Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Avensis , which petrol engine is the best .

Martiga

Hello im interested in buying toyota avensis with petrol engine , year 03-06 , but many people are saying that there is problems with oil consuption , so wich petrol engine is the  best with less problems ? 

The 2.0vvti didn't have the oil problem.  The 1.8vvti did have until the facelift in 2006.  Plenty don't have the problem, but personally I'd get one 2006 or newer.

• Like 1

I agree with Alan. Look for facelift Avensis using 1.8 vvti. My friend had one and it never had any oil consumption problem. The younger the better anyway. Best value would be a TR (makes sure the satnav discs are with the car, because without it, the radio/cd will not work if the Battery is disconnected! ).  

4 hours ago, Konrad C said:

I agree with Alan. Look for facelift Avensis using 1.8 vvti. My friend had one and it never had any oil consumption problem. The younger the better anyway. Best value would be a TR (makes sure the satnav discs are with the car, because without it, the radio/cd will not work if the battery is disconnected! ).  

+1

I know that you said that you were looking at 03-06 but if you could get something like a 57, 08  or 58 plate TR I think that you would be very happy - really the only thing that you would be missing would be leather & electrically adjustable seats.

• Like 1

1.8 is a cracking motor and in the ones I’ve owned faultless (both post 2006 updates)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thank you for answers , in our country there are no 2.0 wagons for sale , and 2.0 is not compatible with lpg , so question after what year oil eating problem ir resolved in 1.8 ? 06-08 years facelift ?

cracking motor means that  it's breaks all the time ?

faultless means that it runs with no problems ? 

i dont really understand last post :(

The 1.8 has been build in 'millions' of units, and is extremly strong and designed to go on and on and on. 

It might not be THE most powerfull engine out there, but it will last longer than any fancy VW. 

1 hour ago, Martiga said:

so question after what year oil eating problem ir resolved in 1.8 ? 06-08 years facelift ?

you should be fine with 2006>

cracking motor means that  it's breaks all the time ?

No, it means very good.

faultless means that it runs with no problems ? 

Correct

• Like 1

I owned avensis 1998 1.8 gs petrol (the best for me). Power and economy.

2001 2.o Sr petrol.  To many sensor and oil leak issues. But was good.

And now 2010 1.8 petrol.  Ok, but lacks power.

Hands down to the 98 model engine.  Never ever had a problem with that.

8 hours ago, Diluk said:

The 1.8 valvematic petrol engine as fitted to the T27 (2009 on) has plenty power, but needs higher revs to get to it.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Diluk said:

I owned avensis 1998 1.8 gs petrol (the best for me). Power and economy.

2001 2.o Sr petrol.  To many sensor and oil leak issues. But was good.

Hands down to the 98 model engine.  Never ever had a problem with that.

I owned 1998 1.8 GLS and currently own 2009 1.8 TR Tourer. For 6 months I owned them together so could compare them directly. The lighter Mk1 helps the engine, but most times I find the Valvematic in the Mk3 fine. The Vmatic is more responsive over 2000 rpm, but can be used at lower rpm with no problems. Just be prepared to shift down the gears. On fast roads and motorway the Mk1 is really responsive, because it is in it's peak torque curve, whilst the V Matic can feel lazy. I have to change down to 5th on uphill sections of the A23. Here is the surprising thing, the Mk1 is just as smooth as the Mk3 even though the engine is spinning higher. I have been in every Avensis with a 1.8 engine, and they are all good. The years to avoid unless there is proof that the engine has been replaced, are Mk1 vvti '99-'02 and Mk2 vvti '03-'05 (pre-facelift). If within these years and the engine has been replaced with a later engine or had the official Toyota update (short engine replacement), these cars should be fine too.

Slightly even more off subject, the 2 ltr petrol engines were dropped part way through production of both Mk2 and Mk3. Probably to meet emission an fuel consumption targets.     

• Like 2

Hello  , i have some more qestions -

Today i was looking one avensis 03 , 1.8 engine , engine when working sounded like a diesel , owner said that that\s normal and all sounds like that , and seond thing under car i found a lot of rust , avensis have problems with rust ?

2 hours ago, Martiga said:

Hello  , i have some more qestions -

Today i was looking one avensis 03 , 1.8 engine , engine when working sounded like a diesel , owner said that that\s normal and all sounds like that , and seond thing under car i found a lot of rust , avensis have problems with rust ?

Avoid that particular car. That engine has problems and should not sound like a diesel. It is not normal. Listen to similar models and you know. I have read that some cars can rust. I had a '98 Mk1 and that hardly had any rust up to the time I sold it 2 years ago. It depends how the car was looked after and used. 

Hi Konrad, do not wish to hijack thread, but is it true that if I disconnect my Battery I will lose my satnav/radio? Unfortunately, there were no discs with the car, not even a handbook! Apparently the gentleman that previously had the car had recently died and his daughter sold the car to the dealers. The car is a 58 plate Avensis D4D TR with a B9010 Satnav unit

Is there not a map disc in it already? If not you can buy an old Europe West 1 on eBay cheaply these days.

Manual tns700.pdf

• 2 years later...
12 hours ago, Ed192 said:

Don’t know if this thread is still live but could anyone say wether this is the facelift model?  It is also still a car you’d recommend today with it being 14 years old?https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202002217570968

This is a facelift model. If regularly serviced these will last a very long time and be problem free.

This car will need one important repair doing ASAP.  Both front-to-rear brake pipes will need replacing because they have corroded at the back. They all do it. The pipe itself is very cheap so if you can DIY then its no problem. If you need a garage to do it then it will be a couple hous labour plus brake bleeding etc.

