Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Reason for joining

Babydragon

Hello all

I’ve just bought a new Yaris Hybrid and must admit to being disappointed and have joined the forum to try to find out if I’m missing a point somewhere. I seriously need help. 🤔

What are you disappointed with? Did you test drive a hybrid first?

Hello, thanks for the response.

The general performance and fuel consumption is disappointing. The car is thirsty and sluggish, not a good combination. I did text drive a hybrid before purchasing but these flaws have become evident during normal use. I may have the wrong setting 🤔 but at the moment I’m searching for any answers to improve the overall performance of the car. I don’t want to resent the purchasing decision. Any pointers will be appreciated. 

Hi Bev, The type of driving that you typically do& your driving style will have a great effect on your mpg. If you can give the forum more info on those it will help the forum users to help you.

Also, the cold weather will affect it noticeably so your mpg should improve as we move towards summer plus it should also improve as you put miles on it & the car loosens up from new.

So what fuel consumption were you expecting to achieve?

6 hours ago, Babydragon said:

The car is thirsty and sluggish, not a good combination.

The car is generally a city car and it is in this realm it succeeds - I think the urban figures are over 90mpg. In the city it will be better than any other car (excluding EVs). It is on the 70 mph situations where it loses out to diesel type mpg. Initial acceleration is rapid to 40 mph, but you have to floor it and learn to like the noise - at least you know it is giving its all, which is nice.

Given all this, my average mpg is down to 50 this winter (from 60 ish), but my journeys are short and the engine is always starting from cold and being asked to warm the cabin to 22C. 

In summary, the car will try and change your driving style to be more relaxed and efficiency minded, but if you want, it can beat most cars in the traffic light grand prix. It takes time getting used to its modus operandi.

If you're expecting to get the published EU fuel consumption figures, you won't. These are intended to be a standard comparison tool and don't reflect the consumption owners may actually achieve. See Honest John's Real mpg pages - https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/yaris-and-yaris-hybrid-2011/15-vvt-i-hybrid - where the average consumption owners get is 58 mpg.

Moved to the Yaris club

11 hours ago, Mike J. said:

The car is generally a city car and it is in this realm it succeeds - I think the urban figures are over 90mpg. In the city it will be better than any other car (excluding EVs). It is on the 70 mph situations where it loses out to diesel type mpg. Initial acceleration is rapid to 40 mph, but you have to floor it and learn to like the noise - at least you know it is giving its all, which is nice.

Given all this, my average mpg is down to 50 this winter (from 60 ish), but my journeys are short and the engine is always starting from cold and being asked to warm the cabin to 22C. 

In summary, the car will try and change your driving style to be more relaxed and efficiency minded, but if you want, it can beat most cars in the traffic light grand prix. It takes time getting used to its modus operandi.

Utterly agree with you on all counts.  I absolutely love ours, except that being white, it needs more washing.

Mick.

Thanks for your input. It’s really useful to read the forums and to get honest feedback. My commute is about 11 miles with roughly half of this on dual carriageway. The first tank of fuel, and subsequent, returned around 48mpg. I was expecting high 50s-60s. My previous vehicle was BEV so I’m well used to driving to conserve, and efficiently use, power/fuel. Some of the forum posts here seem to indicate that I have the wrong car and that is worrying.

I am continuing to research particular settings available in the car and I hope that the performance will improve. Failing that I’ve learned the lesson to carry out more research before buying in future. 🧐

That's about normal for a new Yaris in winter.

My last Prius was more economical than the Yaris on a 7 mile commute.

I have played with all the combinations, like forcing EV mode, using "B" to slow down approaching roundabouts, in all honesty they made not one iota of difference, I now just leave it in drive.

Just make sure your braking is long and gentle, if it's too hard you will go beyond regenerative and waste energy, look at the power meter for info.

Read the road well ahead, get used to relaxed acceleration and watch out for crosswinds !

54 minutes ago, Babydragon said:

My previous vehicle was BEV so I’m well used to driving to conserve, and efficiently use, power/fuel. Some of the forum posts here seem to indicate that I have the wrong car and that is worrying.

For your commute a BEV would be perfect in the winter with pre-conditioning giving you a nice warm start in the morning. I am interested in why you would move away from a BEV?

14 minutes ago, martswain said:

.... using "B" to slow down approaching roundabouts .....

Using B on the Yaris will reduce regeneration and so increase overall fuel use. 

Hello Mike

The decision to move from BEV was purely financial. I set a budget of £200 per month for PPC cost and a new EV was over £300. The hybrid Yaris seemed like a good compromise while the larger manufacturers enter the market and reduced the overall cost of EV over the next few years. I will definitely be returning to BEV, my previous car was excellent and developments in battery technology to increase range will make EVs even better in the future. In the meantime exploring the world of hybrid will be a challenge.

Bev,

When I first got the Yaris Hybrid, I thought about it in a similar way. It wasn't until a friend, who had been following me in a Nissan 350Z, mentioned that the initial acceleration was high that I noticed said performance. In looking deeper I found that the 0-30 mph was the same as a Zoe and 0-60 was faster. Regarding mpg, if you are on the flat and doing no more than 65mph you should get around 70mpg (ambient temp above 15C) - I got 73mpg average from Ipswich to Cambridge last year.

Regarding the future, I would be interested in a Yaris PHEV (9 miles electric) with 4WD and BMW i3 performance :smile:. I wonder if Toyota have the confidence to do it?

You may find this interesting from the 2018 What Car, Car of the Year Awards:

"True MPG Award finalist: Toyota Yaris Hybrid Design

While the Yaris Hybrid’s overall fuel economy isn’t exceptional, its figure of 80.0mpg around town is. It makes an ideal car for busy urban streets and proves that Toyota’s hybrid set-up works."

I have recently read about another way to reduce fuel consumption, especially in the winter. Basically make sure that the Battery level is low when you park up at home at the end of the day. This is because in the morning the engine will stay on much longer to supply cabin heat and if it can charge up the Battery at the same time you will get maximum useful energy out of the initial warm up period. Otherwise, you may find yourself stationary (at junctions, traffic lights, etc.) with the engine running purely for heat.

Your MPG is as expected.

It's a new car so will be tight.

As for being sluggish - this is very apparent for the first 2000 miles or so.

Adhere to the running-in restrictions, and NEVER "floor it" when cold, and given a bit of time, you'll start seeing the MPG increase.

They really are good - just have patience! :)

They do like to be driven a certain way, but coming from an EV should make this easier.

I  get an average of 61.6 mpg on a 22 miles journey, using minor roads, this mpg is worked out by filling the tank taking a mileage reading and working out the MPG that way rather than using the on board computer.

Dave

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links