Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Another tyre question

Willss

I have an Avensis tourer and an Auris tourer and have noticed a massive difference with regards to winter handling.  

The auris is a 1.6 petrol manual on 16" wheels.  Current tyres on the front are Michelin Energy Saver + with about 6mm of tread.  On the rear are the original Dunlops with about 3-4mm of tread (to be replaced imminently).  My trouble tends to be with front end grip.  Pulling away I often spin the wheels and when breaking they frequently lock even when the road is just wet not icy.  Today I couldn't get up a couple of hills whilst 99% of other vehicles could.  I know driving style influences grip on ice hugely and am confident that I am not that atrocious to be the reason why everyone else could go up the hill and I couldn't.  I drive the auris 90% of the time but when I do drive the avensis I don't have the same problems.

My question is......  are auris prone to lack of front end grip or when I change the rears is it worth changing all 4.  The Michelins have loads of tread (only done a few 1000 miles) and have good wet weather rating but they don't seem to work on my car.  What have people had success with and what is other people's experiences of the energy savers on an auris?

If you are a driver who likes to stick to the big brand names (and prices) then dont read any further.

For the last 7 years I have been putting on Evergreen tyres from China. Not only are they a good price, not expensive and certainly not the cheapest. I have put them on a Peugeot 307, Fiat Scudo van, BMW 320D, all round on a Yaris, and the front of 2010 Auris hybrid. Not noticed any problem in the wet nor dry. I remember one really bad weather day (snow/slush) being super confident when driving the Scudo van on the M-Way.  China produces millions of cars every year and they all need 4/5 pieces of round black rubber, Evergreen has come from that background and my local service garage recommended them (they fitted them to a fleet of taxis) and I tried them and felt no need to chage since.

I used Michelin Energy Saver tyres in the past for many years before discovering they were rated as a summer tyre.  Doesn't mean they don't work in winter, but just not as good a grip as some other tyres.

In the dim and distant past, I think tyres were of good average performance for both winter & summer, but in the drive for better economy, tyre manufacturers have in more recent times produced tyres which give better mpg, but at the expense of ultimate grip in the winter, and rated these as summer tyres.  Then they produced winter tyres (often called Mud & Snow) with a tread design giving better grip in slush & snow, for a loss of a bit of mpg economy.  Winter tyres also achieve better grip because the rubber compounds used are more suited to use at or below 7 deg. C.  Now we have more or less rounded the circle, in that at least a couple of manufacturers are marketing "all season" tyres, so back to where we started long ago :smile:

Having lots of weight over the driving wheels can help traction in slippery winter conditions.

3 hours ago, Notoyboy said:

Having lots of weight over the driving wheels can help traction in slippery winter conditions.

& on that what engine is in the Avensis? Apart from being a bigger/heavier car to start with if it has a diesel it has a a lot more weight in the nose over the driven wheels than a 1.6 petrol.

Also, what tyres are on the Avensis? It could be that the compound in those is better at low temp. than that of the Auris'.

Thanks for time in responding.  Avensis is a petrol as well but has Michelin Primacy 3 on it - seem much better than the energy savers - albeit obviously they are on different cars with different weights etc.  

Appreciate that cheaper tyres are probably just as good as branded in many circumstances but I hope (perhaps naively) that the branded ones have been better tested for all scenarios.  I had some Chinese cheapos on a Ford Fusion we bought 2nd hand once - they lasted forever and seemed to grip fine.  However, the fusion was never really driven at all hard so they weren't really tested.  The fact they lasted so long (40k and still on it when we sold it) suggests that the rubber was hard meaning grip may not have been brilliant but I don't know enough to really state that!

The main problem with the eco savers seems to be when it's very cold.  this supports the assertion that perhaps they are better suited to summer use.  I'd rather lose a bit of economy and have slightly faster wear if my next ones give me better traction/stopping.  Trouble is all the ratings on tyres give wet performance rather than wet performance at very low temperatures.  Maybe I'm thinking to much about and should just limit my driving on such cold days and save a few pounds!!! 

Michelin CrossClimates or CrossClimates +

6 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

Michelin CrossClimates or CrossClimates +

Funnily enough that was the conclusion I'd come to - for the fronts at least.  May move the energy savers to the rear, at least till next winter.

I'd add my + to the Crossclimates. Had some Chinese tyres fitted to the front of my HSD and recently, as they have worn (20k miles), they began losing grip and spinning up very easily. The crossclimates have transformed it; with the ride being smoother, softer and quieter and with the added benefit of cold weather performance.

I'll get the same on the back when the Pilot Sport 4's on the back need changing. Just a shame they are £125 a corner!

Interesting, thanks everyone. My 1.6 petrol Auris has always been a bit of a wheel-spinner on take-off, and yes, it's got Michelin Energys on the fronts. Will take a look at the CrossClimates.

6 hours ago, jgodfrey said:

I'd add my + to the Crossclimates. Had some Chinese tyres fitted to the front of my HSD and recently, as they have worn (20k miles), they began losing grip and spinning up very easily. The crossclimates have transformed it; with the ride being smoother, softer and quieter and with the added benefit of cold weather performance.

I'll get the same on the back when the Pilot Sport 4's on the back need changing. Just a shame they are £125 a corner!

Thanks for comments. 

Price wise Cross climate+  (205 55r16 for my auris) on the web are £82 each fitted (all inc') and if you buy 4 they come down to £76 each.  Seems like a good price to me then.  I'll go to my local tyre place and see what they can do them for with that price as  a fall back if they are a lot more - local place have looked after me in the past so I'd prefer to still use them.

I had Crossclimates on my previous Focus and wish I had them on my Auris this week with all the snow. I will be changing them this year and will be putting the Crossclimates on. With the Focus I used to put them on the front around the end of November and swapped them to the rears after I was pretty sure it wouldn't snow again. Chap across the road from me has a Prius with them on and he's got around everywhere this week when others have been stranded. We live at a village at 600 feet and have about 8 to 10 inches of snow!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links