Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2AD-FHV Engine removal tips needed, please

Jpadie

Hi 

i'm quite a way through the service manual in terms of removing the engine from my T180.  I'm blocked at two points that I'd love some tips on please:

1.  i think I can get the head off without removing the engine.  However there is one bolt on the cam cover that is occluded by the turbo, a wee 10mm one.    I've tried all sorts of tools to get at it but just don't have access for anything.  i can get an open spanner on to it, but the turbo stops me from being able to move the spanner sufficiently to crack the nut.  Any thoughts on this, or how to get the turbo out of the way (it looks as though the turbo won't come out with the engine in its current position: needs to be dropped down or rotated forwards).

2.  to cant the engine, or remove it (i.e. whichever route I take...) I have to remove the prop from the rear and front diffs (to remove it altogether).  I'm stuck on the front diff - I can't crack any of the four nuts, even with a 3ft breaker bar.  they're 12mm nuts/bolts and only small sockets will fit on due to the bulge.  I've removed the gear shift and select cables but think I'm still in gear anyway; the prop does not easily rotate but it does slightly do so; I'm probably in first.    Are these nuts/bolts some magic variety like those gates Gandalf opened with Dwarvish?  I've got the car on pyramids, so have about 24" of clearance; but don't have a lift so have to make do with a relatively tight space.  I can't get my breaker bar on them as there is too much play in the head.  and I can't crack them with a 12" ratchet and hammer.   I haven't tried penetrating oil yet as I got ****** off when the hammer dropped on my head, and stopped for a cuppa, only to find my basement flooded...

tia

Justin

Not many on here will have tackled jobs like this Justin, however there was a chap who did this job but I think it was on an avensis.

People also come and go and he may not come back but if you find him and pm him you may get some more info. 

Regards

Keith

Thanks Keith.  I will take a look in that forum then.  

Im surprised that people don't  do this given the prices of new cars and of Toyota/independent  labour.  So far it has not seemed like too hard a job although some things have taken an age to get off without a rattle gun.   But i do have the advantage of a private garden and some hard standing for the car to be put on stands.  

Famous last words...

By the by I got the prop out relatively easily in the end.  Some penetrating oil, some bracing and then the nuts cracked off with very little force.  Needed to get both ends undone then give them a damn good hammering and take the prop off from the centre as a single piece.  Otherwise too much stress gets put on the universal joint.  

Then got stuck on the axle nut.  Was going at them with a socket that was  perhaps a cm too short and ended up getting nowhere other than rounding the shoulders of the nut.   Struggling to unstake the nut too.   

So another week delayed and walking to town and back each day!