Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

ABS Light always on

weeleyboy

My wife's 02 Corolla D4D ABS light is permanently on and after taking it to the main dealer for a diagnostic check it appears that the bolt securing  the wire to the o/s front hub has sheared thus breaking the connection to the ABS unit. They said they could try to drill out the sheared bolt but if that failed it would be a new hub at £479. Does anyone know what size the bolt is?  I'm tempted to have the hub removed and remove the bolt myself. I'm hoping that the ABS will function ok when the wire is reconnected. I'm also wondering what could have caused the bolt to shear in the first place. Any ideas welcome as a £500 bill is probably half the car's value. It's done 87000 miles from new and recently had a new clutch. 

Hi,

That sounds very unusual for a bolt to break during  normal running  without anything else being damaged ?

Perhaps I'm getting too cynical these days, though nothing you can prove,  but would suspect they might have identified it as that sensor, tried to remove it but the bolt  sheared ?

Never seen anything giving bolt sizes,  but looking at the pic it does seem like the bolt hole is quiet small compared to the size of the bolt head.

Might be simpler to just order the bolt from Toyota, perhaps their chargeable online manuals give thread sizes  ?

It has a torque value of just 6ft lbs.

You could drill and re-tap or use one of the stud extractor tools,  though never used one myself.

Looks like you may have space to do it in situ,  removing the hub quiet a big job.

IMG_0818.JPG

Thanks for your reply. At the dealers they replaced the sensor but without fixing it. When I drove off the ABS light was off but soon reappeared as drove away so it would appear that hopefully the sensor is ok. A local mechanic is having a look at shortly so will report back on progress

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links