Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

SR180 or not???

paigerich

I currently drive an 07 Corolla Colour Collection 2.0 d4d. Not the best car but does everything I need very well. It's got 128k on the clock and had never missed a beat.

I'm contemplating swapping it for an Auris SR180!!!

I've read good stories and bad stories like the cylinder head going or the dpf etc etc, can anyone spare me the time to tell me about their experiences good or bad and sell me the car. I've seen a nice lie mileage example but I want to hear what they're like

Many thanks in advance

Richard

As regards the head gasket/oil consumption issue, given the registration number, a Toyota dealer should be able to tell whether the car has had the engine replaced or not.

Personally I wouldn't own one of the 2.2 diesel engines out of warranty.

17 minutes ago, alan333 said:

Personally I wouldn't own one of the 2.2 diesel engines out of warranty.

Thanks Alan333

Can I ask why? Have you owned one??

I too wouldn't run any modern common-rail diesel outside warranty as  the potential cost of repairs (DMF, DPF, injectors, turbo etc.) is very high. Unless of course you know that these parts have already been replaced relatively recently.

Whilst you can extend the warranty of a Toyota up until ~ 11 it will cost you & the youngest SR180 is going to be 6 already.

The 180 bhp 2AD-FHV anecdotally is at the highest (albeit still low) risk of head/head gasket problems amongst the 1AD/2AD engine variants. If you do still want to get one try to get one manufactured after September 2009 as that is when supposedly they had resolved the issues in production.

1 hour ago, paigerich said:

Thanks Alan333

Can I ask why? Have you owned one??

No I haven't mate, but have read quite a few horror stories about them in everything they're fitted to, including Lexus.

If it was me - I would analyse my potential car purchase... do I need the extra woomph from the 2.2 against the 2.0 (or the bulletproof petrol), what's the chances of head problems, do i have the money and time (and a spare car in the meantime) to fix it if it breaks, do I want to drive every journey wondering if the temp gauge is slightly higher than normal etc.  

Obviously there's a risk, and nobody knows the precentage of problem ones out there.  But for me, personally, the risk outweighs the potential benefits.   The cost of a replacement engine could mean having to scrap the car and end up with nothing.  Any car/engine could obviously suffer a catastrophic failure, but if it's a rare occurrence then that's just an unlucky draw of the cards.  Choosing one with a known problem is a different set of odds all together.

Just my tuppenceworth tho mate, obviously if you decide to buy one I hope it's all the car you ever wanted - I'm certian it'll be a darn nice drive!

Thanks Alan & Heidfirst for your replies.

Alan, everything you said makes perfect sense. The same thoughts had crossed my mind but I wanted to hear other people's thoughts on the car/engine. I've read similar things myself... The head gasket going, overheating, using an awful lot of oil etc, but then I read about the new engines Toyota were fitting to overcome these issues. I guess even the newest 180s are now too old for that repair. I'd read about the dpf clogging up with constant short journeys but I keep looking out for them on eBay or auto trader!! 

What about if they've had the repairs done? I've seen 2, one has 87k, 59 plate (Nov 09) the other has 57k, 09 plate (Apr 09). According to Heidfirst the 59 plate should have the newer, updated engine which remedies the above issues or so I've read. They've both got full service histories or so their adverts say!!

I'm still in two minds, I still like one but will approach with a lot more caution. Thank you both for your thoughts and replies. If anyone else had any thoughts, experiences, good or bad or anything else that will support our contradict what has been said, please leave a comment. I'd rather read all the trouble that comes with these cars so I can decide rather than by one and then get told "told you so"

Thanks again

Richard

7 hours ago, paigerich said:

I've seen 2, one has 87k, 59 plate (Nov 09) the other has 57k, 09 plate (Apr 09). According to Heidfirst the 59 plate should have the newer, updated engine which remedies the above issues or so I've read.

Registered in November 09 doesn't mean that it wasn't manufactured before September 09 & therefore is not "in the clear".  As Frosty mentioned it would also be useful to know if either has had a replacement engine under the warranty programme.

Whilst the head/head-gasket issue is a known one on the 1AD/2AD series engines produced up until late 2009 it's worth remembering that only a small % actually develop it (we believe under 5% ). However, it is the cost of the approved fix (i.e. engine replacement) v the value of the car should it develop that is the sword of Damocles. Having said that, whilst Toyota say that these should not be skimmed, we do know of people that have had them skimmed apparently successfully.

Update...

I emailed Toyota UK the other day to see whether either vehicle I'd seen has had the work carried out under Toyota's goodwill gesture.

Both vehicles have the 2AD engines and both vehicles HAVE NOT had the work carried out.

I won't be buying either car. I can't be doing with the hassle, the cost of repairs or scrap if either break down or the worry of the breaking down. Pity as I really would have liked one.....never mind 😥

Thank you to all who replied. You confirmed things that I'd already read and why I asked the question.

Thanks again

Rich

1 hour ago, paigerich said:

.I emailed Toyota UK the other day to see whether either vehicle I'd seen has had the work carried out under Toyota's goodwill gesture.

Both vehicles have the 2AD engines and both vehicles HAVE NOT had the work carried out.

Toyota would only have done the work if there had been a problem with them during the extended warranty period. Whilst I have said that I personally wouldn't run any manufacturer's common-rail, DPF-equipped turbo diesel out of warranty (I took out extended warranties on both of my 2AD-equipped Avensis) that doesn't mean that those 2ADs will have a problem  as only a small % develop the issue. 

I took out the extended warranty on my wife's Avensis 2.0 d4d when it reached 5 years old, however as the dealer warned me at the time the DPF is classed as a filter so is therefore a 'service item' and wouldn't be covered by the extended warranty anyway! Although our Avensis has been totally 100% (touch wood) reliable I wouldn't be keen to buy another diesel and will probably go for a petrol hybrid next time. 

My petrol 1.6 Auris has generally been very good reliability wise,  and I get around 42 MPG which is better than many seem to get from the SR180 diesel. 

• 1 month later...

I have had my  ‘58 plate SR180 for about 4 years. Had the engine replaced about 3yrs ago.  The MPG is pretty terrible as I only get about 37mpg and I don’t hammer. The tax is £180 per year as well which I was pretty surprised at. 

But I do love the car and not planning on changing it anytime soon. I love the way it looks as the rear spoiler really finishes it off I think. Have put mud flaps and wind deflectors on. You don’t see very many of them about either.

I love the way it drives as well and handles nicely. I was hoping to get it remapped to sort out the flat spots but it seems that very few companies can do it. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links