Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

SR180 2.2 D-Cat ADE157 White Smoke

daboosa

Hi all,

In need of some help/advice/info

Im a proud owner of an 08 plate SR180

It’s a 2.2 D-Cat engine ADE157

this winter I seem to be having a lot of smoking and active regens, colder it is worst they are.

First thing I did is clear EGR valve that’s spotless, better MPG but no different with the smoke. Then tried wynns DPF cleaner, good results with this haven’t had an active regeneration once this was used so will defo use this over the winter.

So this is where I am major smoke in cold weather, this is apparently quite normal with this model engine and Toyota have a technical service bulletin ref EG-0004T-0110-EN that seems to cover this. Which basically a ECU update.

what I’m asking has anyone....

A. Had this problem and resolved it with this update

B. Resolved issue another way

C. It’s a DPF problem and needs cleaning/replacing

I've seen a lot of talk about this on the forum, no one ever tell us if they sort it.

Im going to get the update done and will post my results but any other info would be greatly appreciated.

D

So basically your having lots of Regens 

Also in this weather you while see more smoke that's also going to be condensation on the exhaust plus damp off the roads burning off. 

Are you doing short journeys or are you continuing to drive when the regen is on.

What grade fuel are you using in the car (believe me it makes a difference) 

Have you had any faults or errors

Didn't know there was an update for the DPF cycle. 

If you are now doing Regens and wasn't before then I'd say your still better off clearing it out nearly always a dog can be saved and not replaced. 

Toyota have a technical service bulletin ref EG-0004T-0110-EN that seems to cover this:

White smoke from exhaust, DPNR only. 

Models: 
RAV4, Avensis, Auris, Corolla Verso 

Model codes: 
ALA30, ADT251, AUR10, ADE157

DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON 
Some customers may explain about white smoke from the exhaust. 

PRODUCTION CHANGE 
The ECU software has been improved.

The bulletin requires the correct operation of:

5th injector, replace if faulty
Check for air leaks, repair as required
Confirm air intake volume, replace air filter if out of spec
Check MAF operation, replace MAF is faulty
Check EGR operation, clean or replace as required
Check intake manifold for blockage, clean if clogged
Carry out forced DPNR regeneration, if regen fails replace DPNR

If any of the above are out of spec then they need attention then a reprogramming of the ECU with updated software is required, if they are all OK just the software update is required

There’s is an evident difference between the regens and the problem

your right there is certain amount of which is attributed to the cold weather but this is a lot worst but not as bad as a regen.

I only use BP fuel contemplating only using premium as I used premium last few tanks and things have got slightly better (nothing massive) also noticed performance improvements.

My driving is mixed there’s a lot of tractors round here and no dual carriage ways so I get a good run every few days otherwise it can get a little slow.

when I say it only happens when it’s cold 10c+ the smoke is gone not even a puff

Different car but same engine and smoke issue. This person ended up handing car back to place they brought it from.

So update

DPF is clogged and needs clearing out or replacing in the middle of removing it from the car to try cleaning it

• 3 years later...

Have anyone solved this issue. Any updates?

• 5 months later...
On 1/28/2018 at 8:11 AM, daboosa said:

So update

DPF is clogged and needs clearing out or replacing in the middle of removing it from the car to try cleaning it

I also have the same problem running a tin of bg244 through it to see if it helps? Car runs fine no loss of oil or water just the red arrow display behind me. 

An actual 100% working solution is having the dpf deleted through the ecu and also having someone open the dpf break everything out and then close it up.

Also it should pass MOT as the dpf box is there .

p.s. Ive had the same problems and thats how i ended up fixing it after having the dpf cleaned multiple times and 5th injector replaced with no results just money down the drain.

4 minutes ago, Mariosskoutaris said:

An actual 100% working solution is having the dpf deleted through the ecu and also having someone open the dpf break everything out and then close it up.

Also it should pass MOT as the dpf box is there .

p.s. Ive had the same problems and thats how i ended up fixing it after having the dpf cleaned multiple times and 5th injector replaced with no results just money down the drain.

Hey again Mario!

I second this, one of the other solutions may work for you. They didn't for me, but I'm probably £200 out of pocket. I haven't had my DPF gutted, just living with the smoke. But the only actual option is DPF gutting 😕 

Tried endless tank-additives, cleanings and a new injector. It honestly isn't worth pursuing. 

As long as you get it mapped by someone who knows what they're doing, NOT A MAN WITH A LAPTOP, you should be alright. It is your risk to take, and as of the current MOT it's only a smoke opacity test, no promises for the future though.

Without the remap to change fuelling levels, it MAY fail an opacity test, so get it mapped too! Although, under our bonnet we have an opacity plaque, it's on the bonnet its self, with a 0.5 written on it. This is the level for the opacity test, if yours doesn't have this it's actually tested at 2.5 or 1.5, making the test less strict.

All of this is subject to change if the MOT regulations are changed again, it's just a case of how long until they do!

I hope this helps!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links