Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

07 Avensis Petrol Tourer - whining noise at speed

gliese581

After my last post saying my great Tourer has never gone wrong, its now making a funny noise! Its got a loud persistent whine above 40 mph. When you knock it in to neutral the whine continues, which makes me think maybe a wheel bearing, or something that is moving outside of the engine. Local garage says nothing wrong with the wheel bearings that they can see. Does anybody have any thoughts? Are circa 07 Avensis prone to a problem like this, and if so, what is it. I'm thinking maybe gear box on the way out? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

After my last post saying my great Tourer has never gone wrong, its now making a funny noise! Its got a loud persistent whine above 40 mph. When you knock it in to neutral the whine continues, which makes me think maybe a wheel bearing, or something that is moving outside of the engine. Local garage says nothing wrong with the wheel bearings that they can see. Does anybody have any thoughts? Are circa 07 Avensis prone to a problem like this, and if so, what is it. I'm thinking maybe gear box on the way out? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Sounds like a wheel bearing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It could be the wheel bearing, but to be sure, increased the tyre pressures to about 36 psi. I have had tyres that sound the same as a failing wheel bearing, and when I pumped them high the sound stopped. One of the tyres had internal structural failure, due to age and wear and tear. 
If it is a wheel bearing, the tricky bit is to find out which one. I had changed wheel bearings myself and the hard bit is getting the inner race from the inner hub - I have my own press.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links