Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2013 Hybrid ODO reading reset to zero after clock change

Jim45

Due to a fault in the back lighting of my instrument panel, Toyota have agreed to replace the clocks on my 13 plate Auris Hybrid  Excel under warranty. They need to order them & I have the car booked in on 26th Feb. I have just been to collect the car as they have had it for several days trying to determine the fault, to my surprise the Service assistant informed me that the new clocks will not show my original mileage but will show zero and I will also lose all historic mpg info etc. 

I am genuinely shocked at this as I understood total mileage etc was stored in the vehicle ECU and could be programmed into the new clocks, anyone care to comment?

I have had 20 year old cars that have had clock changes  with the original mileage transferred to the new clocks via the dealers diagnostic equipment. If this isn’t the case with a much more modern high tech car then I’m very surprised and somewhat annoyed.

That doesn’t sound right to me. Surely they’ll be able to adjust the overall mileage  to the new unit. Historical mpg data etc is likely to be lost though.

If you decide to sell the car in the future you will have to explain why the mileage is different and sell it at the higher mileage to stay the right side of the law (displayed+original) which is quite a faff.

Try contacting Toyota directly and other dealers and ask them if it can be done, I’m sure it can.

Yeah, it seems on a lot of cars the odo data is stored in the dash itself; Had the same thing with my dad's old Ford Focus and my friend had the same with his Audi A3 when both had their instrument clusters changed due to faults.

In both cases it was possible to change the odo to display to correct mileage, but the dealers were charging more than either was willing to pay. (For the Focus it was twice what we paid for the instrument cluster IIRC!)

I'd be surprised if it isn't possible on Toyotas too tho'!

Edit: According to this it's just stored on an EEPROM chip in the instrument cluster https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq6SlyVE4zQ

Thanks for the replies, I am sure you are both correct, I have e-mailed Toyota for their comments. I shall report back.

i have found a company in lancashire that can perform milage correction on the new clocks

http://reverse-it.co.uk/

just make a note of the milage when the car went in and have this milage put back on the clocks.

i would tell toyota your intentions as they will be adding the milage on your old & new clocks

together to calculate the vehicles milage thus the car's milage will of doubled in their eyes.

i have had this done many years ago when i bought another set of clocks with lower milage on them

i have to say the company told me they had never been asked to add milage on before.

I fully expect Toyota to be able to recode the new clocks, I think the dealer has made an error. 

i'll think you'll find that your dealer is correct and the milage will show 000000

the TIS system they use probably wont allow then to complete a milage change

this way the system cannot be abused,third parties on the other hand can and do

have the knowledge to reprogram the dash,the last car I had milage corrected on

I had to remove the clocks assembly then remove the speedo so the company could

connect directly to the back on the clocks and make the correction. 

I’m sorry that doesn’t make any sense,  In that case Toyota must be the only manufacturer that.can’t maintain the ODO information. 

I agree that abuse needs to be avoided but we are talking about the dealership here not some random back street cowboy with a laptop and some dodgy software. 

An update

Sadly no reply from Toyota to my e-mail, but I spoke to the Technician who diagnosed the fault and he said that he was almost certain the ODO will be 0000.

Frankly if this is true I’m highly displeased as this seems possible on every other new car when replacing clocks with virgin clocks with zero mileage. Regardless of the stamp in the book stating that the clocks have been changed most prospective buyers will be suspicious of any car with the mileage not showing correctly when I come to sell the car.

i know third party companies can do this for a cost, but don’t see why I should have to pay to preserve the correct mileage on my car. Surely the ‘abuse’ if there is any is displaying zero mileage on a car with 20k mikes on it, not in correctly displaying the correct mileage?

Hyundai, and presumably also Kia, when they replace an instrument cluster, do the same as the Toyota technician thought - ie the odometer is zero, and the change/previous mileage is recorded in the service and warranty book and in the digital service history.

