Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What grade oil for 2012 Toyota Yaris 1.3l

p28nay

Can anyone advise what engine oil grade should I use for my UK 2012 Toyota Yaris 1.3L Automatic?

The manual recommends 0W-20 and some of the websites say 5W-30 and some are 0W-30.  I'm really confused and not sure which grade of oil I should use.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

0W-20 and if that isn't available 5W-30 may be used but revert back to 0W-20 when possible.

Adhere to the manual. I have entered my reg. into various sites where oil is sold and they have resulted in totally incorrect figures.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrpj said:

0W-20 and if that isn't available 5W-30 may be used but revert back to 0W-20 when possible.

Adhere to the manual. I have entered my reg. into various sites where oil is sold and they have resulted in totally incorrect figures.

Thank you.  I will stick with 0W-20.

Any recommendations of what brand oil to buy?

Brand is a personal preference  - as long as the oil meets API SL, SM or SN then it will be OK.

Could have a look at Opiehttps://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/forum/118-opie-oils/ - Amazon, Eurocarparts, eBay, etc

Opie are one of the sellers I referred to. They show the non recommended viscocity oils for the Yaris. In fact they don't even list the 1.33l engine! Eurocarparts, similarly list no 0W-20 when I enter my registration mark.

ECP do, however, sell a good 0W-20 fully synthetic oil suitable for the 1.33l engine. Readily available through them on eBay as is Toyota's own oil.

Thanks guys. Didn't realise how expensive 0W-20 oil is when compared to 5w-30.

19 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

One can just search for 0W-20 oil on either Opie or Amazon rather than use an oil selector.

Eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/QUALITY-ENGINE-PETROL-ENGINES-SYNTHETIC/dp/B01N3LTR2J/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&qid=1516808063&sr=8-28&keywords=0w-20+engine+oil

Which is exactly what I do rather than use those, often inaccurate, selectors. eBay too which is where I buy my six monthly oil and genuine filter.

"

19 hours ago, p28nay said:

Didn't realise how expensive 0W-20 oil is when compared to 5w-30.

Yes, it is and that's possibly why some places use 5W-30, including Toyota dealers to increase their fixed service price profit. Fortunately the dealer I use for servicing does use 0W-20 - or so the invoice states.:laugh:

On 24/01/2018 at 9:02 AM, p28nay said:

Can anyone advise what engine oil grade should I use for my UK 2012 Toyota Yaris 1.3L Automatic?

The manual recommends 0W-20 and some of the websites say 5W-30 and some are 0W-30.  I'm really confused and not sure which grade of oil I should use.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

We recommend going with the 5w30 as you'll find with the 0w-20 or anything between will burn through it quite quickly, options are listed below.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-653-5w-30.aspx

The best ones there are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Motul 300V, Mobil ESP, Castrol Edge, Shell Helix Ultra ECT, Millers XF, Fuchs GT1 and Red Line, but the Motul Eco-Energy, Mobil Super 3000, Shell Helix HX7 AF/AG and Fuchs XTR are good cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

jack

• Like 1

On 24/01/2018 at 11:40 AM, p28nay said:

Thank you.  I will stick with 0W-20.

Any recommendations of what brand oil to buy?

You can get 5L genuine Toyota 0W-20 from Snowsgroup for £38.99.  I supplied the dealer oil,oil filter and paid labour (£50 inc) for oil service including vac, wash and stamp.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oilman said:

Hi,

We recommend going with the 5w30 as you'll find with the 0w-20 or anything between will burn through it quite quickly, options are listed below.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-653-5w-30.aspx

The best ones there are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Motul 300V, Mobil ESP, Castrol Edge, Shell Helix Ultra ECT, Millers XF, Fuchs GT1 and Red Line, but the Motul Eco-Energy, Mobil Super 3000, Shell Helix HX7 AF/AG and Fuchs XTR are good cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Jack

Hmmm i think I would rather stick with 0w-20 as that is what is recommended in the user manual for the car.

Fair enough, but it also probably lists the 5w-30 as an alternative recommendation. Either is fine to use, but so often people want the cheaper option and it costs more to make a 0w-20 as it takes good quality ingredients to make such a thin oil that still protects well.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-650-0w20-engine-oil.aspx

5w-20 isn't a bad option as it doesn't get cold enough in the UK to need a 0w oil and it will be the same as a 0w-20 when hot. Also, it's becoming more of a popular grade now, so better pricing than the 0w-20.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-651-5w20-engine-oil.aspx

Cheers

Tim

21 hours ago, p28nay said:

Hmmm i think I would rather stick with 0w-20 as that is what is recommended in the user manual for the car.

Exactly. What do Toyota know about the correct oil for their engines?

