Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T25 Avensis 2.2 D4D 2007 Serpentine Belt Squealing

jonnyboy95

Hi,

I have a question please, my wife's 2007 Avensis 2.2 D4D T-Spirit (which I believe is the 2AD-FTV engine) is making a squealing noise when started up from cold; this appears to last for about approximately 30 seconds before quietening down.

I believe that the culprit is the Serpentine belt; the car has covered about 85K miles. I've had a look on You-tube; the information I have found so far, appears to suggest that this belt is tensioned via an auto-tensioner. I have visually checked the condition of the belt in situ and it doesn't appear to have any visible cracks or splits, but I'm guessing that having covered nearly 85K it's getting towards the end of its useful working life.

How easy is this to replace please? Would you recommend replacing any idlers or the auto-tensioner at the same time? The tensioner doesn't visually appear to be failing, or to have reached the end of its adjustment, although I'm not certain about this aspect, I must admit.

I would appreciate the instructions and any recommendations you might have in relation to this please.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

I haven't changed one on your particular engine but the one on the 1.8vvti petrol has an auto adjuster and it took me about 5 mins to change it, all done from above.  Put a decent well fitting socket/spanner on the adjuster, turn the socket to take the tension off, slide the belt off the adjuster idler, let the tension go, take the belt off the other pulleys/idlers, replace in reverse order.  Draw a quick diagram of the belt layout before you start, and watch your fingers while you're holding the tension off at the first/last bit (hence the well fitting socket/spanner).

Thanks for the info Alan, interestingly the videos I can find that are very helpful, all appear to be for the vvti engine!

It does look as though there is more access on the LHS of the engine to the serpentine belt on the vvti engine, but that could just be my perception. But again thank you for the advise that's very helpful and a good start.

Best Regards,

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links