Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Exhaust Pipe has corroded

Jddono

Hi All,

My 2001 Yaris suddenly started to make a louder engine noise/rattle.

I took a look under the car and saw that the exhaust pipe has broken away at the connection between it and the rear box (see pictures). I don't know much about cars, will I need a complete new exhaust, or can the pipe just be replaced?

Thanks

James 

20180212_130025.jpg

20180212_125940.jpg

20180212_125952.jpg

It would be difficult to weld/repair that section of pipe and keep the integrity of the joint. It would quickly break again. Just buy a new centre section from somewhere like Eurocarparts, and get a local garage to fit. An hours worth of labour charge.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is what happened, in the exact same place on my old 1999 1.0 CDX Yaris, and the problem is that on these early models, the centre section is one piece with the front catalytic converter, so there were 2 options for these. The first option was that you buy the exact same pattern part containing the front cat, and the centre silencer, and this fits directly onto the downpipe flange pretty easily, but is expensive due to the price of the cat. The other option is to buy a "repair pipe" which does not include the front cat, and only contains the centre silencer, but you have to saw through the existing centre pipe between the cat and the centre silencer, in exactly the right position, and then use a clamp to fit the new "centre pipe" to the old, remaining part of the original centre pipe. The second option is much cheaper, as you are not buying a new cat, but is more involved as you have to cut the pipe yourself and if you do it wrong, then you will end up needing the complete centre pipe plus cat. Its also a better idea to replace the back box at the same time, as it wont be long before this rusts through as well and your will end up having to separate the joint again.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same thing happen, rusted at the joint to the back box so replaced it and they welded it to the old pipe.£140 for parts and labour, not sure if thats good price?