Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gen2 to Gen4

RelaxedDrive

Just a followup for those thinking of upgrading:

• Being tall, I do miss the higher seats in the gen2 which I found more comfortable - the gen2 gave me some thigh support, I cant get that anymore.
  • The economy is very good. So far I have had 66mpg, 68mpg and now 70mpg(measured at pump, not the displayed car mpg); I like the way this is heading!  (The car is not really run in yet and we have warmer weather now.  I would get aroung 56-58mpg in the gen2 at the same time of year).
  • I only use the 'normal' driving mode and I have aircon always enabled and climate set to eco.
  • I still think the gen2 might be a little bit quicker off the line, but I don't miss the gen2's horrible braking/skipping when going over bumps/potholes.
  • It is so much nicer to drive than the gen2. Almost fun!
  • I turned off the road sign assist, it was wrong a lot and prevented me seeing the instant economy bar next to the speedo (like the gen2 bar), which truly tells you when that engine is off.
  • I find the auto wipers pretty good.
  • I find the visibilty is genreally better, although it's a shame you can't invert the mirror at the top off the windscreen like before.
  • I have not yet seen another gen4 mid cycle refresh on the road, so it's nice to drive something a bit different.
  • I gave up on mirrorlink - just hoping carplay may arrive given my car has MM17 multimedia like corolla and rav4
  • I am keeping an eye on any feedback(PeteB!) on the latest Rav4 hybrid, as that has seats that would suit me more (but I would miss a lot of prius features/running costs!)

On 3/21/2019 at 3:30 PM, kithmo said:

Maybe it's because you don't speed 😉

Of course, Keith, thats obviously it. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RelaxedDrive said:
  • ...I am keeping an eye on any feedback(PeteB!) on the latest Rav4 hybrid, as that has seats that would suit me more (but I would miss a lot of prius features/running costs!)

DId you see my test drive notes?

I have many mixed views - I'm only changing because of the hip problems that I'm having since I got the Gen 4 Prius with its low floor and seats.  In almost every other respect it's the best car I've had.

The RAV does have some things I like, such as (obviously) the higher entry & exit, all wheel drive, electric memory driver's seat, electronic auto parking brake with hold, headlight cleaners and improved cruise control that will now be usable in 20 mph zones.

I will, however, sorely miss the HUD, and had planned never again to buy a car without it.  I don't like having the instruments so close either, having been used to having them further away for so long.  The ergonomics of the heating/ventilation switches and door mirror adjustment is better on the Prius too.  I'll miss the wireless phone charger, laminated sound reducing front windows with rain repellent glass, auto parking and glove-box light.  These are particular disappointments given the RAV is a new, more expensive car in Toyota's range.

I don't remember even upgrading a car and losing so many benefits, despite the other advantages of the RAV.  However, I couldn't find anything else that ticked enough boxes, including the driving dynamics being similar the the Prius and having a spare wheel.

As for running costs, apart from petrol, there's £135 road tax (zero on my Prius, but a new one wouldn't be of course), higher insurance, much dearer tyres and even the hand car wash will charge more!

The Gen 4 business edition; 15 inch wheels is the best Prius we have owned. ( Drivers side wiper is a nuisance: previously discussed).We previously owned Gen 2 and Gen 3 Prius; all good reliable cars. I agree with the comments on the auto headlights. On all Prius editions they are no good in snow or ice unless you fit winter tyres. My Apple I Phone S cannot be charged on the Prius charging pad. The MPG is excellent; the computer showed 84 MPG on a recent 60 mile non motorway trip. Toyota dealers are very helpful, better than all other dealers I have had dealings with. The skinny spare wheel is better than gunge but I would prefer a proper full sized spare wheel. The safety features are very good, and the car is fully stable in an emergency brake. My dealer is having a new car sale special  event and is endeavouring to get me to buy a new car and promising an exceptional deal. I do not do a lot of mileage and my road tax free immaculate 2017 Gen 4 suits me fine

• Like 1

> DId you see my test drive notes?

Oh yes, a very interesting read!  🙂