Since the inception of "Block exemption" were the law requires that the diagnostic systems used by manufacturers must be made available for anyone to purchase Toyota took the decision to remove the ability from the diagnostics equipment to prevent the abuse that would invariably occur. 

It is a bit silly; If they were worried about abuse then they could have just made it able to increase the odometer but not decrease it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cyker said:

It is a bit silly; If they were worried about abuse then they could have just made it able to increase the odometer but not decrease it.

A very sensible observation

I nearly bought a qashqai Tekna, almost drove it away,. Noticed two lines across the screen refused the car and got the Auris.  Anyway the car was offloaded to a 2nd hand dealer and is on sale with a new screen with roughly the same mileage as the old screen

1 minute ago, catnash said:

I nearly bought a qashqai Tekna, almost drove it away,. Noticed two lines across the screen refused the car and got the Auris.  Anyway the car was offloaded to a 2nd hand dealer and is on sale with a new screen with roughly the same mileage as the old screen

Probably mileage corrected (abused😁) by a third party company!

Just received this reply from Toyota Customer Relations

“Thank you for your email regarding your Toyota Auris Hybrid.

I am sorry to hear that you have been experiencing issues with your vehicle. 

I have been in contact with technical here at Head Office and they have confirmed that the information that H W Moon have provided you is indeed correct. When a combination meter is replaced there is not the function to write the odometer. 

I apologise for any disappointment this may bring.”

I wonder how much that would affect the resell value?

I know personally I wouldn't touch a car with an inaccurate odo unless it was heavily discounted!

I know my dad didn't get much for his Focus when he part-ex'd it for his Verso, but how much of that was the Odo being 78000 miles wrong and how much was the fact that it was an old Ford Focus (And therefore virtually worthless anyway :laugh:) is anyone's guess!

28 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I wonder how much that would affect the resell value?

I know personally I wouldn't touch a car with an inaccurate odo unless it was heavily discounted!

It’s not inaccurate if it’s correctly logged by Toyota.

Remember loads of third party companies can adjust your mileage reading at the click of a mouse, it’s the documentation that proves the mileage rather than the car itself 

Remember the fault is only caused by  a couple of faulty LED’s behind the cluster, no big deal. 

Had this (and many other) fault fixed on my old Renault Scenic when the instrument panel failed. That too came with the mileage at 0000 miles. As it's all properly recorded, I had no issues selling the car after.

10 minutes ago, kennybase said:

Had this (and many other) fault fixed on my old Renault Scenic when the instrument panel failed. That too came with the mileage at 0000 miles. As it's all properly recorded, I had no issues selling the car after.

I hope you’re right👍

• 4 weeks later...

Instrument Cluster finally replaced  (3 week wait for parts) by Toyota dealer last Tuesday. Odometer was zeroed and note made in service booklet.

one thing I do find annoying is how service and repairs are described on the digital service record. How on earth is any prospective buyer supposed to interpret what has been done. 

This is the entry for my instrument cluster change 

***********************Warrant, Customer waiting,CARRY OUT VISUAL SAFETY REPORT, METER ASSY, COM,

Totally useless. 

5 hours ago, Jim45 said:

one thing I do find annoying is how service and repairs are described on the digital service record. How on earth is any prospective buyer supposed to interpret what has been done. 

This is the entry for my instrument cluster change 

***********************Warrant, Customer waiting,CARRY OUT VISUAL SAFETY REPORT, METER ASSY, COM,

Totally useless. 

a prospective purchaser should not have access to the digital record (MyToyota). If you want to show them your hardcopy service/invoice fair enough & my experience is that is usually more informative.

Yes it would be for a service but warranty repair work is not supported by any paperwork. I would like to print out the digital record to support the entry in the Service book. 

Just now, Jim45 said:

Yes it would be for a service but warranty repair work is not supported by any paperwork. I would like to print out the digital record to support the entry in the Service book. 

I never had any entries in the service book for warranty work & the invoice already supports any service entry.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links