Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Consumption

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Guys is it normal, when the car stays longer like 2 days, the sound and the feeling of the engine is different ???

I did get that with my old Yaris, but more in summer than winter. I found the engine would feel looser and sound smoother if I hadn't driven it for 2-3 days. Not sure why, maybe the oil draining away from surfaces so there was a bit less friction until it started being pumped round again?

Not noticed it in a car that has been sitting for a few days.

However I certainly notice the difference after spending a few hours on the motorway at 60-70mph. The engine feels much looser and nippier. A bit of a trashing, once the engine is warm, once a week keeps it nice too.

Pottering around and not exceeding 3000 rpm will just clog up the engine. The x-shift that I have often exceeds this when accelerating at a medium rate.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ALL

Okay, so after this recent full tank of petrol, i hit 215 miles in all, did another diagnostic today and no codes what so ever, all clear, and i have just filled another full tank today.

Anyway, rang Toyota to ask a price on a new cat...350.00 all in...HOWEVER it wasnt a wasted call...as they suggested...it might be my AIR FUEL SENSOR ??? I didnt think of that...infact what is it? Its not the MAF sensor is it ?

Wow still only 215miles per tank that is bad.

I'm getting 465 to 480miles out of a tank in do 500miles a week.

If I was getting that I would sell it and get and another Aygo. 

Even my last aygo had 86000miles on it and that was getting over 450 miles per tank. She did like drinking the oil though. 

4 hours ago, kisbell said:

Wow still only 215miles per tank that is bad.

I'm getting 465 to 480miles out of a tank in do 500miles a week.

If I was getting that I would sell it and get and another Aygo. 

Even my last aygo had 86000miles on it and that was getting over 450 miles per tank. She did like drinking the oil though. 

Sell it and get another 1...hell no...i like her too much...id rather keep filling her up.

Any techs re.the Air Fuel Sensor???

Where is the Air Fuel Sensor???

Anybody???

On 06/04/2018 at 4:04 PM, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Anyway, rang Toyota to ask a price on a new cat...350.00 all in...HOWEVER it wasnt a wasted call...as they suggested...it might be my AIR FUEL SENSOR ??? I didnt think of that...infact what is it? Its not the MAF sensor is it ?

No MAF on our cars, just a combined MAP and Inlet Air Temperature sensor.    According to Haynes "The sensor is located in the top of the inlet manifold, behind the throttle body"   Perhaps the Toyota chap was referring to that?

Where is the Air Fuel Sensor???

Anybody???

They are possibly referring to the hego / oxygen sensor / air fuel ratio sensor. Which you will find in the exhaust.

You will normally find it before the catalyst and on some engines there are two, one pre and one post catalyst.

If there is a fault with the O2 sensor it should produce an OBD fault code, so I would suggest trying to get an OBD code reader and checking for fault codes.

The MAP is very reliable, unlike older MAF systems. I do not think that the MAP sensor will be the problem.

You can however check the output reading in kpa which, if wrong could be either a MAP fault or, if low, point to a manifold air leak which could induce the MAP to add more fuel than it should. Unless its a massive air leak though, this would only make a big difference on idle and very low throttle openings.

I will add that manifold air leaks on these engines are rare as well though.

Personally I think its barking up the wrong tree. Also, not wanting to bang the same drum, but MAP readings are another item which a rolling road operator can check, the whole point of diagnosis being to avoid the systematic replacement of perfectly good parts to find the root problem.

Thanks guys...

Interesting points raised from all parties...

Do you guys know if such sensors can be CLEANED in someway...just asking out of curiousity???

Update guys...

my vehicle is driving a little rough and idling a bit rough...having to put my foot a lityle more to make her move...AND im definitely getting excessive thick white smoke...

Any ideas lads?

Head gasket.... Is it losing coolant?

A sniff test at any decent garage will confirm either way in about 5 minutes.

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

Head gasket.... Is it losing coolant?

A sniff test at any decent garage will confirm either way in about 5 minutes.

Hi planemo...

thanx...i need to check the coolant...i dont think it is...but tell me are headgaskets expensive to buy and difficult to fix?

And how do they do a sniff test?

3 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Update guys...

my vehicle is driving a little rough and idling a bit rough...having to put my foot a lityle more to make her move...AND im definitely getting excessive thick white smoke...

Any ideas lads?

Excessive white smoke. Could be a warped or cracked cylinder head or even engine block.  Is there a milky type gloop in the oil filler cap? Is the car overheating?

Headgasket replacement is definitely not something to be undertaken by the novice. When I had one done on my old car, I also had to have the cylinder head skimmed.

From everything you write here it would appear you spend more time chasing faults than actually driving the car. I'd get shut if I were you. 

1 hour ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Hi planemo...

thanx...i need to check the coolant...i dont think it is...but tell me are headgaskets expensive to buy and difficult to fix?

And how do they do a sniff test?

