Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

MMT Semi Automatic Questions

JackT

Hi All

First all, apologies if this has been answered but I did do a search of the forums and I couldn't find the answers that I'm looking for.

I just purchased the Yaris (1.33) MMT Semi Automatic and it's my first automatic car, which I'll be collecting next week, so I'm somewhat ignorant on the functionality of it. As such, it would be great if I can get a few answers from you kind people:

1) When driving in automatic mode, can I shift it to manual while on the move? Or do I have to be stationary to change modes in case it damages the car? 

2) Once in manual mode, do I need to release my foot from the gas before shifting gears?

3) Any best practices that you guys can advise when driving in manual mode would be great.

4) Is the cigarette lighter a live wire in this model? In other words, can I plug in a solar trickle charger to maintain the car Battery with the ignition off? I've read somewhere that most modern cars are not live wired anymore so this isn't possible.

Of course most of the time I will be driving in automatic mode but there are times when I will be driving in manual mode, hence why I'm seeking answers to the above. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

1 hour ago, JackT said:

1) When driving in automatic mode, can I shift it to manual while on the move? Or do I have to be stationary to change modes in case it damages the car? 

2) Once in manual mode, do I need to release my foot from the gas before shifting gears?

3) Any best practices that you guys can advise when driving in manual mode would be great.

4) Is the cigarette lighter a live wire in this model?  In other words, can I plug in a solar trickle charger to maintain the car battery with the ignition off?

1) You can change modes any time.  But if you are in manual mode and, for example, are going too slow for 5th gear - it'll over-rule you and change to 4th etc on your behalf.

2) No

3) Buy a manual instead if that's what you want (tongue in cheek).

4) Try it.  If the cig lighter works with the ignition off you're good, if not then you're not.

It's basically a manual where the car controls the gear changes and clutch, so in manual mode you should just select gears as you would in a manual.

I don't think you can trickle-charge via the lighter socket; I know in all the Yarisususesieses I've owned the lighter socket is ONLY active when the key is in position 1 or 2.

However, Frosty posted a neat link to an AA solar charger which charged via the ODB2 socket!

Alternatively, you can probably run some wires from the fusebox (You have the same year as my new one so it'll be under/behind the passenger glovebox) to something that you can charge the Battery with. Frosty's one will be easier tho', although I'm not sure how dangerous it is to leave it plugged in when you start the car...

Awesome. Thanks for the quick responses guys. This is really helpful stuff. Hopefully I won't have any issues while driving in manual mode. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got another question for you kind folks as you were all so helpful last time:

My automatic Yaris (2009 model) creeps forward from stationary even with no gas applied (same for when it's in reverse). I assume this is normal as this is what happens with manual cars with control on the clutch? However, my girlfriend's automatic Lexus doesn't creep forward. She has to physically apply a bit of gas from stationary to start moving.

Just want to make sure this is perfectly normal for an automatic Yaris and that I haven't purchased a faulty one haha.

3 hours ago, JackT said:

Got another question for you kind folks as you were all so helpful last time:

My automatic Yaris (2009 model) creeps forward from stationary even with no gas applied (same for when it's in reverse). I assume this is normal as this is what happens with manual cars with control on the clutch? However, my girlfriend's automatic Lexus doesn't creep forward. She has to physically apply a bit of gas from stationary to start moving.

Just want to make sure this is perfectly normal for an automatic Yaris and that I haven't purchased a faulty one haha.

Your car should creep so that's fine, what Lexus does your GF have ?

Cool thanks guys. Apologies for all these silly questions but it's my first time owning an automatic and a Yaris so I'm completely ignorant of it's workings haha. But I'm absolutely loving this little nippy car :)

Devon Aygo - she has a Lexus CT, far superior to my Yaris.

29 minutes ago, JackT said:

Devon Aygo - she has a Lexus CT, far superior to my Yaris.

Still a Toyota though!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links