6 hours ago, mrfixer said:

This is a facelift model. If regularly serviced these will last a very long time and be problem free.

This car will need one important repair doing ASAP.  Both front-to-rear brake pipes will need replacing because they have corroded at the back. They all do it. The pipe itself is very cheap so if you can DIY then its no problem. If you need a garage to do it then it will be a couple hous labour plus brake bleeding etc.

Thanks for the reply. Very tempted, although a bit worried about the rubber on this car as it’s been sat doing a couple of hundred miles a year for the last 5 years...

On 1/25/2018 at 7:36 PM, Owdjockey said:

Hi Konrad, do not wish to hijack thread, but is it true that if I disconnect my battery I will lose my satnav/radio? Unfortunately, there were no discs with the car, not even a handbook! Apparently the gentleman that previously had the car had recently died and his daughter sold the car to the dealers. The car is a 58 plate Avensis D4D TR with a B9010 Satnav unit

It's true because it happened to my friend when he owned one. He had the car in a garage, and the mechanic had disconnected the Battery. The radio needed the discs to initialise the system on first boot up. The disc has to stay in the drive until everything is fully loaded. Same for SD card versions on later models. If leaving car with a garage you don't know or trust, it's best to remove the data disc or card! I had another friend of a friend be victim of that too. 

22 hours ago, mrfixer said:

Hi Ed

I have a 2008 avensis petrol auto, with 71000 miles, which I don't think has ever had a proper brake inspection. Does your advice re brake pipes replacement apply to it too?

Thank you.

5 hours ago, Levon said:

Hi Ed

I have a 2008 avensis petrol auto, with 71000 miles, which I don't think has ever had a proper brake inspection. Does your advice re brake pipes replacement apply to it too?

Thank you.

Yes definitely. Check the metal brake pipes to the rear brakes at the rear wheel arch. They suffer corrosion where they run near to the arch liner. Replace the metal front to rear pipes.  Metal brake pipe is cheap - its just the cost of labour than can make it a bit pricey if you can't DIY (its actually pretty easy DIY if you have experience bending and flaring brake pipe).

Personally I have a early 1998 2.0 3sfe petrol linea sol still going like a smooth watch , fantastic engine. Like all most she burns some oil between changes but nothing to complain about. Fantastic cars  

On 2/27/2020 at 12:23 PM, mrfixer said:

I had a 2006 1.8cc petrol Avensis and never had to top up the oil, but I do change oil every 6000 miles as I've found it really extends the lifetime of the engine. (My old Nissan Bluebird had done 260,000 miles with no oil burning or leak and was sold to a taxi driver who used it for 2 years that I know of.) The brake pipe is something that should be checked especially if the underside is rusty as mine was. The brake pipe on mine burst while being tested for the MOT and the car shot forward nearly colliding with the MOT office. The 1.8 engine really is nippy for the weight of the car, and economical, varying, for me, between 36mpg locally and 49.9mpg on motorways. Just couldn't quite get the magic 50mpg.

• 4 months later...

I've come from a well sorted 304bhp Saab 9-5 to a sub £500 2005 1.8VVTi Avensis saloon with 175,000 miles in the clock.

Obviously incomparison the acceleration from standstill is somewhat noticeable, and the punch for overtaking is absent. On the flipside and because of the much lower power, I drive it more considerately and have achieved 49mpg on a 250 mile drive. I struggled to get the Saab into the high twenties.

The Avensis seems to have been looked after, and in 500 miles has burnt no oil. The air and pollen filters I changed because both were filthy. Otherwise everything is perfect.

20200616_102133.thumb.jpg.a4c5a8f35a8a87d3593381cb7018690a.jpg

20200616_102539.thumb.jpg.2713048720a88ef5777d4250bb73cf78.jpg

Going to retrofit cruise control tomorrow, as I've a 1,600 drive down to Spain coming up. It seems to be straight forward plug and play with a second hand stalk (£15). If it doesn't work from the off, I was told it just needs an additional wire adding in. Got to be worth it, as I find holding the car at a constant speed is not as easy as in other cars I've owned.

• Like 1

I had a 2006 T25 petrol Avensis for 4 years and sold it in Decemeber 2019 with 119K on the clock. I change oil every 6000 mles and never had to top up the oil between changes. Engine was brilliant after changing the variable valve timing solenoid with acceleration at both low and high revs really great. During the last but one MOT the rear brake pipe burst during the MOT (luckily) and the car shot forward and would have collided with office if the operative hadn't used the hand brake, was advised after repair to think about getting rid of the car due to underbody rust. After the last MOT I was getting the exhaust checked and was shown a hole that had rusted through a rear sub-frame member.  So it had to go. I purchased a 2010 T27 petrol saloon with 55K on the clock in December 2019 thinking, as the bhp was 145 as opposed to 129 on the T25, that I was going to have a whizzing car. Sadly not to be. At low revs it's not very good at all, on one hill leading to my house with only me in the car, I can only achieve 30mph max in 3rd gear, whereas driving my old T25 I could easily hit 40mph and more, and in my wife's 2003 1200cc Micra with me, my wife and 2 grandkids in the car, up the same hill I can easily achieve 35mph in 3rd gear, with the engine telling me it could easily go faster. I'm not impressed at all with the car on hills or at low revs. However on the flat and at highish reves it performes better than the old T25. That's when it whizzes..... Oh yes, there's a fair bit of underbody rust which I omitted to see when buying the car as I couldn't really get my head under the side and it was dark under there......I'm afraid of the dark......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1