Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris hybrid oil & Filter £68 #GoodToTalk

Ricey155

Right, I've been here before and with the Wifes Yaris Hybrid 2 years old it needs the big service (20k) cars done 13k  @ £295.00 luckily my lad is a trained mechanic with his own unit. So in line with service requirements I bought the oil and filter from Toyota and when the wife rang up it was £68.23 (yes that's for 5 litres and a filter) I S you not. 

OK you guys love a nice shiny showroom to pay for, well I bought a car not a glossy showroom so when I arrived to collect I told them to hold the oil (they got it as not in stock) and told them i was buying it elsewhere for £38.99 delivered (genuine like for like) 

Luckily Listers Nuneaton matched the price, so as said its good to talk. saving £15.00  Paid £53.23 (still a lot) 

Back next week for the hybrid check @ £45.00 I'll suck that up as nobody else can do it. Oh I get a free car wash :-) 

free coffee by the gallon next Thursday. 

Really happy with the car, in fact, other than poor MPG (50/51)  I guess it needs time to break in my Abarth 500 took 25k to give me better MPG 

Mod edit - shouting removed.

Fine.

If you keep it beyond the new car warranty, and experience a major fault for which you approach the manufacturer as regards some help, you'll will probably lose any goodwill.

The only reason I went for my, as then, 3 year old Yaris Hybrid was because of the 5 year warranty. I would not consider any complicated vehicle without such cover and, indeed, I have now extended it for further 2 years. I think your warranty will lapse unless you do the full service at 2 years. I had to do my 60000 mile service (cost over £400 with MOT and stuff) at 57000 miles. Using Toyota also has the service logged on the Toyota system.

Note that the 20000 mile or 2 year service has an inverter coolant inspection - if the inverter fails the car is probably scrap :sad: You also get a corrosion inspection for the 12 year warranty, so this will probably lapse.

5 hours ago, Ricey155 said:

Really happy with the car, in fact, other than poor MPG (50/51)  I guess it needs time to break in my Abarth 500 took 25k to give me better MPG 

should also improve when the weather warms up.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies appreciate them 👍

I failed to point out my son's a qualified mechanic and he's doing a full service, Toyota are doing a safety check next week when they check the Battery

As for goodwill, agreed you read every day these companies helping out when the warranty is a day late. 

Today I get my cambelt done on my abarth 500 8yrs and 33,000 cost £63 parts and 4-5 hrs labour. Fiat wanted £400+ I'll not over pay for anything. 

Hoping the mpg improves as petrol isnt coming down anytime soon. 

Ev next car for sure. 

Bear in mind that the garage doing the service is supposed to be vat registered (perhaps your son's business isn't?), and you need to prove that maintenance was done to Toyota's standards and intervals and the onus is on you to prove it, ie keep detailed receipts.

Good point he's not, I've got receipts for dealer parts etc - I'll take my chances on Toyota and the build quality and reliability. 

£200 saved is a lot of repair funds down the line. Plus Tesla 3 will be out in 18 months so it will be moving on. 

Yeah, but good luck getting one! They're not even putting them on display in the Tesla dealers here because the lead time is so long they don't want people ordering them then getting mad that they won't see it for a few years!

The 3 is going to be up with some stiff competition tho' - I actually prefer the new Leaf currently as it has actual tactile controls - I really don't like the touch-screen display as you really have to look at it to do stuff, which means it is not safe to do even simple things like change the temperature while you are driving until you stop! The 3 has so much free space without the extra controls too, but instead of using it for storage or something it just goes to waste.

I'm not sure if this is yet another senseless trend in the motoring industry - The Mk1 and 2 Yarisuseisiesis are smaller than the Mk3 but the Mk3 has incredibly poor storage by comparison.

Personally I wouldn't get either tho' - Both are far to large and unwieldy for my use purposes. I'm waiting for something Yaris/Aygo-sized - near-3.5m long, so I can actually park it in London! - that can do at least 300 miles at 70mph. No one is even close to that yet, so I think I'll be waiting for a few more years yet! That said, EVs are starting to ramp up faster now that Tesla have paved the way in the market so hopefully development will accelerate too and get there faster!

• Thanks 1

In fact the third generation Yaris isn't much larger than the second generation. Depending on version (2011-2014, 2014-2017 or 2017 onwards), the third generation is around 85-150mm longer, width is the same, and height either the same or 20mm lower. Boot space is 29 litres more.

The Mk3 is longer than the Mk2 as much as the Mk2 is longer than the Mk1, but with it losing the sliding rear seats and all the clever storage cubby holes, it has lost the TARDIS-effect the earlier ones had IMHO. It doesn't help that the engine bay takes up more of that length than in the Mk2!

That may be a plus for maintenance tho' - The Mk2's engine bay is the shortest of the 3 version of Yaris, making it quite cramped; Even the air filter of this 1.33VVTi is a PITA to get at compared to in my old 1.4 D4D!

The engine bays and frontal areas of later cars have to accommodate increased protection for pedestrians in the event of a car/pedestrian collision, which is the main reason for them taking up more space than earlier versions. More deformable bonnets, specified clearances between bonnets and engines, and the increased use of plastics at the front of cars has made them safer in these types of collisions.

Yeah, the Mk1 and Mk2 do not have very high ratings for pedestrian safety...

I sometimes want to stick that rating to the front to discourage pedestrians from stepping out in front of my car, but sadly I don't think it would make a difference! (Driving in London is so great!)

7 hours ago, Cyker said:

Yeah, but good luck getting one! They're not even putting them on display in the Tesla dealers here because the lead time is so long they don't want people ordering them then getting mad that they won't see it for a few years!

The 3 is going to be up with some stiff competition tho' - I actually prefer the new Leaf currently as it has actual tactile controls - I really don't like the touch-screen display as you really have to look at it to do stuff, which means it is not safe to do even simple things like change the temperature while you are driving until you stop! The 3 has so much free space without the extra controls too, but instead of using it for storage or something it just goes to waste.

I'm not sure if this is yet another senseless trend in the motoring industry - The Mk1 and 2 Yarisuseisiesis are smaller than the Mk3 but the Mk3 has incredibly poor storage by comparison.

Personally I wouldn't get either tho' - Both are far to large and unwieldy for my use purposes. I'm waiting for something Yaris/Aygo-sized - near-3.5m long, so I can actually park it in London! - that can do at least 300 miles at 70mph. No one is even close to that yet, so I think I'll be waiting for a few more years yet! That said, EVs are starting to ramp up faster now that Tesla have paved the way in the market so hopefully development will accelerate too and get there faster!

New leaf is ace but again no Battery cooling tech so rapid charges hurt the Battery like 24,/30kw versions - and range is still off. 

Their 60kw version next up is probably the car to have especially if batteries come down further 😎

I love the Yaris is so smooth, the abarth is going for the ev 

8 hours ago, Cyker said:

I'm waiting for something Yaris/Aygo-sized - near-3.5m long, so I can actually park it in London.

The new Nissan Micra could be the next in line as an EV. If it used Leaf tech and if it is a 40kWh, I may go for it.

8 minutes ago, Mike J. said:

The new Nissan Micra could be the next in line as an EV. If it used Leaf tech and if it is a 40kWh, I may go for it.

Could be - although it is based on the current Clio so not an all new design,  and is built in the same plant as the Clio.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links