Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2nd gen p0420 fault code

40jack

Hi folks, so just got my first prius. The seller told me an error code had come up and that they had read it and it was a cat fault so they replaced the cat. I purchased the car and drove it 200 miles back home no problem. 

So today another error code so I read it and it's p0420 bank 1. So I'm thinking o2 sensor but it won't tell me which one. The exhaust emissions smell quite rich. 

Any ideas. Thank you. 

Does your profile need updating to include the Prius.

59 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Does your profile need updating to include the Prius.

Hi, yes sorry. I've done it now. 

Sorry for late reply kithmo and thank you very much for the link. 

• 1 month later...

This fault is driving me mad.... So new cat and I've replaced both pre/post sensors also new spark plugs and maf sensor and still the fault. So took it for an hour diagnostic at FRF Toyota yesterday at cost of £107 only to be told that its inconclusive but they think its burning oil and that they can see signs of oil in the cat even though they didn't take it off. Today I've taken out the 6 wk old spark plugs and no signs of carbon build up associated with oil burn and there is no smoke coming from the exhaust. 

In pulling my hair out but the only thing I can think the problem is is the new parts.... The cat is an aftermarket cat due to the Toyota one being 1k the pre sensor is DENSO and the post sensor is a cheapy. 

What's people's thoughts?  I can't afford a Toyota cat but can someone recommend an aftermarket one that works? Should I get a gen Toyota pre and post cat sensor. 

Appreciate any help. 

Thank you Mike that is very helpful. I suspect its the new cat but I need to know which aftermarket cats will actually work. 

Hi Luke.

I am a firm believer of fitting Toyota made 'certain' parts and i'm afraid the CAT and Denso sensors fall into this category. I have read posts on here where people have fitted much cheaper Rav 4 centre exhaust boxes, (I have a Rav) and yes initially they have saves a lot of money but then read they took it off and fitted a genuine Toyota one. Yes I have hears success stories of copy parts being fitted but it's down to luck I feel and rather than you keep spending out on copy CAT's it might work out cheaper just to get an original one. I hope someone else writes in and tells you of a make of CAT that will work on your car but you might have a long wait so to speak. Incidentally how much is a genuine CAT and Denso sensor? May I suggest you try this man, he gives TOC members a discount......

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/profile/34014-parts-king/

john.devlin@lindop.toyota.co.uk

Just Google him for his phone number, he is also known as Kingo.

I personally have bought from him, a very nice man and very helpful and you can chat to him on the phone if you wish to.

Let us all know how you are getting on.

Mike.

Hi Mike, yeah I've fitted DENSO sensors, the trouble is Toyota want £1600 for a new cat, I just don't have that money at the moment. 

Hi Luke.

I think Toyota have many good points and are generally a good solid and reliable make of car but the price of some of the spare parts is just unrealistic, I think it's their biggest minus point.

I'd still contact Kingo, John Devlin, if I were you just to get his price, he organises delivery too.

If you don't know he's quite 'famous' on here and all his quotes are under no obligation at all, you are welcome to say I gave you his name.

I recently tried to buy a part from him but because my Rav isn't the latest model that means dealer wise they don't carry all the accessories, normal service parts yes but 'extra's' no so he let me know where ex. latest model accessory end up and I got one there instead, just a helpful guy who saves you money too.

Mike.  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links