Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Space saver wheel

Oscarman

Hi, hoping somebody can help me identify the correct size space saver spare wheel for a 2014 Auris hybrid which has 195/65R15 alloys fitted. Like so many other owners this model came with no spare just compressor and repair kit. Could anyone who has got a space saver for this car please let me know the size which is suitable. I was told a T125/70D17 would suit but not sure if thats correct also do I need different lock nuts or will the alloy ones be compatible with a spare tyre. Thank you. 

Attached is a list from Toyota of the correct parts required to add a space saver, note they list the kit as not recommended as it will fit but it eats into the lower boot space because the wheel well on a hybrid hatchback is not level 

Untitled.png

• Thanks 1

Devon Aygo thank you for getting back to me on this. The information you supplied was of great help. As suggested the kit is not suitable for my car but would I be correct in thinking the spacesaver wheel quoted (T125/70 D17) would actually fit my car as it seems to suggest it is the only size available? Am I correct in thinking the space saver would fit if you had 15, 16 or  17 inch wheels? Would appreciate if you had any suggestion on that. Thanks. 

A year ago I put the space saver in our 2013 Auris Hybrid.  Further to the chart above, I thought some pictures might be of use.

A shallower trim piece is required for the boot slam panel, this is very reasonably priced in the UK (less than £10). I have shown it next to the original piece in the picture.

The lower boot floor is not well supported and it is tilted (picture) when the wheel is fitted.

The wheel carrier is the one recommended by my dealer and was about £10, which seemed a bit steep, other very similar ones (for a Yaris?) are half that price.

The spare wheel is not big enough to accommodate the jack and handle, so these have to go somewhere else. (The photo shows the tyre size I have).

There are 4 rubber blocks that are needed to hold the metal wheel rim off the metal boot floor, but I used a heavy duty carpet tile instead.  Your spare wheel could go either way up, I can't see much benefit to either.

I have not used the wheel in anger, but your existing wheel nuts should fit, but will use the taper at their end to secure the wheel, instead of the flat/washer face they use on the alloy.

I have tried a full size alloy (195/65 x 15) in the boot, just because I have one.  The slam panel would need serious cutting to fit this in, it is very tight. The lower boot floor is then so high that it barely exists.

On the new Auris, the spare wheel is standard in the UK, and is fitted the other way up, meaning a different (longer) carrier/clamp is required.  Also,  these cars have completely different boot plastics  which finish the boot off properly, but that are (dealer) reported to cost hundreds when ordered as a spare part. (Last 2 pictures).

HTH

P1130940.JPG

P1130941.JPG

P1130944.JPG

P1130972.JPG

P1130958.JPG

P1070050.JPG

P1070051.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Gerg, they say a picture paints a thousand words, well yours has basically told me everything I need to know. All my options are plain to see with your very detailed description and pictures. I cant thank you enough for the effort you went to it is very much appreciated. Yourself and Devon Aygo have been very helpful and basically solved my problem. Thanks again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerg said:

On the new Auris, the spare wheel is standard in the UK, and is fitted the other way up, meaning a different (longer) carrier/clamp is required. 

This would refer to the current 2015 facelift, not the new third generation Auris being unveiled on 6th March

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gerg, would you be able to give me the part number for the shallower trim piece for the boot slam in picture one. Also where in the UK did you purchase this? Having a problem trying to source one here. Many thanks. 

Hi Gerg,

I would also like to know the part number for the shallower trim piece for the boot slam in picture one. Also where in the UK did you purchase this?

many thanks

Hi,

It was this:-

I bought it from my local dealer.  It was less than £10 and included the four clips that secure it.

I think the last two part number digits, C1, refer to the trim colour.  C1 was good for me, but you may need C0 (a different shade?), as this is listed in some parts breakdowns for the spare wheel kit for an Auris mk2

Once the two chrome 'D' securing rings are removed the trim just pulls straight up (against the four securing clips).

HTH

P1130971.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Gerg, thank you very much for your reply. I found one on eBay but they are  looking for £19. Will contact a Toyota dealer here to see if they can help order the part number. On a side note how can I leave positive feedback for members like yourself? 

22 minutes ago, Oscarman said:

On a side note how can I leave positive feedback for members like yourself? 

Towards the bottom right of each post is a circular button with a heart shape within - pressing that button effectively 'likes' the post and increases the poster's community reputation.

• Thanks 1

I picked up a space saver tyre plus the jack kit off eBay for £40 for my tourer. Basically popped it on top of a towel until I got around to buying the bump tops but haven't done so yet.  Wrapped the jack in a towel and nothing rattles.

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 6:33 PM, Gerg said:

Hi,

It was this:-

I bought it from my local dealer.  It was less than £10 and included the four clips that secure it.

I think the last two part number digits, C1, refer to the trim colour.  C1 was good for me, but you may need C0 (a different shade?), as this is listed in some parts breakdowns for the spare wheel kit for an Auris mk2

Once the two chrome 'D' securing rings are removed the trim just pulls straight up (against the four securing clips).

HTH

P1130971.JPG

just a heads up on this.

stopped by the parts department today after dropping the car off for MOT and service.

they are asking £84 for the "cover deck trim".

may think this one over a bit.

Well, this isn't going to help you much, but, I have managed to find the original invoice for the parts I bought.  I paid £5.68 + vat, so £6.81.

That's some price increase, over 1000%.  I can understand you hesitating about it.  Strewth!

Out of curiosity, I'll try to ring the supplying dealer tomorrow for a price query. If it's still cheaper, I could buy it and post it on to you, but I very much doubt that.  Looks like the decimal point got moved.  Their price lists will have been updated at least twice since then (every January?). (The 'N/STK' must denote a non-stock item, fwiw).

Auris Deck.jpeg

1 hour ago, older but wiser? said:

just a heads up on this.

stopped by the parts department today after dropping the car off for MOT and service.

they are asking £84 for the "cover deck trim".

may think this one over a bit.

Ask Parts-king for a quote

As my post above, rang the supplying dealer this morning.  As you might have anticipated, it has gone up. 

It is now £9.50 + vat, so £11.40.  It is not in stock, but is available for Tuesday delivery.

HTH.