23 hours ago, oilman said:

you'll find with the 0w-20 or anything between will burn through it quite quickly,

Never burned or used a drop of 0W-20 in four years.

21 hours ago, TAuris said:

You can get 5L genuine Toyota 0W-20 from Snowsgroup for £38.99.

I think the last 5l of 0W-20 Toyota oil I bought was less than that (eBay). Buy it when the price is lowest, check the manufactured date on the container, it has a good unopened shelf life.

1 hour ago, mrpj said:

Exactly. What do Toyota know about the correct oil for their engines?

Never burned or used a drop of 0W-20 in four years.

I think the last 5l of 0W-20 Toyota oil I bought was less than that (eBay). Buy it when the price is lowest, check the manufactured date on the container, it has a good unopened shelf life.

I'm not saying that Toyota don't know what to use in their engines, I'm saying that 5w-30 is listed as an alternative (it might have been added as an alternative after your handbook was printed), that would be sensibly used if the car is burning oil or gets hard use. 

If your car doesn't burn oil, great, but some do.

Cheers

Tim

Toyota have specified 0W-20 oil in their petrol engines since the introduction of their Optimal Drive from 2008/09.

They do state in their owners manuals that 5W-30 may be used. However it should be replaced with 0W-20 at the next oil change.

7 hours ago, mrpj said:

That was the lowest price, unless you collect it. Production date 12/10/17, purchased on 3/12/17. Pretty fresh!

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone.

It's time for another service on my wife's 61 plate yaris 1.33 

Since new it has been serviced at toyota dealer and always ran on toyota 0w20 oil and the engine runs like new.

Right now a full service would cost just short of £300 or if I go for the value Gold service it would be £190.
My trusted garage (where I'm servicing my own car) quoted me £120 labour, inc 3 filters and 0w20 Luk oil. That is a really good price if you ask me.

I'm just not sure about the oil. I know it's a Lukoil FE 0w20, API: SN/SN-RC,  Ilsac: GS-5 and that's it. 
Any thoughts on that please???

My wife only does about 4k miles a year anyway so I don't want to overspend on servicing but then I know from experience that saving money right now doesn't always save money in long term if you know what I mean. 

I'll be grateful for all the suggestions and thought on this, especially this oil type. Is it worth saving £70?

Thanks!!!

The Essential Care service scheme has been replaced by the 5+ Club - 

Going away from Toyota dealer servicing means that in the event of a repair where you approach Toyota for a goodwill contribution, the goodwill probably won't be given.

Aside from that it is your choice.

Lukoil is a Russian oil company. As long as the oil meets the requirements for your car it should be OK.

27 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Going away from Toyota dealer servicing means that in the event of a repair where you approach Toyota for a goodwill contribution, the goodwill probably won't be given.

How much goodwill would you expect for an eight year old car?

15 minutes ago, bathtub tom said:

How much goodwill would you expect for an eight year old car?

Some 10 year old IQ's with pearl white paintwork where paint has flaked off, have been fully resprayed at Toyota's cost under goodwill - several cases documented on these forums. So whats the cost of a full respray?

Eurocarparts has killed all the competition with their price cut of most popular 0w20 on the market in UK-  Petronas 0w20.  Latest price £18.69 for a 5ltr it’s no brainier. For quality it’s made in EU very likely by Castrol as it’s got same bottle cap.  I am using this personally more than 3 years now in a car that it’s driven harder than a taxi and I change oil every two months, no oil added between changes and even in ultra hot temperatures there were no problems at all. Does get darker with the time and mileage but doesn’t became dirty dark contaminated so a good sign of quality oil imo. 

Regards 

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Some 10 year old IQ's with pearl white paintwork where paint has flaked off, have been fully resprayed at Toyota's cost under goodwill - several cases documented on these forums. So whats the cost of a full respray?

Oh dear. As my Yaris had its fifth birthday I'm doing my own servicing. Let's hope nothing goes wrong while I've got it.

TBF I don't really have very good experience when it comes to toyota's good will. Had an issue with my avensis a while ago and toyota not only refused to fix it under the warranty (the failure wasn't my fault at all, they tried to blame me even tho they couldn't prove it was) but also rejected any other solutions and I had to pay the full price to have it fixed.

So I'm not really that bothered about toyota's good will. 

I'm only worried about the actual oil and its specification. Just want to be sure it's the right oil for my engine.

If it is only the oil, the following provides the specifications you need to look for - 

• 1 year later...

Been running a well known brand of 0w20 for a year,  found that after a long run the engine sounded like a bag of nails and didn’t sound healthy . Switched to Shell helix ultra 5w30 engine sounds much smoother,  think I’d rather have a healthy sounding engine and longevity at the expense of saving a mile for CAFE targets . Oil changed every 6000 miles