Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Consumption

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

The current warmer weather helps with fuel consumption :smile:       For me, 110miles on the first bar works out to around 50mpg  just what I was getting over winter.

You could always use Torque or a similar app to monitor instantaneous and average fuel consumption. 

• 1 month later...

Hello Everybody...

I thought i’d do a quick update on my baby...

Good news...i did 101 miles before dropping my first notch on a full tank last week...yay...i am ecstatic. I assume it could be due to the warmer climate, and that a little more than half of it were motorway miles.

More good news, i managed to bag myself a brand new boxed and genuine Toyota Aygo Cat via a popular bidding site, £36.00 all in, amazing hey. I checked the part number with my local Toyota dealers prior to bidding.

I am now considering whether i should replace it or see how i go in the meantime. If i do decide to replace, will i need to replace the sensor, the one that sits on top of the manifold i think you call it? 

I look forward to hearing from you guys.

Cheers.

Sammy

• 5 months later...

Hi All

Just worked out my MPG and thought I'd share...My Aygo is an 07 with 131,514 on the clock. I average about 500 miles a week and change my oil, filters, plugs etc every 4 months. I used to use 5W-30 and 2 oil changes ago, I changed to 0W-20. In my opinion this was a good choice, it has improved the MPG by about 10% and it just feels better, especially when the engine is cold.

Anyway. dividing the mileage by the litres used, then multiplying by 4.544 my MPG is currently 57 .....I'm happy with that 😉

20 hours ago, Colin J.S said:

Hi All

Just worked out my MPG and thought I'd share...My Aygo is an 07 with 131,514 on the clock. I average about 500 miles a week and change my oil, filters, plugs etc every 4 months. I used to use 5W-30 and 2 oil changes ago, I changed to 0W-20. In my opinion this was a good choice, it has improved the MPG by about 10% and it just feels better, especially when the engine is cold.

Anyway. dividing the mileage by the litres used, then multiplying by 4.544 my MPG is currently 57 .....I'm happy with that 😉

That's good to hear, as i'm having my car serviced on Monday and swapping to 0w20.

I'm on about 71500 miles and its an 06, so not done a great deal, and i do a fair bit of mileage.

I'm getting around 400 miles from a tank, that's to flashing light.

4 hours ago, Chopstick Racing said:

That's good to hear, as i'm having my car serviced on Monday and swapping to 0w20.

I'm on about 71500 miles and its an 06, so not done a great deal, and i do a fair bit of mileage.

I'm getting around 400 miles from a tank, that's to flashing light.

Hi.......are you servicing yourself or by a garage? The reason Im asking is that apparently the sump plug isn't in the perfect place and whilst you think all the oil has drained out, there is actually almost a pint that doesn't drain out, so you're never really getting 100% fresh oil when you re-fill. After draining I usually whip the sump off to completely drain it........not sure how much your service person would want but might be worth it as a one off  as you're switching the oil grade.....just a thought,

It will be interesting to see what you think once its done 😉

On 12/20/2018 at 2:50 PM, Colin J.S said:

Hi All

Chers Colin j.s..

im due a service...d.i.y one...in Feb i think...

shall i go 0/20 then? I full tank every three weeks and cover approx 220 miles lol.

would 0/20 be better for my engine?

btw...55k on the clock

10 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Chers Colin j.s..

im due a service...d.i.y one...in Feb i think...

shall i go 0/20 then? I full tank every three weeks and cover approx 220 miles lol.

would 0/20 be better for my engine?

btw...55k on the clock

Hi Sam

I can only offer my opinion. If I remember correctly, 0W20 used to be not so easily available and rather expensive so it was the easier/cheaper option to use 5W30. 0W20 is now as cheap and easy to obtain (some great deals on eBay) Personally I don't go for so called genuine Toyota oil, I believe you are paying way over the top for the packaging, if you read the 'ingredients' you get exactly the same grade with the cheaper options.

All I can say is in my experience the MPG improves. The oil is thinner so it gets flowing around the engine quicker especially from cold and surely that must reduce wear on the engine. It generally sounds quieter and feels smoother .

I haven't been around on here for a while and have been reading all the posts. I have noticed re your story that your MPG seems exceptionally poor but Im sorry I don't really have any suggestions for you. It could just be the performance exhaust (not sure if you've modded the air intake) I haven't bothered with any performance mods as (again, only my opinion)  for what very little significant gain in power is offset by the increase in fuel consumption, which kinda defeats the object of having an Aygo.....(each to their own of course). Colin. 😉

I use 5w30 all year round. 0w20 is very thin indeed and I certainly wouldnt risk it in summer on my 12 year old, 90k engine. Newer engines have tighter tolerances and is why many are specced for 0w all year round. You will probably be ok in the winter but I still dont see a benefit and frankly I am amazed that anyone would see a difference in mpg between 0w and 5w on our engines. Placebo? I would certainly want to see some decent control data.

My aygo move with style was served at toyota in June they used 0w20 I drive about 510 miles a week. The service I had in January at toyota they used 5w30 I still got 510 miles from a tank. I cannot see any difference.

I can notice when my tyre pressures need to be checked mpg drops off slowly over the month. After the they are inflated it goes back up.

4 minutes ago, kisbell said:

My aygo move with style was served at toyota in June they used 0w20 I drive about 510 miles a week. The service I had in January at toyota they used 5w30 I still got 510 miles from a tank. I cannot see any difference.

I can notice when my tyre pressures need to be checked mpg drops off slowly over the month. After the they are inflated it goes back up.

Can I be cheeky and ask you what your style of driving is and whether your use is city, motorway or a mixture of both?

I fail to get past 350 miles on a full tank with half motorway and half city driving. I am a little heavy on the throttle though, so wondering if you have feather toes 😂

Good question I travel from Surrey to north London so mainly motorway but I do tend to get stuck in a lot of traffic. I turn the engine off when stationery. I have the ac on all the time to try and stop exhaust fumes coming in the cabin.

Hi Kevin,

I'm with David ( @fordulike ) on this one as I always fill up at somewhere between 250-350 miles on the odometer (I don't trust the fuel gauge :wink: ) and I thought I was doing pretty well to get 58-60 mpg out of my Aygo.  I have had about 62 mpg on a long run but never more than that.

With a fuel tank of 35 litres (7.7 Gallons), 510 miles works out at 66 mpg....every time! :jawdrop:

Crikey, that's good!  I don't doubt you for a second but I wish I knew how to do it.

Well done and all the best....Merry Christmas! :newyear:

I think the main reason for the good mpg is the variable speed limits on the M3/M25/M40 a40 a406 I always seem to be at a speed between 40/60 and if I stop I turn the engine off. 

It's serviced regularly it all helps. 

It's my 3rd aygo. My first was 08 aygo platinum I could only get 410/430 miles per tank.

The next aygo was a aygo go it was a bit better. 450/480 miles.

This aygo has been the best. Hopefully soon I'll try thre new shape aygo. 

I did have a Yaris hybrid for a couple of weeks when my can was in for repair at toyota last December.

It didn't have as good mpg as the aygo.