Yes, headgaskets is generally one of the biggest engine jobs to be done and can be quite expensive. As mentioned before, mayonnaise looking gloop or oil (rainbow effect) in the coolant is a sure sign that something is wrong. Also look under the oil filler cap for signs of excessive mayo though a engine that does a lot of short journeys may cause this.

A sniff test if I remember correctly is a tube that sucks up some coolant and a liquid changes colour if it detects exhaust gas which should not be present.

Guys...much appreciated re.your inputs. Just realised my posting has hit over 15000...wow.

Anyway...just been out....Oil level is perfect and dead on.

There is a sign of mayo under filler cap but very light

And there is no shiny/rainbow film on coolant and level is 

full to the top and pink in colour i.e longlife

So there we have it. And oh overheating someone mentioned...we dont have a temp guage so who knows but i doubt it.

A few have mentioned i should get rid but i love her so much...she has a full history and only 54000 miles on her. If i can get more miles and no smoke from her with a smooth drive...id never ever get rid of her...if im pushed id rather park her in the garage to rot but i wouldnt wsnt to get rid!

Pics of my inspection earlier today...

FC423E12-3D30-4459-8ADD-E11ABD1D694B.jpeg

8E663BC1-BDFC-47F9-87A9-2ACE38BE9EE8.jpeg

9D6E5C5E-622D-4A91-8B34-D87ECF30F73B.jpeg

65B73DFF-E2C5-4A30-BEA8-5C8F78FE9332.jpeg

From what I can see it all looks clear. How to tell if the engine is overheating? The car will run very sluggishly and you will most likely be able to smell a very strong sweet smell from the cabin, you could pop the hood and have a sniff after driving.

Ok guys update time...

Took my baby into my sons work garage again today ...diagnostic still showing no codes...mechanic recons i should consider replacing both sensors top & bottom of manifold...rang toyota and at 100.00 + vat i declined...next option he recommended replacing cat...cheapest find so far Klarius at 85.00 + vat...not bad but im hesitant still...but he agreed the vehicle is smoking and still uncertain as to what my issue is thats causing the white smoke and high fuel consumption.

Anyhoo...thought id stop at another garage on my way home...interesting because this guy took 1 look at my oil level...coolant...oil filler cap...asked me to rev it a few times while he inspected the white smoke...and advised...he was 100% certain that my cat nor sensors require any investigation...he said the smoke is clear white and appears to be vapour build up due to excess water in the back box...he recommended a good hours drive up the motorways followed by a small 2-3mm drill hole dead centre at the bottom of my back box to prevent future water build up...he said all new exhausts no longer have a form of drainage designed on purpose to rust from the inner and require regular replacement benefitting them. 

If this is my issue...id be ecstatic! 

Input please my dear fellow forumsters.

I fail to see how a build up of water in a back box would cause all the symptoms you have. Also, evaporation of water from an exhaust does not produce white smoke, it makes steam.

Most decent aftermarket back boxes are stainless steel (my Fox one is) so they do not rust, and there is no way I am going to drill a hole in it.

This is true white smoke from a blown head gasket:

Sam, if you don't mind me asking, since buying your car, how many times have you visited garages to ask them to investigate problems and or offer advice?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Planemo said:

I fail to see how a build up of water in a back box would cause all the symptoms you have. Also, evaporation of water from an exhaust does not produce white smoke, it makes steam.

Most decent aftermarket back boxes are stainless steel (my Fox one is) so they do not rust, and there is no way I am going to drill a hole in it.

This is true white smoke from a blown head gasket:

Hi Planemo,

Thanks for the vid, i think i need to clarify something that i failed to mentioned, re.the white smoke, it only happens when i rev my car hard, its no where as the vid shows off thats idling, infact at idle its normal, its due to the slight struggle i feel when driving that i tend to floor it hence i see more smoke. My hubby recons i stress to much and its going to take getting used to with a 3 cylinder. Today i had no smoke at all. 

I think i also struggle to differentiate between condensation and smoke if im honest.

Whats more interesting is that all my notches are full to the top after recently filling a full tank...i havent dropped a notch yet...but today ive hit 62 miles so far...normally i drop a notch guaranteed at 42...im actually in shock...so maybe the weather does play a part with it being so warm today!!!

Guys...guess what...dropped a notch from full but managed 135 miles before i dropped another...compared to my previous 44miles per notch...im ecstatic...interesting hey. 

I admit i have changed my driving style recent...smoother on the throttle.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

Quick update...

Here is a log after a full tanker and the total miles achieved since ownership:

214.4 miles

254 miles

218.1 miles

253.7 miles

And currently i have achieved 110 before dropping my first notch.

I do not notice any smoke much these days that i previously complained about, but all faults aside, i honestly think my mpg are going up due to a change in my driving style...i am very light on the throttle these days, and it seems to be working...interesting hey!!!