Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Great car, ride too firm.

david brydon

Hi, new to the forum. Joined because I love my IQ!

I work as a travelling care-worker and I carefully chose the IQ for its suitability for this task.

It 's economical, easy to park, has good headroom for getting disabled passengers into.

Plenty enough room in the back to fit wheelchairs and/or shopping.

The only negative is the unforgiving ride which doesn't cope well with todays terrible road conditions.

It's noticeably worse than a Renault Clio I drove once.

Can anyone advise on changing the suspension for a softer ride?

I don't know about aftermarket suspension to make it softer. I would imagine even with fully adjustable coilovers, they would be firmer even at softest setting. If you are on 16" rims, maybe going down to 15" as fitted on the 1litre model might give you a softer ride due to increase in tyre wall?

Increase in tyre sidewall could work (there'll be more cushion to soak up the bumps) but dependent on the mileage and life your IQ has had, it could just need new OE suspension. I'd say a new set of shock absorbers could help? New set of OE springs too could help but I reckon the shocks would make more of an impact (I'd like to know what others think?) :)

The iQ is unfortunately a pretty harsh ride. It's a combination of small, light car and short wheelbase. 

I always thought the recommended tyre pressure was very high and reducing it might offer a bit more flex in the tyres. Don't go to the point of being too soft as that would be dangerous but 30psi all around is fine. I run wider and bigger tyres (205/45 17) in the summer and they run best on 28psi but they are a different size so will be a different pressure.

I always found the car smoother when it had weight in it, especially in the back. 

Craig.

I run 17" run flats and it's always going to struggle on roads other that super smooth, but I knew I wasn't buying a Rolls Royce ride and don't mind it to much.... 😊 

Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking of changing to winter tyres due to the softer compound, but then I read

they'll wear out fast in Summer.

I'm going to investigate changing the suspension, discussing it with some mechanics and

see what if anything can be done.

If they do them in the correct size check out Michelin CrossClimate/CrossClimate +.

2 hours ago, david brydon said:

Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking of changing to winter tyres due to the softer compound, but then I read

they'll wear out fast in Summer.

I'm going to investigate changing the suspension, discussing it with some mechanics and

see what if anything can be done.

when i had winter tyres on my last Aygo the ride was softer, and i didn't notice increased Tyre wear in the summer.. its not like our summers are that hot.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links