Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Consumption

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

I didn't know this. I'll make a point of giving my car a sustained 60/70 MPH bash now and again. I don't know just how fast it would go, but I'm guessing it would sit comfortably at motorway speeds without sounding like a strangled chicken. 

32 minutes ago, paulie b said:

I didn't know this. I'll make a point of giving my car a sustained 60/70 MPH bash now and again. I don't know just how fast it would go, but I'm guessing it would sit comfortably at motorway speeds without sounding like a strangled chicken. 

Yeah, don't be afraid to sit at 70mph in fourth gear. It's not particularly quiet, but it's good for the engine and you can always turn the radio up.

On 1/30/2018 at 5:48 AM, zuh said:

I confirm :)

After a long journey on the highway at high revs, the engine feels different. I try to do it regularly.

My car lives on the motorway and dual carriageway every day... 130 miles a day return to work... @ 75mph.. and gets driven hard on back roads which make up ~15 miles of the trip. (this is my 3rd Aygo, first one I took too 105k on this mileage in just under 3 yrs.. with no problems.

Anyway.. my mother in law also has an aygo the same year as mine (2014 X shape).. she lives in a small seaside town and never gets out of 3rd gear.. she was staying at mine the other day, and used my car to visit some family. She really doesn't know her cars that well and asked if mine was a bigger engine model :)  when i asked her why.. she said it seems much quicker. lol

The funny thing is i am sure my Aygo's get really blasted out and never gets clogged up.I never am afraid to rev the car or push it .. It may sound like your giving it some, but  when you look at the rev counter its not actually that high.. I dont redline the car, but certainly let it 'open up' regularly.  

Regarding the mother in law.. she shifts far too early, and treats her car like its SOOO delicate.. its probably clogged up to the max.   When she comes in the aygo with me she says im going far too fast ! and I will break the car haha..   It has not happened yet, in MANY miles. and i rarely go over 75..  and my fuely tracker is averaging 49mpg 

• Like 1

Hi Sammy,

Have you checked for the brakes dragging  ?  

If the flexibles or master cylinder are playing up they might not show a problem when standing cold, perhaps only slowly releasing pressure when running, so causing drag ; does any one wheel feel hotter to the touch after a good drive ?

No mention what the tailpipe looks like, thick black sooty ?

Before paying for an expensive diagnostic why not do a reference drive, fill right up and then take it on the mway for a long run 30 miles + at a steady speed  50 -60mph  and then top up the tank and see what mileage you get, if its still below 30-40mpg  then yes you have a problem with the car.

6 hours ago, AYGOSTU said:

My car lives on the motorway and dual carriageway every day... 130 miles a day return to work... @ 75mph.. and gets driven hard on back roads which make up ~15 miles of the trip. (this is my 3rd Aygo, first one I took too 105k on this mileage in just under 3 yrs.. with no problems.

Anyway.. my mother in law also has an aygo the same year as mine (2014 X shape).. she lives in a small seaside town and never gets out of 3rd gear.. she was staying at mine the other day, and used my car to visit some family. She really doesn't know her cars that well and asked if mine was a bigger engine model :)  when i asked her why.. she said it seems much quicker. lol

The funny thing is i am sure my Aygo's get really blasted out and never gets clogged up.I never am afraid to rev the car or push it .. It may sound like your giving it some, but  when you look at the rev counter its not actually that high.. I dont redline the car, but certainly let it 'open up' regularly.  

Regarding the mother in law.. she shifts far too early, and treats her car like its SOOO delicate.. its probably clogged up to the max.   When she comes in the aygo with me she says im going far too fast ! and I will break the car haha..   It has not happened yet, in MANY miles. and i rarely go over 75..  and my fuely tracker is averaging 49mpg 

I'm the same with my Aygo, I'm never afraid to give her some welly on the motorway particularly going uphill towards the M606 towards Bradford at 80mph. I average about 50mpg.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys n Girls

To update, im on my last notch indicator of fuel today, and ive managed 245 miles, and 145 of those were motorway miles with a fuel cleaner additive added.

I just dont get this.

There doesnt appear to be brake drag, everything looks and feels normal there. Neither is there much black soot and no signs of oil in the exhaust.

It passed its mot with flying colours Saturday gone by the way.

The only issue that i can describe is when driving on cold or hot, the engine feels heavy, like theres something choking it, it doesnt feel like smooth clean power flowing...i constantly feel as if i need to put my foot down that little bit more so as to keep moving without stalling. What could be causing my high fuel consumption? Another issue is my gears feel a bit crunchy and difficult to select 1st..2nd...and reverse most times. Could it be the clutch or gearbox that explains my fuel consumption???

Mine is on 300 miles on the original £40 I put in and still has 2 notches left on fuel, I am quite heavy footed as well so something defo not right with yours.

It wont be the clutch or gearbox, not unless its been filled with wood glue.

I am still suspicious of the cat. A broken/collapsed one could still pass the mot and it would fit with your 'choking' comment. The only real answer to this is to power test the car but to do that we are back to my previous advice of getting it on a dyno.

8 hours ago, Planemo said:

It wont be the clutch or gearbox, not unless its been filled with wood glue.

