was serviced at 70K in 2015, it should have had services in 2016 and 2017.

• Like 2

38 to 44 mpg from my 2014 1.6 Touring. That isn't as high as advertised, but it'll do for me, considering that this is such a simple and well-tried and tested engine.

If you're doing a lot of ultra short hops, your engine will have been slowly crudding up with carbon deposits which are getting in the way of fuel economy. I'm a great believer in flooring a car up the motorway every now and then - 150 or 200 miles at an indicated 80 mph should be enough to blow the cobwebs out. After a hot run like that, I invariably find that my mpg has gone up by at least 5, and my engine feels more flexible and eager. It also produces better MOT emissions figures. What's not to like? :biggrin:

Warning, though: Don't try an "Italian tune-up" like that unless you've checked your oil and coolant levels, and are completely happy with the way that the car's running. In your case, having missed some annual services, I'd certainly wait until the oil's been changed.

On 1/17/2018 at 4:54 PM, Rhymer said:

Hi,

I bought Auris SR 1.6 petrol 2008 a good few months ago and noticed that I am paying a lot for fuel each week. 

Each week I drive around 70 miles and each week I fill my tank with about 16 l, which goes to around 19£ per week..Now i rarely stuck in traffics and usually driving in rural areas...

I think that's quite a lot for this kind of car isn't? Need extra opinions if I should be more concerned about it or not.

thanks!

In addition to my other reply, how much fuel is left in the tank before each top up? If always nearly empty, I am not sure if this makes a difference, but the crud in the tank cold be drawn into the fuel system.
After a good service with oil, filters and spark plugs changed. The car should drive better. I would pull the EFI fuse or disconnect the Battery for about a minute to reset the ECU. The ECU will then relearn setting and hopefully show better fuel returns closer to upper 30's to 40 mpg. 

I usually top up when there is two or one bars left on odometer screen. ECU reset is definitely a good idea had this in my plans.