Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is it just my clutch that needs replacing or is it something else?

Eric619

Hi,

I’ve had my Toyota Corolla t sport 1.8 2004 for about 3 months now and it has been a lovely car, within those 3 months there has been a couple of problems which I’ve fixed, like the starter motor was replaced, hole in my radiator replaced and one of the coils ontop of the spark plug was replaced. Recently my clutch was slipping btw the car does have about 150,000 miles on it and I have been driving it a bit recklessly even though the clutch was slipping and there was a lot of smell from the clutch and it was slowly getting worse and just today I was driving and noticed my bitting was get higher and higher and suddenly it wasn’t hitting anymore which I believe the clutch is gone unless it’s another problem which I hope it isn’t and I was about to buy a stage 2 clutch at the end of the month which I still will if the clutch is the only problem and also when I put it into gear and lift the clutch all the way up it will not move or anything so I just wanted to know the problem.

Thanks for any help possible...

Hi,

It does sound like you have really burnt  out the clutch, so you need a full kit, clutch plate, cover and thrust bearing.

Once opened up you may find the flywheel is damaged, needing a skim or replacement.

If you do a Search on this forum you will find some posts where the Tsport guys have detailed their clutch replacements and type of kit fitted.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Does sound like a gone clutch TBH, can be harsh on them especially on then T Sports. Also LUK clutches have some positive reviews from other T Sport owners, which is what I may get mine changed with.

My Comps Clutch is even more weird than yours. Mines only done 62K and the clutch is slipping or I think it is the clutch. I have a switch fitted to turn the Magnetic clutch on my supercharger on and off. The clutch only slips when under boost, if I drive with supercharger off its fine, also going up hills is fine and when doing the clutch standstill test with handbrake up and trying in gear 2nd, 3rd and 5th the car stalls out. Either that or its something else but If i drive under boost after a while I can smell burning which suspects the clutch.

• Like 1

If the clutch has worn to the point of the rivets being exposed to score the flywheel, then factor that in, because skimming might not be an option - the clutch plate will need to be thicker! For any car, the moment I detect clutch slip, I change the clutch as soon as possible. You are never sure how much material is remaining , and how close the rivets are. Also the pressure plate tends to have less clamping force, due to age and wear and tear. Skimming also can affect clamping force!  

The best thing when the clutch is replaced, light pedal, and the knowledge you have a clutch that won't need replacing under your ownership (depends on your driving style and clutch use!). 

Aamir, I definitely have the clutch replaced now.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, it was actually the clutch that was gone and it was really bad lol but I replaced it and put in a stage 2 performance clutch kit into it.

• Like 1