I am still suspicious of the cat. A broken/collapsed one could still pass the mot and it would fit with your 'choking' comment. The only real answer to this is to power test the car but to do that we are back to my previous advice of getting it on a dyno.

Cheers guys,

Planemo, i have never dyno tested anything in my life, where do i start?

I really like my car, and im known for my impatience, i may just consider putting on a new cat guys, i recon it has to be the answer because something feels choked, i doubt that its the egr but how would i clean this? 

To update, i filled a full tank again this morning after noting 235 miles on my last full tanker, AND i swapped my k&n panel filter back to a brand new genuine Toyota paper one, so lets see how i get on. After completing 15 miles with the paper filter...wow...i can honestly say the k&n one made a massive difference response wise.

I shall keep you guys posted on what miles i total on this fill up!

Souunds like a leaking exhaust manifold.

You will lose power and burn more fuel.

4 hours ago, kisbell said:

Souunds like a leaking exhaust manifold.

You will lose power and burn more fuel.

You might just have hit the nail on the head...thats exactly what crossed my mind earlier today.

To test...do i get someone to block the exhaust end and then follow the exhaust system through to look for a leak?

19 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

To test...do i get someone to block the exhaust end and then follow the exhaust system through to look for a leak?

Block the exhaust with a thick cloth over your hand. If it’s blowing you’ll hear it. 

Hi All

Took it to a garage this morning...RE.a possible exhaust issue being the fuel consumption issue...turned out that i had a leak on my silencer/back box...it was on the seal that folds over when looking at it from behind...

And so i had to make a decision...

New TTE exhaust...£480+

Fit a standard silencer...but modify it to weld on my TTE tail end pipe...but then i looked at the overall size of my TTE silencer compared to a standard Aygo one and the TTE one looks much LARGER...so i doubt that couldve worked out...or wouldve looked messy.

Final option was to take it to a welder i know...and thats the option i took...he tried to weld it on the seal line after i insisted that he tried this as i wanted to keep the box looking neat...it wouldnt work...and so he welded a plate over it...i hate the look of it...yuk

The 2 mile drive home...it seemed to have a little more kick...couldnt hear that blow as much which i originally thought was the sound of a TTE exhaust...i guess time will tell if my consumption improves...fingers crossed!!!

image.jpg

I would be really surprised if the leak was the fuel economy problem, but I have all my fingers and toes crossed for you.

Unless the leak was allowing unburnt air to back up to the o2 sensors (thus making the ecu think the engine is running lean and hence add more fuel), any reduction in back pressure from the cat back will nearly always add power, not reduce it. The fact that the leak was so far away from the o2 sensor would suggest the latter but like I say, I hope it helps!

41 minutes ago, Planemo said:

I would be really surprised if the leak was the fuel economy problem, but I have all my fingers and toes crossed for you.

Unless the leak was allowing unburnt air to back up to the o2 sensors (thus making the ecu think the engine is running lean and hence add more fuel), any reduction in back pressure from the cat back will nearly always add power, not reduce it. The fact that the leak was so far away from the o2 sensor would suggest the latter but like I say, I hope it helps!

Cheers Planemo..

I have more than my fingers n toes crossed...i really hope that it is the answer.

But you’ve made me think of something else, do you think i should consider cleaning the o2 sensors and lamda sensors with an air gun maybe? 

My next mission was to paint my silencer box with high temp exhaust paint so as to blend in that nasty looking patch that he welded on.

P#S....

can anybody confirm if a tte rear silencer is the same in size compared to a standard silencer please?

sammy

5 hours ago, kisbell said:

Are you sure it's not leaking like this?

Like this? Am i missing a link?

To update...i found another leak...since we’ve solved the main leak...it looks like any smaller ones are showing up...this ones directly behind the tail pipe before it joins the silencer...back to the welder tomorrow...darn...this time ill check the entire system while its on the ramp...in the meantime it is driving better and no signs of a struggling engine

If the manifold/Cat is ok i would recommend a new exhaust. 

If the manifold/cat is leaking you can get a new one from euro car parts for £186 the rest of the system is £130 

voucher code FEB70 

I'm sure your welder could pop it on for you.

5 minutes ago, aygoes said:

Which fuel quality should I use for Aygo?

I’ve tried premium fuel for a month and found it makes little difference. The only thing I found was the engine was a little harder to start.

On 2/26/2018 at 12:27 PM, Cjohnston1982 said:

I’ve tried premium fuel for a month and found it makes little difference. The only thing I found was the engine was a little harder to start.

Please describe that little harder to start and what is the little difference ?

On 26/02/2018 at 11:20 AM, aygoes said:

Which fuel quality should I use for Aygo?

The owners manual states '95RON or higher', so it doesn't matter which one uses.

I use both in my Aygo. Usually fill up with BP or Shell, but if I use supermarket fuel, I use Tesco Momentum, which is 99RON and approx the same price locally as branded unleaded, due to the additive package being better than Tesco standard unleaded. Done this with my previous two Auris.

If you're expecting better fuel economy from the premium unleaded, really any increase is negligible.

I've not noticed any difference in starting.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links