Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coolant Leak?

tarantula_123

Hi,

I recently replaced my radiator on my T - Sport, with a Nissen radiator, as I was experiencing coolant loss in both the radiator and expansion tank. I put some UV dye in and left for a while as the leak was slow, but eventually found that there was green dye on the edge/corner bit of the radiator, nearer the Battery side. I flushed the system with Holts, then with fresh water, then topped it with the correct spec coolant.

I checked and topped up for a while until it was full over a few days, but, when checking today, I have noticed the expansion tank has dropped to low, and there is a small puddle of coolant on the black tray underneath. I have not had a proper look around the system again to see for further leaks, but was wondering if anybody has any ideas on what they think it might be?

I used a whole 5l bottle of coolant for flushing, but still have a spare 1l bottle in case. I originally had coolant loss trouble before, and replaced my thermostat with a genuine Toyota one, before discovering coolant was in my passenger foot well, so I replaced the matrix with a genuine second hand Toyota one. My car has never shown any signs of over heating or anything like that.

Thanks,

tarantula_123.

Hi,

Is the Nissen rad a new one or s/h ?

Have you checked the rads drain tap or drain plugs are not leaking, same with the hoses and clips. if they are the old ones, remaking onto new parts can often cause a leak.

5 hours ago, oldcodger said:

Hi,

Is the Nissen rad a new one or s/h ?

Have you checked the rads drain tap or drain plugs are not leaking, same with the hoses and clips. if they are the old ones, remaking onto new parts can often cause a leak.

Hi,

The Nissen radiator is a brand new one. 

I have not had a proper check yet due to the weather here.

I did however replace the stock clip (i think it is called a pressure clip, which is self adjusting) on the lower radiator hose, with a manual adjusting jubilee clip, as I had difficulty working with the stock clip with my pliers/grips.

The panel underneath the drain tap/plug is dry, whereas the puddle of coolant is on the other side near the clip I replaced.

Thanks,

tarantula_123.

Hi,

They may look the same but there are lots of really crap jub clips out there which fail all too easily,  as I have found to my cost  before today, so buy some decent quality ones from a good trade stockist, not the ten for a pound types !

Also the hoses, probably original might have some slight damage / wear on its inner surface  which the clips cannot seal perfectly.

To be honest, on a 15 year old car,  doing what you have done,  I  think I would have replaced both the main top and bottom hoses and used  new jub clips all round.

Don't forget the rad cap, its a pressure device so might be releasing fluid due to weak parts/seals.

They say its going to be warmer tomorrow up to 1c ! :laugh:

20 minutes ago, oldcodger said:

Hi,

They may look the same but there are lots of really crap jub clips out there which fail all too easily,  as I have found to my cost  before today, so buy some decent quality ones from a good trade stockist, not the ten for a pound types !

Also the hoses, probably original might have some slight damage / wear on its inner surface  which the clips cannot seal perfectly.

To be honest, on a 15 year old car,  doing what you have done,  I  think I would have replaced both the main top and bottom hoses and used  new jub clips all round.

Don't forget the rad cap, its a pressure device so might be releasing fluid due to weak parts/seals.

They say its going to be warmer tomorrow up to 1c ! :laugh:

I got the jubilee clip from Halfords, which were around £3 for two different sized ones in a pack. I only resorted to that as I didn't expect the existing clip to be such a problem. If I had more time I would have picked up a cheap set of hose clamp pliers. I also used the cap that came with the Nissen radiator. I will definitely look into replacing the hoses regardless. I wouldn't mind one of the silicone kits, but they are expensive. 

I was debating whether to sell my T - Sport recently, but what I would likely get for it would not be worthwhile for the amount of money and effort I have put into it over the three years I have owned it. Saying that, I can't recall ever seeing a similar 5 door T - Sport with black leather interior on the market like mine, so I have decided to hang on to it, and put some money into looking after it. 

Hi,

Just a quick update on my coolant issue.

I topped my expansion tank up to full yesterday and a little in the radiator, and have drove it regularly since with no real leaks, only slight dampness on the undertray where there was a puddle before.

Today however, I have noticed damp inside the passenger footwell. It has a damp mouldy like smell, but there is no signs of leakage on the matrix pipes. Underneath my car mats on top of the carpet there is a smearing of a white coloured substance. The dampness does not appear to be on the right hand side under the matrix pipes though, more so on the opposite side to the middle. 

Any suggestions? Heat appears to be functioning fine on the car, and I did actually have my matrix done a while ago when the passenger footwell was wet.

Thanks.

Hi,

Have you had the air con on at all ?

It has a drain pipe which comes out under the passengers side carpet and out through a hole in the floorpan, so it its dislodged or perished it could be that causing the damp.

Sure its not a leak from a door seal /bodywork ?  sounds like it been there for a while if the carpets/felt smell and the white stuff could be a fungus growth  ? ?

59 minutes ago, oldcodger said:

Hi,

Have you had the air con on at all ?

It has a drain pipe which comes out under the passengers side carpet and out through a hole in the floorpan, so it its dislodged or perished it could be that causing the damp.

Sure its not a leak from a door seal /bodywork ?  sounds like it been there for a while if the carpets/felt smell and the white stuff could be a fungus growth  ? ?

Hi,

Yes, I have had the air con on, on and off. This is another problem with the car, because when I got it re-gassed at ATS last summer, it has lost a lot of cold temperature. I took it back in after a while, and they were happy to hook it up to the machine free of charge. He said it still has refrigerant/pressure, but something is causing it to cut off, then cut back on again. He suggested it may not be the compressor because of this, and suggested an electrical problem. I checked the main fuses in the engine bay, but they appeared fine. When I changed my radiator, I did notice the condenser looked a little battered.

When I get time I will have a proper look at the seals tomorrow on the door, and steam clean the carpet and try to dry it the best I can to dry it.

Thanks.