Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Full tank X how many miles to empty displayed?

birdseye

On the Gen 4 Prius,

When the tank is full how many miles does the indication usually show that you could supposedly drive to empty ?

I know it's not accurate but our dealer has asked us to run the tank down to the reserve & refill the tank & reset the trips in order to test a big mpg drop after they serviced it,  the red light came on with it showing 32 miles left & after a refill it shows 575 miles,  is that normal?

Seems fairly reasonable to me. Similar to what I see.

21 minutes ago, GreenJuice said:

Seems fairly reasonable to me. Similar to what I see.

I'm thinking that it only takes into account the distance with the engine actually running so for distance actually travelled including electric mode it will be a fair bit more

I thought it worked it out from a previous mileage recording, perhaps some kind of average, so it would take into account the combination of both petrol and electric usage.

• Like 1

I'm not sure, the tank only holds 43 Ltr which is around 9.5 imperial gallons,  if I calculated using my displayed 575 miles  from a full tank then divided by 9.5  it would be around 60mpg which is way too low

I found on my Gen 4 Prius, when I took delivery (dealer gave me a full tank), it estimated about 850 miles, which I knew was wildly optimistic.

After a few fills, it became more realistic, showing some 600 miles in the summer and 500-550 in the winter.  This broadly reflects my own calculations.  It certainly seems to use recent performance, and by my calculations, there's usually 30-40 miles in reserve when it gets to zero, but that assumes the tanks holds what the book says it does and I've filled it to the max (which I try to do to make my tank to tank calculations as representative as possible).

I wish it still had an 11 gallon tank like the original Gen 1 Prius, that would give me a realistic range of well over 700 miles.  As it is, 623 miles is the most I've had between fills, and on that occasion the car thought I had 4 miles left, and my database estimated 43.

My warning light comes on with 35-40 miles left according to the car's display.

I've never risked going below 0 miles on my present Gen 4, but once or twice in the Gen 3 it suddenly went from estimating 10-12 miles left to zero, and a few times I did up to 10 miles with zero showing.

The Gen 1 & 2 Prius didn't have a range estimate display, and I often did up to 50 miles with the warning bar flashing on the fuel gauge, but never actually ran out.

Hi if I run my Gen 4 to the warning light coming on I still have 2 gallons left in the tank my Gen 2 and Gen 3 were much the same so by my calculation there is about 120 to 140 miles left in the tank not 30 as indicated 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links