Do Not Sell My Personal Information

IQ3 Winter Rims

Hey guys, wondering if anyone has experience with winter tyres on their IQ3? This past week has been snowing quite heavily, and although the IQ has coped extremely well, I thought for safety reasons, I should have a set of winter tyres to use between October and April.

Question 1: The IQ3 has the larger 16" wheels, does anyone have experience going down to the 5Jx15 ET45 175/65/15 setup that the 15" wheel users have? or should I source the Aston Martin Cygnet Winter Wheels? (5Jx16 ET40 with 185/55/16 tyres)

Question 2: What winter tyres do you all have?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and it would at least prepare me for the next winter.

Why not consider all season tyres - Michelin Cross Climates, Pirelli Cinturato all season or similar - which you could have on all year round, would give you better grip in the winter than summer tyres, you don't need to buy a second set of wheels, and no wheels/tyres to store May to September.

17 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Why not consider all season tyres - Michelin Cross Climates, Pirelli Cinturato all season or similar - which you could have on all year round, would give you better grip in the winter than summer tyres, you don't need to buy a second set of wheels, and no wheels/tyres to store May to September.

Hey Frosty, thanks for getting back so quickly.

As much as I would like to use the Michelin CrossClimates which is probably one of the only true all-season tyres, they don't come in 175/60/16 which is the tyre size that came with the IQ. And if was to buy another set of wheels, I would go for the cheapest option (Steel wheels) and just keep a set of summer and winter wheels. However, the Michelin CrossClimates Plus tyres do come in 175/65/15 for anyone else with 15" wheels.

Not long after I got my iQ I bought a set of 17" wheels. This gave me a much wider choice of tyre availability. At the time the choice for the 16" rims were Bridgestone and Dunlop I think. So the 17" are my wheels with summer tyres fitted. The std 16" rims are my winter choice, currently I have Yokohama W-Drive V903 Tyres, I have used them for the last two winters and find them very good in the wet and this week on some very icy and slushy roads, I will buy these again when the time come o replace them.

I have Continental Conti Winter Contact tyres on the front of my Corolla and they are very good, and give me more confidence when driving in snow, or on frozen snow as earlier this week.  Pundits might say I should have them at each corner.  The tyres were previously on a Citroen, but I was lucky that the width & profile gave a very similar rolling radius, so the ABS is happy.  Tyres now in their 7th winter, but showing no discernable signs of wear or degradation (I don't do a large mileage).

As FB says, all-weather tyres are one option, and Honest John in The Telegraph sometimes makes this suggestion .  Otherwise, things to consider are storage, and the fact that if you split your mileage over 2 sets of tyres, then the tyres may degrade with age before they're worn out.  My tyre man charges £10 per wheel to change a tyre, with balancing.

Also think about how often you change the car, and how soon before you buy another.  No guarantee a set of winter tyres & rims would fit your next vehicle.

Edited by Notoyboy
Paragraph added

On 1/20/2018 at 10:46 AM, Soeley said:

Not long after I got my iQ I bought a set of 17" wheels. This gave me a much wider choice of tyre availability. At the time the choice for the 16" rims were Bridgestone and Dunlop I think. So the 17" are my wheels with summer tyres fitted. The std 16" rims are my winter choice, currently I have Yokohama W-Drive V903 Tyres, I have used them for the last two winters and find them very good in the wet and this week on some very icy and slushy roads, I will buy these again when the time come o replace them.

Hey Soeley, seems like a good setup to have. Currently looking to have my summers on the standard 16" wheels, and winters either on 15" steel rims or IQ2 wheels.

On 1/20/2018 at 11:35 AM, Notoyboy said:

I have Continental Conti Winter Contact tyres on the front of my Corolla and they are very good, and give me more confidence when driving in snow, or on frozen snow as earlier this week.  Pundits might say I should have them at each corner.  The tyres were previously on a Citroen, but I was lucky that the width & profile gave a very similar rolling radius, so the ABS is happy.  Tyres now in their 7th winter, but showing no discernable signs of wear or degradation (I don't do a large mileage).

As FB says, all-weather tyres are one option, and Honest John in The Telegraph sometimes makes this suggestion .  Otherwise, things to consider are storage, and the fact that if you split your mileage over 2 sets of tyres, then the tyres may degrade with age before they're worn out.  My tyre man charges £10 per wheel to change a tyre, with balancing.

Also think about how often you change the car, and how soon before you buy another.  No guarantee a set of winter tyres & rims would fit your next vehicle.

I do around 8k+ miles annually, so split between the year of having winters from October to April, and summers from May to September, the winter tyres would actually be driven on more than the summers. I've heard good reviews of the WinterContact tyres, the TS860 in particular. However, they only do the 810 in 175/65/15 and not the more popular TS 860. :(

I run Dunlop Winter SP Sport tyres on my standard iQ3 wheels. They are reasonable in the cold but not great to be honest. I haven't had the chance to try them on any amount of decent snow and in the wet they are quite slippery to be honest. 

I use aftermarket 17" wheels for the summer tyres with 205/45 17 tyres. Lots more tyre choices in that size and the wheels are cheaper to buy than Toyota wheels.

Craig.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I purchased BMW mini wheels in 15", as much easier to get hold of, then Toyota wheels for the IQ (see below link of my original post).

We run these over the winter periods and they have served us well :)

Hey G-Norman, thanks for that, I'll take a look into it. Do you know the width of the 15" wheels that you are using?

On 6/11/2018 at 2:08 AM, G-Norman said:

I purchased BMW mini wheels in 15", as much easier to get hold of, then Toyota wheels for the IQ (see below link of my original post).

We run these over the winter periods and they have served us well 🙂

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 4:15 PM, G-Norman said:

The width of the wheels are 5.5J

Thanks G-Norman, I managed to find these out myself :p Since you showed a picture of your winter rims, I found a Mini Cooper Wheel List online with all the specs. Your response is much appreciated anyway.

Thanks

Don't forget to check the size of the centre bore on the Mini wheels, I'm pretty certain they need spigot rings to fit the iQ

Craig.

12 minutes ago, craggle said:

Don't forget to check the size of the centre bore on the Mini wheels, I'm pretty certain they need spigot rings to fit the iQ

Craig.

Yeah, I'm currently "watching" a 56.1 - 54.1 aluminium spigot ring on eBay.

Don't forget you will need some tapered (cone shaped) wheel bolts 😀

I purchased these for the mini wheels:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-of-16-x-Wheel-Nuts-Bolts-Lugs-For-MGTF-12x1-50-34mm-19-Hex-D6/181314290018?hash=item2a372c8162:g:9vQAAOSwR2RbwSDI:rk:3:pf:0