Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SNOW!!!!

paulie b

Guys, I have two questions in this discussion.  1st  Should one set off traction control at snow ?  2nd What can one do against that clearance issue of that Aygo ?

On 09/03/2018 at 11:34 AM, aygoes said:

Guys, I have two questions in this discussion.  1st  Should one set off traction control at snow ?  2nd What can one do against that clearance issue of that Aygo ?

If there's a way to turn it off then yes, turn it off when on snow. The wheels will spin but the traction control system will stop the wheels moving completely, meaning you won't move an inch.

As for the clearance issue, it shouldn't be an issue really. I've never had a problem with clearance?

Will my 2012 Fire have traction control? If so where's the switch to turn it on or off?

20 minutes ago, paulie b said:

Will my 2012 Fire have traction control? If so where's the switch to turn it on or off?

Sorry, no traction control.

As far as I'm aware, vehicle stability control (vsc), also known as traction control, was introduced from August 2013. So a 2012 Aygo won't have vsc.

As regards turning vsc off in the second generation (2014 onwards) there is a switch to do this temporarily on the lower dash, to the right hand side of the steering column. It resets to 'on' when the engine is turned off. Turning vsc off will help retain traction in snow or slush provided one is prudent with the accelerator.

As with any small hatchback, underbody clearance is more limited than something like an SUV, but shouldn't be an issue if one is careful.

On 13.3.2018 at 11:20 AM, mickburkesnr said:

If there's a way to turn it off then yes, turn it off when on snow. The wheels will spin but the traction control system will stop the wheels moving completely, meaning you won't move an inch.

As for the clearance issue, it shouldn't be an issue really. I've never had a problem with clearance?

When am not stuck in snow and move properly, should I switch traction control off regardless whenever I see snow ???? 

29 minutes ago, aygoes said:

When am not stuck in snow and move properly, should I switch traction control off regardless whenever I see snow ???? 

I wouldn't. At least if it's wet and rainy it'll stop the car skidding out of control. It's just really in snowy conditions you should turn it off to allow your wheels to grip better.

Also running winter tyres (Conti TS860 on steel wheels) here. I didn't get stuck once and we got it pretty bad here in Norfolk, especially out in the sticks, when the wind picked up. Passed many a stuck 4x4 and battled on through a good 2' of drifts at times. 

I have no pictures from the UK event but I was in the Swiss Alps last week, a place that gets far worse snow than we do and only needed to stick some chains on for the steepest part of the Bernina pass.

20180311_104432.jpg

• Like 3

It's good to hear that the little Aygo can outperform four by fours! 

There must be some science behind this. Obviously front wheel drive helps, having the weight of the engine over the driving wheels, perhaps also the overall lightness of the car. The way it is driven will also contribute.

I didn't take my Aygo out (I'm retired - no need) but have driven in snow on many occasions. The best car I had was a little Citroen AX. The configuration was the same as the Aygo. Using ordinary tyres I was never once stuck, the thing would power up steep hills and past stranded vehicles, taking me to work and back through heavy snow without missing a beat.   

20 hours ago, paulie b said:

There must be some science behind this. Obviously front wheel drive helps, having the weight of the engine over the driving wheels, perhaps also the overall lightness of the car. The way it is driven will also contribute.

I think it's the profile of the tyres that make a big difference. Narrow tyres tend to work better in snow than wide fat tyres.

But you're more or less right. The lightweight of the car and the way the weight is positioned over the driving wheels does give a bit more grip. Also remember that most 4x4 drivers, when it comes to changing tyres, have to change all four corners at once. This gets expensive, so they opt for cheaper rubber. This too has an effect.

22 hours ago, paulie b said:

It's good to hear that the little Aygo can outperform four by fours! 

Many cars on proper winter tyres will outperform 4x4s on summers.

1 hour ago, mickburkesnr said:

I think it's the profile of the tyres that make a big difference. Narrow tyres tend to work better in snow than wide fat tyres.

proper winter tread design works even better ... but yes, it's a no of things that all contribute.

• Like 1

VSC and traction control are not the same. TC stops the wheels from spinning on ice or slippery road. VSC controls the vehicle during un intended slide so that you maintain your direction of travel.  All of these apply within the limits of physics and your vehicle and your tyres. TC and VSC has been mandatory in Sweden since 2008 and our Aygo from that time has it. It has saved us from many a slide on curved icy road, using winter tyres of course.

Using winter tyres,  Aygo can climb light up slope with ice and snow. It is that good in winter. My BMW 320i also with winter tyres had difficulty getting up that same slope some times. Aygo has skinny tyres and that means higher pressure on the ground and better traction in snow and ice.

In the EU, vehicle stability control became a mandatory fitment on new cars first registered from November 2014.

The first generation Aygo had VSC in the UK from August 2013.

According to the second generation Aygo's owners manual (page 209) the VSC fitted to the second generation Aygo includes traction control.