Do Not Sell My Personal Information

High mileage bangernomics - what will go wrong next?

spog1

Our 1.8 vvti 2007 model has now done 157,000 miles and things are starting to fail.  This is not surprising but I wonder how many components I should expect to replace in the next year or two?  It is serviced annually we do between 15-20k miles a year.  Nothing has needed doing until at 140k miles we did the clutch, then two weeks ago two of the ignition coil packs failed taking the lambda sensor with it as well.  Now all replaced.  Air-con packed up and suspect leak so not fixing that.   Engine is running as sweet as ever and can get 35-45 mpg depending on the trip.  Car's not worth much if traded or sold but worth a lot more to me, so I plan to keep replacing failed items at £200-£300 a pop and keep it going until a really major thing goes wrong or it fails mot etc.  How much should I spend keeping it running per year - and how do you calculate the economical cut-off point when running older high mileage cars?

Also, is 157k miles a lot for a 1.8vvti?  What mileage have  other Verso owners managed (I guess diesels do more)?

How long is a piece of string.????...that mileage is not horrendous...I've known some VVTi engines easily reach 200k without  any major work or failures....and still keep going.

You do a fair amount of miles p.a. so it has to be expected that things will fail and need replacing..but it's done well so far and so long as you keep a sensible maintenance routine going (frequent oil changes etc) then it should continue to do well for you.

If you have to spend a few quid on it now and again then so be it...that's not unreasonable...and you balance all that against how much you like the car and what it will cost to replace it.!!

15 hours ago, spog1 said:

and how do you calculate the economical cut-off point when running older high mileage cars?

I would imagine when the cost of repairs is higher than the depreciation would be on a newer model ...?

Maybe posted this too soon - the engine management light came on again today , D'oh!

Oh well, taking back into have it diagnosed Wed or Thursday.  Hopefully nothing too expensive.  Could be the other coil packs, maybe should have had all 4 done at the same time?

Turns out it's the catalytic converter, oh b*ll*x!  Must have gotten damaged during the misfire and when the O2 sensor was out of action possibly?

Mechanic says that it will be 'expensive' to replace so on a 10 year old 160k mile MPV then yes, probably not worth it.  So maybe thinking that if I can drive it with a broken CAT until the MOT then look for a replacement in the mean time.  Any idea how long it might run with a failed CAT?

It might be worth sourcing a second hand cat

On 2/12/2018 at 6:58 PM, alan333 said:

It might be worth sourcing a second hand cat

definitely a good idea. I got a used one one on a different car from the breakers for not much money

• 2 months later...

2 months on update.  It wasn't the cat that was causing the engine fault after all. Some cataclean was added and then the cat tested fine.  The codes were reset and light went out only to reappear 3 days later.  The car runs completely normally and the engine is as smooth as ever.  Our mechanic says just ignore light as it is likely a slightly sensitive sensor with some water ingress that is setting it off.   I intend to keep on driving it now and see what happens at the next MOT next January.  In the meantime I have good breakdown cover :-) 

• 2 years later...

Isn’t the service interval every 10k miles? You’re servicing every 15k to 20k miles so you’ve done very well.

On 2/12/2018 at 6:17 PM, spog1 said:

Turns out it's the catalytic converter, oh b*ll*x!  Must have gotten damaged during the misfire and when the O2 sensor was out of action possibly?

Mechanic says that it will be 'expensive' to replace so on a 10 year old 160k mile MPV then yes, probably not worth it.  So maybe thinking that if I can drive it with a broken CAT until the MOT then look for a replacement in the mean time.  Any idea how long it might run with a failed CAT?

Wouldn't hurt to run a bottle or 2 (not at same time) of this stuff through, to see if it clears up the catalytic converter problem.

https://www.wynns.uk.com/product/catalytic-converter-lambda-cleaner/