Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Smoking T180 d4d

Stuhill21

Hi all very new to this so first of all a big hello to everyone . I think this may be a re visit to many people as I have read many threads close to my issues but not seem to find any answers 

basically own a 2007 low miles 67,000 t180 full service history last one a Toyota independent .  Like it full leather TVs it’s fully loaded the down side ... 

Bought the car 6 months ago it’s always s had a little smoke but recently got bad it dose white  smoke some days and blue black other days under load around 2500/3000 rpms  it went to the garage not long after buying it and the egr was stripped and cleaned as it had the normal cokes up blockages ,  full service including fuel filter genuine parts and correct oil etc never run on supermarket fuel only use branded fuel 

i know it has the re generation system but unsure how often it should be doing this . It doesn’t smoke stationary when revving up . 

It really is annoying as I love the car but don’t want to be driving a smoke machine any help would be great  the oil looks perfect and the antifreeze level is correct so the head gasket fine I just find my self driving looking in the mirror all the time ours didn’t have the engine re call replacement service I also rang Toyota and all the software is up to date on the car , it’s really strange as it drives perfect turbo pulls welll etc no lights on or issues unsure we’re to take it as dealers are not interested and a lot of independent don’t know the engines so could be tipping money down the drain ☹️

1 hour ago, Stuhill21 said:

Hi all very new to this so first of all a big hello to everyone . I think this may be a re visit to many people as I have read many threads close to my issues but not seem to find any answers 

basically own a 2007 low miles 67,000 t180 full service history last one a Toyota independent .  Like it full leather TVs it’s fully loaded the down side ... 

Bought the car 6 months ago it’s always s had a little smoke but recently got bad it dose white  smoke some days and blue black other days under load around 2500/3000 rpms  it went to the garage not long after buying it and the egr was stripped and cleaned as it had the normal cokes up blockages ,  full service including fuel filter genuine parts and correct oil etc never run on supermarket fuel only use branded fuel 

i know it has the re generation system but unsure how often it should be doing this . It doesn’t smoke stationary when revving up . 

It really is annoying as I love the car but don’t want to be driving a smoke machine any help would be great  the oil looks perfect and the antifreeze level is correct so the head gasket fine I just find my self driving looking in the mirror all the time ours didn’t have the engine re call replacement service I also rang Toyota and all the software is up to date on the car , it’s really strange as it drives perfect turbo pulls welll etc no lights on or issues unsure we’re to take it as dealers are not interested and a lot of independent don’t know the engines so could be tipping money down the drain ☹️

There is no way you can tell the software is up to date over the phone, the only way to tell is to plug the car into a diagnostic computer get the software version installed and then compare to the list of software updates available.

Thanks for the reply well it was last serviced by Toyota start of last year and I would of thought they would of done that on the service . 

Its just puzzling the car runs and drives fine etc powers great just this annoying smoke 

Software updates are not part of a service, they would only be applied in response to a complaint/fault.

There is a bulletin from Toyota that may apply.

EG-0004T-0110-EN

Subject: White smoke from exhaust, DPNR only.

Models: RAV4, Avensis, Auris, Corolla Verso

Model codes: ALA30, ADT251, AUR10, ADE157

DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON Some customers may explain about white smoke from the exhaust.

PRODUCTION CHANGE The ECU software has been improved.

What will they charge to do a Ecu update as you have mentioned that may not improve any thing again than you for your comment 

Just to say a really appreciate any information,  help provided on these sites they are a massive help with other people’s experiences and again the time taken to reply to messages thanks again to all 👍

There the stills as it’s pulling away then it clears seams to come and go between gear changes 

• 1 month later...

Presume no problems starting but note the info in this article, could it be water? http://www.uniteddiesel.co.uk/diesel-engine-problems

"White Smoke
Normally means that the fuel injected into the cylinder is not burning correctly. The smoke will burn your eyes.

* Engine/pump timing out
* Fuel starvation to the pump causing the pumps timing not to operate correctly
* Low engine compression
* Water/petrol in the fuel"

• 2 months later...

Hi sorry for late reply , basically I thing we have got to the bottom of it . The egr was originally removed and cleaned and re fitted to eliminate poor mpg after servicing it running some bg 245 into the fuel system and a number of other little things we manage to get the mpg up from 19.6 to 34.3 around town and late 40s on a motorway run on cruise . The smoke was just annoying car started perfect no loss of water , we revisited the egr valve to find in the butterfly there was a tiny bit of dirt holding the butterfly open when it should of been shut . After re assembleing the egr and going on a run the smoke has cleared and no issues , we are now 3 months in and still no smoke 👍

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links