Do Not Sell My Personal Information

noob says hi - plus a couple of questions

l33tuc

Hi all!

Just bought myself a 2011 iQ³ last Friday - my first ever Toyota, so definitely new around these parts! :biggrin:

Loving the iQ so far, I came from a Smart ForTwo before, so I'm used to small - although I am struggling to find places to put things in the iQ at the mo!

Couple of questions for you...

1. Is there a way to turn off the keyless "auto unlock" thing when you walk up to the car? It's cool and all, but it freaks me out! I live in a small ground floor flat, and it's proving difficult to keep the fob out of activation range!

2a. Having had an aftermarket headunit with built in bluetooth before, I'm really missing having that functionality already, and hate cables running everywhere. From what I've read on here already (and a bit of common sense), I'm lead to believe that the only way I can fit a custom stereo is to convert my standard dash to the double din sat nav affair, it's that correct?

2b. (This one's a bit random) Assuming I source all the sat nav cowel dash parts, is it possible to fit all this whilst leaving the current amplifier/cd mechanism in situ? I understand it'd leave a big hole where the screen should be, and I'd probably lose the ability to access the cd slot - but that's not important - I've got an idea brewing! :bangin:

Thanks in advance guys!

Lee.

Hi,

1. The door won't "auto unlock" when within range, you still have to grab the handle or push the boot button. The range is very short as well, if I stand at arms length and try to open the door it won't as the fob is too far away even though it is in my pocket. Police and insurance are now recommending you keep the fob in a metal box (even fridge, microwave or biscuit tin) at home to prevent thieves using gizmos (range extenders) to unlock the car through the wall.

Having said that it may still be possible to disarm the key-less entry and just use the buttons on the fob (not sure how/if that would affect the key-less ignition though?)

2a. Search for Craggle, he has done what you want to do.

2b. No idea :blink:

Regarding the first point search for "Faraday bag for car keys" on Amazon. I got one and with the keys in it the door will not unlock however close to the door you are! I am sure a metal box will do too as Soeley has written. I like the "auto unlock" feature myself but keep the keys in the "Faraday bag" when they are in the house or office so that thieves cannot amplify the signal with special equipment and steal the car.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

It seems very to strange to me that there is no way to override/disable the door handle/proximity sensors.

Unfortunately I didn't realise until it was too late that I didn't receive a manual with the car, so I can't easily look this stuff up.

Previous cars that I've had had different systems for disabling sections of the alarm/immobiliser, e.g. Locking it with the key instead of the button would disable the interior pressure sensor, so you could lock it with a window open etc - so it seems odd that Toyota don't seem to have a similar system.

I guess what I'd like to achieve is that if I lock it with the fob button, that should be the only way I can unlock too.

I will look into the Faraday bag/metal box idea though.

Further question... If I was driving along, and threw the fob out the window, what would happen?

Nothing, the engine would keep running until you turned it off. You would be stuck then without it.

Yes that is one of the troubles with this keyless entry. You drive to the airport with your wife. You take the plane for a business trip. Your wife drives off quite happily and stops the car to go shopping on the way home. She tries to lock the car as usual. It will not lock. She then realises she has not got the key from her husband! She cannot start the car again! It has not happened to me but it has to other people!

2 minutes ago, sparrow2 said:

Yes that is one of the troubles with this keyless entry. You drive to the airport with your wife. You take the plane for a business trip. Your wife drives off quite happily and stops the car to go shopping on the way home. She tries to lock the car as usual. It will not lock. She then realises she has not got the key from her husband! She cannot start the car again! It has not happened to me but it has to other people!

Guilty !! Luckily I managed to contact my wife on her mobile and got her to come back before she'd had a chance to stop the engine

• Like 1

3 hours ago, l33tuc said:

Further question... If I was driving along, and threw the fob out the window, what would happen?

It would keep running but I'm pretty sure our 2011 Auris threw a dash light to tell you there's no key present.  Try it - have an assistant walk away with the fob while you're in the car with the engine on.  

Doesn't it start bleating when you walk off with the fob in pocket and engine running , i dont do that with iq, but you can hear the ssangyong from 5 or 6 yards away when it hasn't got the fob in the car and the engines running

5 hours ago, Soeley said:

Police and insurance are now recommending you keep the fob in a metal box (even fridge, microwave or biscuit tin) at home to prevent thieves using gizmos (range extenders) to unlock the car through the wall.

59 minutes ago, sparrow2 said:

Protecting the key isn't the only issue affecting keyless entry cars. Thieves can break a window and insert a device into the diagnostic socket which simulates the electronic key, enabling them to start the car and drive away. This happened this month to a neighbour's Fiesta ST, which was parked in the road and stolen at 11.15 on a Saturday morning.

West Midlands Police also recommend the fitting of a Thatcham approved steering wheel lock -

5a1c126337d21_Cartheft.thumb.jpg.2cdc5e06b3b6562ddf167559951770ab.jpg

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 5:36 PM, atkiman said:

Doesn't it start bleating when you walk off with the fob in pocket and engine running , i dont do that with iq, but you can hear the ssangyong from 5 or 6 yards away when it hasn't got the fob in the car and the engines running

I did a test in the office car park this morning. I got out of the car with the engine running and the key in my pocket. There was no warning until I closed the door at which it gave a few quiet beeps which soon stopped. I also noticed though the window the dashboard displayed a new symbol - a key with a line through. So it would warn you but only after your wife has got In the car and started no doubt to drive off, unless she is very alert! She may well not bother to closely inspect the dashboard and notice the key with a line though until much later.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...